• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
AndalayBay

Updates and Announcements - May 2017

Oh, I meant back in the day. Maybe, 1993ish. I'm in the Salt Lake metro area so I've got pretty decent speeds, but the vast majority of the state (in therms of area) is rural. Luckily there's an old law that obligates the local phone company run a phone line to anyone's house, regardless of where they live. My father used to work for them & had stories about lone old hermits 150 miles from the nearest town getting thousands of dollars worth of infrastructure put in just to run them a phone line. I get about 40 Mbps on local Starbucks Wifi. Can't remember what I get at home, but it's much faster.

I know with dial-up you meant back in the pre-broadband days.  I was wondering about now because Utah has some pretty rural areas--I was wondering if you lived in one of those rural areas.  But Salt Lake City is a big metropolitan area.  No doubt you have your choice of the cream of the crop of internet services.

Also, great theme, Vincent!  Much easier on the eyes than nuclear blast white.

I really like the new theme, however I find it extremely difficult to tell which forums or threads have unread posts, bold pink text looks exactly the same as pink text to me, any chance that forums/threads containing unread posts could be in red text instead of pink?

That's fine if there are no sub-forums, but when there are, you only know that either the main forum or at least one sub-forum have unread posts. Then I have to squint to identify which pink text is in bold.

There's also the unread content link at the top of the forums and the Topics section in the right pane shows all recent updates, not just new topics.

I will pass your request to Vincent.

There's also a small dot that shows up next to unread sub-forums. It's easier to see with the white theme. I've asked Vincent to see if he can find the element and lighten the colour.

Vincent made the requested changes to the Assimilation theme and I have uploaded it. You may need to do a hard refresh (CTRL+F5 in Windows) to see the updates.

Now that we're settled for now, my focus will be on getting the server OS upgraded. Once the OS is upgraded, I'll get SSL set up. We will continue to evaluate new forum software, but our license doesn't expire until January, so we have lots of time. I'm going to be quite busy in RL for the next couple of weeks.

On 2017-11-19 at 11:14 PM, AndalayBay said:

We will continue to evaluate new forum software, but our license doesn't expire until January, so we have lots of time.

That was 2½ months ago, so any news about a new forum software.

I’ve been too busy in real life right now. We’re fine. We’ve set new registrations to requiring approval and VM is doing an excellent job of checking them and approving them.

We had some server issues due to the recent OS upgrade. I’m pleased to say that I got them fixed tonight with Linode’s help. We were getting errors after a reboot due to missing kernel modules. These kinds of errors are hard to track down because they are very specific to the server configuration. Linode can’t help with software installation, but this was related to the kernels that they publish, so they pitched in to help. In the end, I needed to install the latest kernel and switch to Grub 2 as the boot mechanism. I also got Fail2Ban working again. I needed to update our jails to reflect recent changes in the software. Yes, we have jails. :D

Now that I’ve got all that fixed up, I can focus on getting SSL set up. Then we’ll get back to evaluating forum software.

No we’re using Fail2Ban, which is probably the #1 tool for banning attackers. If you were in jail, you wouldn’t be able to visit the site. :lol: Having said that, one of the jails was a little too rambunctious and it banned a ton of legitimate visitors. Whoops!

If you got weird errors when trying to visit, that’s a result of my overzealous Fail2ban jails. I unbanned all IP’s tonight after fixing the jail script. Sorry about that! 

SSL isn't cooperating. :mad: I have two IP's for the server now, but the IPv6 IP's aren't working. I'm talking to Linode about it. Since the test site is sharing the IP with the live site, I won't be able to implement SSL for TAL until I can do it for both sites at once. We'll probably have to switch forum software before I can implement SSL for the forums.

Latest issue just solved. I've been working with Linode to get IPv6 working. My ISP doesn't even support IPv6 yet and I don't know how many do, but including it in the server listen directive would allow people who have IPv6 to access TAL with it. I still have to roll out SSL to the live site at the same time as the test site, so we still need to move to new forum software before I can do that. You need an active IPS license to switch to SSL.