• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Leaving IP.Board   11/13/2017

See full announcement here.
    • AndalayBay

New Theme Set Up   11/14/2017

We have a new theme created by Vincent that's now available to everyone. It has been set as the default theme, so everyone should see it when you refresh the page. If you still aren't seeing it, you can select it from the Theme drop-down at the bottom of the page. It's called Assimilation. Thanks Vincent. Awesome looking theme!
AndalayBay

Updates and Announcements - May 2017

Posted (edited)

As I announced previously, I'll be doing the site upgrades and various updates over the next week or so.

Already Completed

• apply usual server updates
  • delete unused server software
  • delete abandoned projects
  • delete unused wikis

To-Do

• upgrade forums to 3.4.9. I'll be doing this today or tomorrow. DONE
  • restore The Inn to the main site. I have already restored it to our test site. DONE
  • upgrade Ubuntu (server OS) to 16.04.2. I only run the "LTS" version, which means Long Term Support.
  • acquire and install SSL certificate for site and all sub-domains.
  • upgrade wikis. Also switch to new recaptcha. DONE
  • upgrade forums to 4.x.

Then I can get back to modding and playing! :P

So you can expect the forums to go offline for an hour or so later today or tomorrow afternoon. We've got some Real Life stuff to do as well, so I'll get to it as soon as I can.

Edited by AndalayBay

TAL's homepage needs to be updated, maybe need a refreshing makeover too since the current one has been there TAL were founded almost 5 years ago.

Forums upgraded to 3.4.9. This upgrade also introduces Pages, or what used to be known as IP.Content. We will be using Pages for bug tracking and publishing articles. More information to follow.

The Inn has been restored. Some links need fixing and we'll have to see if we can dig up the images.

I hardly remember The Inn.  Did TAL really had The Inn 4 years ago? :P

Ah, now I remember.  It was back in the old days at DC and now you just resurrected it, a fragment of DC, here on TAL.

Finally got the wikis updated. I say finally because it wound up taking almost six hours! TESCOSI has a ton of extensions. The wikis have been updated to the long-term support version, so I won't need to update again for a while.

This also switches our wikis to the new Recaptcha as the old one was no longer supported. If you're not a spammer, then you just need to tick the "I'm not a robot" button and continue. This should make it easier to register an account on the wikis.

The site will be offline tomorrow, Friday June 30, from 2:00 pm EDT (6:00 pm UTC) for an hour or so for server upgrades. I will be upgrading the operating system, so I need to take everything offline. Since I will be stopping the server processes, you won't be able to reach TAL at all.

Anxiety?! Try being knocked offline for over 12 hours!! We switched telephone providers and that knocked out the DSL. Originally our ISP said that they wouldn't be able to get us reconnected until next Wednesday :frightened:, but he was able to flip something and got us back sooner.

We'll have to reschedule the upgrade. I'll keep you posted.

12 hours? Pfft, nothing, I've been offline for three weeks last year due to the phone provider screwing up routing files and refusing to do anything because they aren't my internet provider so they're not responsible for my internet - even though the internet comes through their hardware.

Posted (edited)

15 Mbps down/10 Mbps up

DSL has nothing to do with it - I won't be transferring any files to the server from my machine. I'm upgrading the server from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04. We run Ubuntu LTS. After the upgrade, I have to reconfigure all the server files.

Edited by AndalayBay

*sigh* I think we're snake bitten.

I tried to do the upgrade, but I discovered that our backups aren't working. I can't do an operating system upgrade without a full backup. I have contacted Linode and am waiting for a reply.

Linode fixed the problem and did a backup for us. I tried to do the upgrade and it failed, so I had to use that backup to restore everything.

I need to think about how to proceed.

It's hard to explain. It's way more complicated than a few error messages. I'll explain it to you at some point. I'm just super tired and annoyed right now. One of the many changes is that Ubuntu made is that they switched from Upstart to Systemd. That alone broke a ton of stuff.

Weird, cause I don't recall having any trouble at all when going from 14.04 to 16.02 or whatever the actual version number jump was.