• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
AndalayBay

Updates and Announcements - May 2017

Then you were luckier than me. First, Ubuntu has deprecated PHP 5, but didn't install PHP 7, so it uninstalled PHP 5. Poof, web server gone. I thought it would install PHP 7. Oh right, they switched to systemd, so apt-get is throwing errors. Ok, got PHP 7, I'll migrate our server instances to that in a minute. Not sure I got it all due to the errors though. We were on MySQL 5.6, but that wasn't good enough either, so it removed that too. Poof, database server gone. Ok, what does it want? MySQL 5.7. Seriously?! Fine, grab MySQL 5.7. Fuck systemd again, apt-get fails again and this time, I get pages of errors. Fuck it, time to restore the backup and tackle this another time. Nginx survived the attempt, but with no PHP and no MySQL, you have no forums.

The really annoying thing is that the version of Ubuntu we're running (14.04.x) is still a supported release, but there's only some dude's PHP repository available to upgrade to PHP 7. I could probably upgrade to MySQL 5.7 and save some headaches, but I didn't want to use an unofficial repo for PHP 7. 14.04.x is supported until 2018, so why haven't they updated the repository for PHP 7?

The upgrade also installed some software that I had intentionally uninstalled a while ago because we weren't using those programs anymore (munin, logcheck). I used the proper uninstall routines, but something was still stuck in some file somewhere, so it wanted to put them all back. *sigh*

If I could afford it, I'd buy another Linode, do a clean install there and then migrate all the data over, but I can't, so now I'm debating my options.

14.04 is only supported on the LTS branch until 2018. LTS branches typically don't make substantial changes to infrastructure like upgrading from PHP 5 to PHP 7. That's a pretty major jump but it's something that has to happen before the forum can upgrade to IPB 4. So it's definitely a problem if you can't coax it into the upgrade for whatever reason.

I never do much of anything more than simply executing the do-release-upgrade command as root (after backing up the forums and databases of course). That's never once failed to do its job. Of course, I also use Apache and not Ngnix so I have no idea if that's going to throw a wrench into things or not.

I think part of the problem here is old stuff. I'll do some investigating and see if I can clean up and clear out the old stuff, then try upgrading PHP and MySQL before attempting the OS upgrade again. They'll also be coming out with a new release soon (16.04.3), so that might help too.

15 Mbps down/10 Mbps up

DSL has nothing to do with it - I won't be transferring any files to the server from my machine. I'm upgrading the server from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04. We run Ubuntu LTS. After the upgrade, I have to reconfigure all the server files.

15Mbps--nice.  I was just asking because you mentioned you had DSL.  I do too.  Nowadays everyone has fiber, neat to see a fellow DSL'er.  Of course, my speed is supposed to be 3Mbps, but I don't see that.

They're in the process of putting in fibre here, but only the monopoly phone company offers the service right now. It will probably trickle down to the independent providers eventually. I doubt we'd be able to afford it though. :P

You never see the full download speed. Part of it is because they quote the damned download speed on service plans in Megabit/s, whereas your download speed when actually downloading a file is Megabyte/s, so you need to do the conversion. I don't know why they can't just be honest. I guess it's because the numbers would be so small. There are also other losses. So yeah, I'm lucky if I actually get 1 MB/s on download.

Sorry about the unexpected downtime folks. This time I attempted to clear out the configuration files for packages that I had removed previously and it blew away Nginx, which is the web server. It did clear out mysql 5.5, which was the source of some of the headaches yesterday though, so I think I'm winning the battle... :lol:

Ok, I need to get a couple more updates done before I can upgrade the server OS and the forums. I'm going to slip them in when I get a chance, so I will be taking the site offline so I can get a good backup. So if you find TAL offline, don't worry it's just me messing up the server again.

Nope. Basically IP.Board threw an error due to the upgrades and it couldn't recover even though I resolved the problem. IPS had to upload a script to clear the caches so it could recover.

I kept the script they uploaded, so if we run into a similar situation, I should be able to recover things. I hope it's a loop-hole that's fixed in IPB 4.x.

PHP 7 is installed - it's just disabled right now. I had trouble getting MySQL upgraded to 5.7, but I think I've resolved the issues so I'll give that another try when I get a chance. Once MySQL is upgraded, I can flip PHP 7 to being active and then upgrade the OS. I will then have to upgrade to 4.x immediately because 3.x doesn't work with PHP 7.

I'll make an announcement when I'm ready to do all that because our members will have to backup their notes.

.I'll make an announcement when I'm ready to do all that because our members will have to backup their notes.

So IPS made the Save Notes feature obsolete in IPS 4 or am I mistaken.

Yes, that is correct. There are several other things made obsolete, but they won't require you to take any action. I'll list them before upgrading to 4.x, not that we have any choice.

Can't recall what they're supposed to have cut at this point. Especially after the 4.2 update.

Your experience with linux doesn't surprise me though. I used to run into crap like you did when I ran Fedora on the old MUD servers. They'd change stuff, I'd foolishly upgrade, and spend a week trying to fix the mess they made of the OS because they just up and decided to do something different for no reason without any consideration for transferring configuration settings.

So far I've had good luck with Ubuntu not breaking itself in this manner. I'm actually somewhat surprised it's giving you this much grief.

This wasn't Ubuntu. It was MySQL. Even though the documentation said I could choose the upgrade-in-place path, that didn't work because I had some crap hanging around from previous upgrades. So I had to revert. I decided the easiest way to do that would be to restore the server backup I had taken. That was fine, but the full server restart kicked in some stuff so that the full PHP 7 installation was running and 3.x is not compatible with PHP 7, so the forums couldn't read the database. I reverted back to PHP 5, but the forums didn't recover. I was aware of the script and I should have just asked for it in the first place, but I decided to let IPS go through their process, which is why the forums were offline for so long.

I've got some legacy crap that's interfering with these upgrades. I am gradually getting rid of it, so hopefully future upgrades will go smoother.

Finally got MySQL upgraded to 5.7! Hopefully the worst is over now and we can upgrade Ubuntu at some point. I'm pretty sure I found a bug in MySQL. Each time I tried to change the root password for the database, it would fail as if it didn't like the characters I was using. Anyway now that everything has been restored, I'll use other tools to change it.

I'll be making a simple light and dark theme. VM wants to make an alternative, so I'd say that you can make an alternative as well if you like. All themes should work for mobile as well as desktops, although VM has pointed out that IPS' default skin isn't accomplishing that so well. I'll send you a PM to see about getting you set up.