• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
Amadaun

Ask Me about RP!

The Inn is composed of one-liners. It requires people to be online so they can keep the story going. The Nexus is paragraph style, so people can add to the story and then come back the next day. I think that it might be nice to keep the two styles going if you guys are up for it.

I also like the idea of the split between sci-fi and fantasy. I'm not too keen on stories that try to merge the two, but that's my 2 cents.

Edited by AndalayBay

I don't quite like that. It seems overly complicated? Why do we need the nexus? You can bring Sci-Fi Characters into the Inn. There's no need to separate them.

I mean think about it. There's no need for multiple RP threads like that. It can all crossover easily, without much hassle. That's the point.

The thing with the Inn is that it's designed to basically be a Nexus, but for Fantasy characters.  When you brought your Sith in, it was kind of awkward because 99% of the characters were fantasy.  Ixa was the only one who could keep up with him.  Even Jeni and Jason were more technologically advanced than most, and went off on their own.  We did have a Fallout doctor, but he kind of vanished after he did his thing.

Every time we tried to mix fantasy and sci-fi, it went bad.  The sci-fi characters accidentally became God Sues because of their tech, and fantasy characters just got overwhelmed.  (Also recall that we came up with a more realistic healing system that wasn't just "drink a potion and be 100%"  Star Trek Medicine just breaks the storyline.)

Some modern-day characters like Jeni and Jason can pass between the two without breaking the narrative, but I vote for a split.

So you're saying, even if we update the Inn to function on a tech level like Steampunk it wouldn't be able to cater to Sci-Fi chars? I mean, if that's the only issue, then we can bump it up to straight up Magitech, with crystals. I also don't actually remember any awkward weirdness with my Sith, due to his tech. There also really wasn't anything happening in the Inn proper at the time of his arrival/existence.

O_o He had a laser sword, force magic, and Dashade bodyguard. I never mentioned his ship once in character that I remember. Then intended for him to go off with Goku into Dragonball Land, but then my friends quit the Inn. I don't see how this was a problem.

I think we're overthinking this. Honestly, anyone with enough magical power can stand up to  anyone with fancy tech, very easily. Unless we outright say their tech is magic dampening neutralizers. Which... I don't think we we have to worry about.

Edited by Onasaki

I'd just rather keep the two genres mostly separate and also available to all RPers.  At least for me, my sci-fi characters are very different from my fantasy characters.

On one hand I have Ixa, who is 100% magitech and uses portals and giant golem-robot-things.  On the other, I have Cla'nee, who lives in Oblivion-era Tamriel that we removed most healing spells from and replaced with basic first aid and herbs (because DRAMA works better when you can't heal the stab wound you just got).  On the third hand, I have Chayka who would just grow a third hand and molest someone with it in eldritch ways.

Um...

Point is, I can't play the two together, because it would just be several days of writing the Fish Out of Temporal Water trope aka Culture Shock.  And that's BORING.  Who wants to have the first week of writing every character basically be First Contact?  (And Chayka is NOT ALLOWED to go into space.  Nope.  No.  Nada.  NOOOOOOOOO.)

Prime Directive, man!  You don't share tech with pre-warp societies! :P

Can I say something? I need to say something. Since we're having issues deciding what could be a good way to go, why don't we go ahead and pick one of the options, run with it, and see how it goes? We can always change things up if we need to down the road. :)

We've got the two options, let's keep them and run with them. Nexus for sci-fi and Inn for fantasy. I'll update the forum descriptions to clarify. You guys format the posts in any way that feels comfortable.

Can I say something? I need to say something. Since we're having issues deciding what could be a good way to go, why don't we go ahead and pick one of the options, run with it, and see how it goes? We can always change things up if we need to down the road. :)

That's how the Inn got an upper floor!  For expanded RP possibilities.

(J/K, it was pretty much for sex.)

Screw the Prime Directive. Klingons don't follow the Prime Directive. THEY DO WHAT THEY WANT.

In all seriousness though, I really feel like you're overthinking the whole tech vs fantasy thing. It doesn't really have to be that culture shocky if you don't want it to be, but if you're dead set on having two separate forums then so be it. I just think it'll get confusing in the end.

Rilan just looks at a gun, and is like "Oh, that's rather fancy looking. Bully for you."

Edited by Onasaki

Let's just go with what VM says and give it a try.  If it doesn't work, we can change it.

Also, I'm still waiting for Jason to respond to Jeni in the Nexus!

Okay, so what are we going for?  Is the space port idea out of the window? 

The reason I ask is because we could start there with the ideas VM, Ama and myself have discussed and, later on, add an inn on the planet (i.e. an environment suitable for fantasy). 

Then we have a new, fresh start in a different environment with the ability to add a non-sci-fi area once we've got the new RP area established.

As the in-house RP master, I say launch the Nexus!  It'll take at least a week for me to fill out the Jeni and Jason thread up to where we left off and get myself into the mindset of the deuteragonist and play her properly.

Also, if anyone wants to play a DC Hero or Villain, that's the thread for it once I'm done!

Basically, we're nixing the Nexus stuff for Jeni and Jason, and starting off from where we left off (me and Ama). Or figuring out where we left off so we can either bring it back a tick, or finish it quickly and move on to better, and greater things.

You guys can probably just jump into the Inn or Cantina (Sci-Fi Inn), after your characters are approved and the forums are set, without waiting on us.

Edited by Onasaki

There are no forums to set up. Ona is suggesting that the Nexus be abandoned and we add the sci-fi stuff to the Inn, so forums would have to be set up. I don't believe that's what Ama was suggesting at all.

We're not nixing Nexus, Ona.

This setup seems rather convoluted. I would recommend simply having an IC board and an OOC board with a thread per game. OOC threads can have character sheets displayed on the main post under the premise description so as to have an easy reference that doesn't require browsing between pages of discussion, while keeping the IC clean.

Okay!  Lemme sum this all up!

The OOC area is the Character Introductions for both RP areas.

The Inn is mostly for Fantasy characters.

The Nexus is mostly for Sci-fi characters.

Modern-day characters are the easiest to have travel between the two, but if you want to do it anyway, DO IT.  Creativity first!  Just don't god mode!

The previous Inn is going to be archived until we fill in the missing parts.  Once that's filled out, the Jeni/Jason/Ra'Jarr/Qew/BATMAN adventure will continue properly. (#1 on my priorities list.)

For people who want to RP with any of the legacy Inn characters, check out their Character Bio area (again, to be updated) and send me a PM.

Any questions?

I'm sorry, but this doesn't work for me.  When I look at what's currently in the Nexus, it has Scarlett and a character VM created.  This section of the forum contains a RP attempt by VM and myself that was totally lost and confused.  I wish to move on from that, not re-embrace it.

From my own perspective, what was attractive about the ideas that we'd discussed early on in this thread, was the concept of a totally new start where there was the option of importing old characters from the Inn and/or the Nexus.  What was also attractive is the fact that yourself, Ama, and Onasaki have the RP experience to ensure that newcomers, in a fresh setting, have someone to go to and get advice if needed.

I'm finding the concept of re-hashing 2 existing threads confusing and muddled.  Simply put, I wouldn't know how to begin in the scenarios currently on offer and I'm not confident enough to set up a new character, or to use one of the already constructed characters.

Can we please re-consider.

I think things are getting a bit muddied here. The Nexus isn't changing, except to perhaps add some elements to make it easier to get going. Personally I prefer the idea of a spaceport. I don't think having an Inn-like construct on the ground is a good idea. Why copy any ideas from the Inn? They've been done already.

Since mixing sci-fi and medieval characters is just plain dumb, and the Inn was really intended for medieval characters, we decided to keep the Inn for medieval characters and use the Nexus for sci-fi and fantasy characters. We used the term "fantasy" earlier when really we meant medieval characters.

The Inn was originally conceived by Laxon. It was meant to be a forum-based roleplay setting for Elder Scrolls characters and for the most part, it has remained that way. When Laxon left the community, the stewardship of the Inn was turned over to Silencer, with the original concept intact. I don't think we should change the direction for the Inn. If you want to do that, then I think we should ask Silencer to add his input into the discussion.