• Announcements

• AndalayBay

SSL Installed   05/29/2018

Second IP obtained. The issues with IPv6 have also been fixed, but we can't switch to HTTPS until we switch forum software. We can't switch to HTTPS without a current license with IPS.
AndalayBay

Updates and Announcements - May 2017

What are you eyeing as far as forum software, AB?  A little while back, when you switched to the current of IPBoard (?--I think that's the one), you were dissatisfied.  At the time, you said you would shop for some new software, I'm just wondering what's up with that.  I, of course, know you are a busy lady.  How's your house renovations coming?

The house renos are done, although we still haven’t moved back upstairs. Jimi is taking a week off at the end of June and we’re hoping we can get everything moved then. I’ve been busy with cat shows. There’s another one next weekend. Then there’s a break until August. I have a lot of preparation to do for a show, especially since they are in different cities, so I need to arrange for a hotel. Time for a rant: SERVICE ANIMALS ARE NOT PETS! /rant I’m searching for pet friendly hotels and there could be as many as half in the list claiming they are pet friendly when all they will allow are service dogs. In Canada, you are not allowed to deny service to people with service animals, so a hotel HAS to allow them. It’s really frustrating.

We have a list of packages that we want to evaluate. I installed one candidate, but I was having trouble getting Nginx configured, so I’ve left it for now. The damned SSL certificate is being a dick too. For some reason I get errors with TAL’s certificate while my cattery certificate works just fine. :mad:

3 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

SERVICE ANIMALS ARE NOT PETS! /rant

Exactly!  They're required medical equipment and trained professionals!  Adorable and well-loved, but they are not pets.

9 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

I installed one candidate, but I was having trouble getting Nginx configured, so I’ve left it for now.

What forum software was that you installed?

Also, why are you using Nginx and what does it do.

1 hour ago, AndalayBay said:

Nginx is the web server. Similar to Apache, but much higher performance and it doesn't use as much memory.

Ah, that make sense.  Thank you for the information. :)

23 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

The house renos are done, although we still haven’t moved back upstairs. Jimi is taking a week off at the end of June and we’re hoping we can get everything moved then. I’ve been busy with cat shows. There’s another one next weekend. Then there’s a break until August. I have a lot of preparation to do for a show, especially since they are in different cities, so I need to arrange for a hotel. Time for a rant: SERVICE ANIMALS ARE NOT PETS! /rant I’m searching for pet friendly hotels and there could be as many as half in the list claiming they are pet friendly when all they will allow are service dogs. In Canada, you are not allowed to deny service to people with service animals, so a hotel HAS to allow them. It’s really frustrating.

We have a list of packages that we want to evaluate. I installed one candidate, but I was having trouble getting Nginx configured, so I’ve left it for now. The damned SSL certificate is being a dick too. For some reason I get errors with TAL’s certificate while my cattery certificate works just fine. :mad:

That's good.  It was years you were out of the modding game because of a crazy house.

I trust you'll pick a good piece of software.  Does most you're considering offer good configuration options?  Account stuff, but also themes?

We have a set of requirements, like a download area. If it doesn’t have a suite of themes to choose from, then we’ll want the tools to create our own themes. The icing on the cake would be to find something with a forum based bug tracker, but that’s probably too much to ask for.

11 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

We have a set of requirements, like a download area.

Regardless what forum software you choose, there is one thing that needs to be handle differently and what I'm talking about is all hosted mods on TAL.

I doubt that there is a forum software that one can replace the IPS Download suite without messing up a lot of mods, so I suggest to begin to move all hosted mods to a new separate download area as a TAL subdomain.

download.theassimilationlab.com

Oh god, not another subdomain! :frightened: Subdomain or not, you still need software to manage and allow people to download the files. I don't have time to write something from scratch.

Anyway this is why I don't want to get into what we're evaluating. We know what we need and I'll get it done.

Joomla is open source and the most widely used CMS software for the majority of websites around the world.  YouTube has a bunch of tutorial videos about how to get started or for the advanced user with Joomla.