• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
Bongmongus

Is there any way of not playing Knights of the Nine?

I know this is one of the most beloved mods Bethesda ever made.  For some of us it is annoying.

I want to play through Oblivion with intact chapels and no sign of Ulmaril and his band of homicidal maniacs.

The Prophet can play with the Daedra.  So can Pelinal.

I liked the mod, until I read the Song of Pelinal.  After that, the shine seriously went off.

Slight description as to why I don't want to play though this DLC again.

Playing the Anthology version of Oblivion.

Before you ask, yes I have unchecked Knights of the Nine.  Game crashes.

Same happens if you delete the esp and bsa.

All help is appreciated.

It is rather strong on the holy crusade thing, but finishes up rather well. I always found the big charge at the end rather fun. It's really entertaining trying to play that and the DB questline at the same time. *cough* As one of the developers of Dark Brotherhood Chronicles, I'm usually working on DBC after I've finished KotN. I just put up with the stupid comments until I'm done DBC and then go do the wayshrine penance thing again.

So you started the questline and now want to remove it? I suggest finishing it if you can. There are a lot of changes done to the game and you might leave things in a real mess if you don't finish. Mainly there are some master trainers that get killed and you won't get their replacements until you finish KotN. Another option is to go back to a save before you started KotN. Using the Unofficial Official Mods patch is vital, otherwise you won't get the recommendations you need if you wish to pursue those quests.

If you want to remove KotN, I suggest moving your character to the wilderness, away from the cities and away from any shrines. Save game, uninstall KotN, load game and save in a new slot. Then sort your load order with BOSS and rebuild your Bashed Patch. Completely uninstall KotN, don't just deactivate it. I believe that means just deleting the plugin and BSA.

There are ways to delay the quest, but if you've started it already, it's too late for that. I usually delay the quest until I'm ready to start it. There's a lot of destruction at the beginning, so you don't want the default start sequence to kick in.

I played the questline once on the Xbox -- its a great questline and adds some nice NPCs.  But I have never had it in my load order on PC.  I deleted both the esp file and the bsa file and never had any crashes or anything.  As others have said, if disabling/deleting the esp causes crashes there must be somethign else in the load order that depends on it.

I've never played any of the DLCs except the Horse Armour and the one with a pirate ship in a cave. Not even played Shivering Isles yet, perhaps one year.

Certainly it is possible to disable the ESP and play, so if that is not working for you, something else in your Data folder is causing the problem.  If the game is quitting on launch, then you have another ESP installed which depends on the DLC, so you need to remove that ESP as well. If the game is crashing during play with a save created when the DLC ESP was active, then most likely a script is running from the DLC in that save, and suddenly the script has disappeared which the game doesn't understand. You could try a console command to stop the quest running, which would end the script for the quest itself. That might then allow disabling the ESP.

I'm starting a new character, so I think I'll put aside any misgivings and do Knights Of The Nine.  I suspected removing this could cause problems.  It's fun from certain angles, and I usually play a good character.  Or not someone joining the Dark Brotherhood.  You've given me something to think on, and something to puzzle over.  It would be interesting to see how KOtN goes if you're playing an elf, or a Demon.  I have a couple of demonic races added.  This could open all manner of possibilities.  Thanks for your help.

Found what I believe was the cause for the crash on start up.  It also happened during character creation.  It was Oblivion Reloaded.  Pity.  I was looking forward to playing Oblivion with this mod installed.  That's another matter, however.

Edited by Bongmongus

Unfortunately OR doesn't play well with a number of mods because the author has added a whole bunch of game changing things. It used to be a graphics overhaul, but now it's a complete overhaul.

As far as I recall there is an INI with OR to disable any feature you don't like. It has no required ESP so shouldn't conflict with other mods except similar OBSE mods trying to make the same changes.

It conflicts with Oblivon XP. We know there's an ini setting but it's not clear which one it is and if it fixes the problem. It should. The mod author has pulled the mod from Nexus and now you have to register at their site to download it, so I won't be investigating the issue. :shrug:

I once played KotN and I like it.  The KotN DLC has a good story, but stopping it to even start I think that's impossible due for the game to generate a certain topic in Anvil.  So try to avoid that topic and everything should be fine.

Unfortunately OR doesn't play well with a number of mods because the author has added a whole bunch of game changing things. It used to be a graphics overhaul, but now it's a complete overhaul.

Agreed.  I am one of those people who have discover a mod conflict between OR and Oblivion XP, so that's why I don't use OR due for changing more stuff than it's necessary for a sequent graphic extender of the old OBGE.

Pity about Oblivion Reloaded.  Looked like it was going to be fun, but these things happen.

Think I'll persevere with Knights of the Nine.  Could be fun.

I've never had any compatibility issues with OR.  In fact, the only mod I've ever read about (besides direct conflicts, as in mods that do the same thing OR does) that conflicts is OblivionXP.  I run a heavier load order too (as do most Oblivion modders).  The EquipmentMode is buggy--I'd say just straight up disable it from the get-go--but there is nothing that does what it does in the community.

@Bongmongus: Test OR.  Give it a shot.  If nothing else, it improves performance when running a heavily modded game.  You can just turn off most of it's features if they don't interest you.

Malonn you have so much faith in that mod. The fact itself that you always start in third person, that the author complained about a guy that asked to fix the fov when using bows, and the fact that you are forced to use the camera integrated or install Enhanced camera (while you can't use anymore the 'vanilla' camera) is a big no for me ;)

Luckily I've got enhanced grass, Improved water, and the purger, so I won't ever need to touch OR again.

Other than the fact that Alenet has a tendency to not properly test a release, I've never had any major complaints about the mod.  Which is why I recommend it.  But mods are a matter of opinion, they're not right or wrong.  I'll always suggest to anyone to try it, simply because of the sheer number of changes and enhancements--you can't find most of the features of the mod anywhere else.  It's not perfect though, and I'm not saying it is.  If it's not for you, uninstall.