• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Leaving IP.Board   11/13/2017

See full announcement here.
    • AndalayBay

New Theme Set Up   11/14/2017

We have a new theme created by Vincent that's now available to everyone. It has been set as the default theme, so everyone should see it when you refresh the page. If you still aren't seeing it, you can select it from the Theme drop-down at the bottom of the page. It's called Assimilation. Thanks Vincent. Awesome looking theme!
Sign in to follow this  
Amadaun

Ask Me about RP!

How about we do a list of areas and then take at least one each to write a description for?

I'd love to add/describe a tattoo/ augmentation shop.  Yes, I am a BIG Alistair Reynolds fan.

Posted (edited)

Just going to put this out, publicly, but uh, I'm probably not going to join this RP thing. It sounds like some good work is going into it, but it's not what I chimed in for.

I'm going to be frank here: I don't like this sci-fi crap, at all. I never did. Never wanted too. We came up with a perfect idea to do away with the super sci-fi tech while still keeping the Inn functional, yet we threw it out and started the new thing anyway. Don't get me wrong, it's all cool, you guys do you, but I'm probably not going to be involved.

I think it's a load of crap that sci-fi can't mix with fantasy, and that all the scenes would be culture-shocky for the non-sci-fi folk. Ama's reasoning was something to do with my Sith Lord having tech, and no one but Ixa could relate too. I disagree, mostly, because the main people I interacted with on that Sith Lord, were not all medevally-fantasy-type characters. Also, the scenes got frozen too many times to actually really judge, and I just personally think it was a dumb reason. Also, any highly advanced tech is going to seem like magic to any primitive species. I've learned this from the very goddamned thing everyone else was quoting, that being Star Trek. I've seen many episodes where they broke the Prime Directive to interfere with a lesser-evolved society.

Some of which worked out fine, and dandy, sure there was some hiccups, but the Enterprise always pulled through. And there was never anything seriously damning that happened in the Inn, in my time playing there that HONESTLY justifies this complete separation. I mean, I get wanting new things, but seriously. There's no reason for a separation, and I just don't agree with it.

Sadly, though, this is not my forum, and I really have no power here to say yay or nay. So I'm just backing off. You guys have fun.

Edited by Onasaki

Well, I'd suggest waiting to see what happens and then deciding if what we do is something you might enjoy joining in with.  Don't forget that to newcomers such as VM and I, resurrecting the Inn felt overwhelming and, from that perspective, a fresh start is welcome.

For your information, I haven't quoted from Startrek once.

It should at least be given a chance. I haven't really alluded to Star Trek at all. I took inspiration from Milliways for the facility but the rest has mostly been of my own devising (that which I contributed, of course, as I can't speak for the others).

Ona, it's fine if you don't like it.  You don't have to.  We're working behind the scenes on getting the Inn together, (because tech stuff) but until that happens, I want to build on this idea.

The Inn isn't going to die.  But I want the Nexus to live.

Should we start writing descriptions of areas Ama - is that our next step?

I'm off to Frightfest day after tomorrow, but I can at least think on the idea inbetween watching films.   :D  

I'm going to write a description of a tattoo/ augmentation parlour as soon as I get a chance (family event this weekend not long back).  VM, you mentioned a couple of areas in an earlier message, why not start with them?  Shall we aim to have something done by the end of Friday this week?

Yep, same here - we've so much on this September it's insane.

I've got to read and critique 2 stories for the writers group I belong to before I go the meeting in London this Sat, plus I've not written up my Frightfest review yet......  :frantics: 

I will do my best!

Apologies it's taken me so long but here's what I've got so far for the simulation room:

The entrance to the room is an unassuming circular crawlspace, designed to have a splendid visual effect so it may give the impression of something amazing and exciting past the entryway. The tunnel is long and lit by the walls, providing a solid wall of light. This tunnel opens up to a large room in hyperdimensional space so that it may provide any sort of view as requested or desired. As with the food serving part of the station, this room is also controlled by a mad intelligence, driven to this point not by muddy shoes but by being alone in a bizarre spacial existence. To this end, it has begun seeing colors and likes to talk to them on occasion and considers organic life-forms nothing more than parts of the palette. In addition to running the systems of the room, it is able to float around the room as a tear-drop shaped drone. This drone is able to float by hover jets and has countless microscopic projectors covering its surface so that it may assume any form it wishes, even if it can't give them a solid feel. In order to give the room some flair, the room also has a helmet. This helmet consists of electronic stimulators that are able to send impulses to one's neural pathways, allowing the brain to give corpeal existence to the various simulated views.

Sounds interesting VM.  Don't worry as I'm well behind.  I've had 2 afternoons to do 'my' stuff in since coming home from Frightfest and I've slept through both of them!

Things have been...not so good the past week and a bit, so it's going to be a while until I can post something that makes sense.

*steals trampoline and uses it to launch fruit at people*