• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
Vincent

I built a thing.

So if you haven't heard heard, in the past week I built a new PC. It's based on the AMD Ryzen 7 series of processors. Specifically, the Ryzen 7 1800X, the highest grade consumer model that AMD offers right now (Until Threadripper comes out, at least...) It's comparable to the Intel Core i7 6900K for less than half the price. (Finally, AMD. Been waiting years for you to compete.)

Here's the parts list, with links if you want to check out specifics:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X 8 Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM
Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i Extreme Performance Liquid Cooling
RAM: G.SKILL 32GB (2 x 16GB) Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 3200MHz
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2, 80+ PLATINUM 850W , Fully Modular
Graphics Card: Asus Strix GeForce GTX 970 which I took from my old machine. It's still a decent card, but it's not ideal. It will do until AMD comes out with the Radeon RX Vega. Never had a Radeon before so that'll be interesting.
Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Airflow Edition, Full Tower ATX Case - Purchased through Amazon Warehouse Deals for about $40 less than it would usually cost. Unfortunately, there is a giant dent on the top which you will see in the pictures. Their description was inaccurate. It said that just the box had damage. Could probably do something about that. I might. Would have been better off not trying to save and just buying a new one. Oh well, learning experience.

There are more things I need to do, such as purchase an SSD and replace it as my main OS drive. That was beyond the budget so I had to use my old storage for now. It's about 3.5 terabytes of combined WD hard drives. Don't even get me started on what a pain it was to get an OS drive to work with a foreign machine. It was like a body rejecting an organ transplant.

Overall, with the little time I've spent with it actually working as intended, it's pretty fast. I haven't had a chance to really test it out. I'll be doing some heavy tasks soon, like video editing and I have some huge artwork that I need to work on.

It'll also be nice to see how the Skyrim Creation Kit runs on this thing. I wonder if it'll be any faster. Who knows? Not me. I will report back when I do. OG Skyrim Creation Kit loads extremely fast. On my old machine it took a couple of minutes to fully load up the program itself, and then my mod. Everything's very fast now. Under a minute I'd say.
I don't expect gaming to be much different, because really, what game uses more than 4 cores at this point? But we'll see. OG Skyrim launches exponentially faster, and the loading screens are almost non-existent. Not sure if that has anything to do with the CPU or the fact that I'm using 32GB of RAM.

Pictures in the next post.

Edited by Vincent
  • Like 1

20170619_152014.jpg

There it is. Behold my messy cable management in all its glory.

20170619_125648.jpg

Comparison to my old PC just so you can see how huge this case is.

20170619_152018.jpg

A closeup shot.

20170620_115530.jpg

The front. Great view of that miraculous dent. Please disregard that awful wire mess in the back. That's on the to-do list.

Edited by Vincent
  • Like 1

Nice. We have two Radeon R9 290X cards in each machine and we love them. I'll see how Skyrim SE and the new creation kit do.

2? Good god. Those cards aren't cheap. I'm hoping to get just 1 of whatever the decent Vega option is when that comes out.

Nice. The processor and motherboard go together well hopefully. What's the BIOS?

Heh, I've been under a rock. Just curious- do they still call it a BIOS? Do rigs currently on sale actually come with UEFI these days?