Ask Me about RP!

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Visceral Moonlight

Visceral Moonlight

Baby Gator

• Wild Nuts
  • 11,625 posts

If you want to be accurate, the asteroid can't be "stationary". If you want it close enough to the planet for space vehicles or teleportation to transport people to the planet, then it needs to rotate around the planet. It would be a stable orbit, so it's not an issue for travelling to the planet, but it would rotate. In terms of having people arriving at the space port, I thought we had that be "magical" so that anybody could arrive, not just space-faring species.

So a series of portals then in the vein of Kingdom Hearts? I like that idea. We could have a landing pad, a room for portal arrivals, a shuttle pad....

Or did we want it magical in the sense that people just sort of arrived?

Edited by Visceral Moonlight, 19 May 2017 - 11:17 AM.

Sue

Sue

Roasted Red Freckled Pepper

• Wild Nuts
    • The Brotherhood of Old VA
    • Dark Brotherhood Chronicles
  • 1,077 posts

I think it would be interesting to have a scenario which allows for cargo.  There's plenty of scope for characters with stories around 'cargo', what you might be transporting, it's origins, whether it's legal or not etc., 

Perhaps the portals could be a 'magical' element which allows for the arrival of non-space faring species, that these species have teleportation at their disposal.

Schtearn

Schtearn

Mountain Hermit

• 1,071 posts

We want someone to be a portal operator as well. Well versed in the rules & regs of portal operation, capacity, safety of all teleportation devices & cargo- sentient or no. Good sense of up-down-left-right or - goodness knows what!

I'm Borg! I'm Chairman of the Borg! -Iggy & the Assimilation Pops

AndalayBay

AndalayBay

#ffc0db Wildebeest under #0000ff Flying Shoes

• Unofficial Morrowind Patch
    • Black Marsh
    • Wild Nuts
    • The Brotherhood of Old
    • TES3Gecko
    • Better Cities
    • Collective
  • 11,312 posts

We need docking bays.

Re. Characters; Okay, noted and thank you.  There's no problem here with sexual content or gore.  I think you'd enjoy Frightfest Ama - which does show Sci-fi and fantasy in with the horror/thriller/chiller/slasher films.

I might just have a cat with my character (I'll start small until I have the hang of this) - or would that count as 2 characters if Miss Kitty gets up to stuff of her own accord??

Oh I am so new at this.......

I'd say just introduce them together.  I did that with Jeni and Qew, and I also did that with two fully developed characters who were entering the Inn together.  Twice!

If you want to be accurate, the asteroid can't be "stationary". If you want it close enough to the planet for space vehicles or teleportation to transport people to the planet, then it needs to rotate around the planet. It would be a stable orbit, so it's not an issue for travelling to the planet, but it would rotate. In terms of having people arriving at the space port, I thought we had that be "magical" so that anybody could arrive, not just space-faring species.

To be fair, the distance to make an orbit geosynchronous would depend on the planet more than the satellite.  

Orbital equations are crap anyway.  Get beyond two bodies and no one has a damn clue and reverts back to Physics 101.  *gripe gripe gripe*  

I just kept it simple as it was absolutely impossible to get a straight answer from my aerospace engineer husband. Yeah for real, he's an aero. :P

Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands, and all you can do is scratch it!
-- Attributed to Thomas Beecham in reference to the performance of a female cello soloist

Amadaun

Amadaun

Himalayan Jumping Bean

• The Brotherhood of Old
    • Black Marsh
  • 1,908 posts

There is no straight answer. :lmao:  The three body problem makes me twitch and I switched majors my junior year!

1471_s.jpg

AndalayBay

AndalayBay

#ffc0db Wildebeest under #0000ff Flying Shoes

• Unofficial Morrowind Patch
    • Black Marsh
    • Wild Nuts
    • The Brotherhood of Old
    • TES3Gecko
    • Better Cities
    • Collective
  • 11,312 posts
Ok, Jimi says that the three body problem is unsolvable. That includes satellites. So if you have more than three satellites, you're screwed. He says that the best you can do is to use computer simulations, but you aren't going to have the first fucking clue where stuff will be 50 years from now. :P
  • Amadaun and Sue like this
Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands, and all you can do is scratch it!
-- Attributed to Thomas Beecham in reference to the performance of a female cello soloist

Visceral Moonlight

Visceral Moonlight

Baby Gator

• Wild Nuts
  • 11,625 posts
Sounds like we've got everything on the table. Give me a few days to put it all together and do a write up and we can see how it looks. :)
  • Amadaun and Sue like this

Amadaun

Amadaun

Himalayan Jumping Bean

• The Brotherhood of Old
    • Black Marsh
  • 1,908 posts

*glee*

1471_s.jpg

Visceral Moonlight

Visceral Moonlight

Baby Gator

• Wild Nuts
  • 11,625 posts
Do we want the asteroid field to be uncharted?

Amadaun

Amadaun

Himalayan Jumping Bean

• The Brotherhood of Old
    • Black Marsh
  • 1,908 posts

That depends on how much we want to make discovering the asteroids into a fun plot point.  Though we could always also make it a planet with lots of moons instead if you want to keep it a bit more under control.

1471_s.jpg

Visceral Moonlight

Visceral Moonlight

Baby Gator

• Wild Nuts
  • 11,625 posts
Okay, I've just written a general description of the system, asteroid, and facility on the asteroid along with the mentioning of our current planet. I'll try to get it typed up soon but here's the general idea I went with: the system is a living being with a mind of its and the asteroid facility is a combination mining facility, travel hub, tourist district, and city (I haven't described the facility much other than arrival area, I'm not good at creating cities :P).

For the arrival area, we've got a landing pad and a checkpoint. The landing pad is flanked by two buildings: one is a teleportation hub and the other is a series of doors with a gateway in the dead center. The doors each lead to a different spatial dimension while the gateway is the centerpiece of the room and provides a way for anyone who travels via other means to arrive. It doesn't redirect people when they enter a portal, just gives them an option allowing for them to go straight to a different place in the system if they wish.

The system lies in an area in which the space-time continuum is unstable, allowing it to exist anywhere and everywhere. It is a young system with only one planet and various satellites but desires more.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users