BC Forest Fires

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

AndalayBay

AndalayBay

#ffc0db Wildebeest under #0000ff Flying Shoes

• Sys Admin
  • 12,273 posts

Last year it was Alberta and specifically Fort McMurray. This year it's the interior of British Columbia. TheDarkListener made a comment that they could see smoke and it was affecting the air quality in the states of Washington and Oregon.

BC often has a problem with forest fires, but this year they are saying it's the worst in 60 years and officials say it will only get worse. It has been a very hot and dry season and high winds are making things worse. Here is a map showing the extent of the fires. The provincial parks in BC have been closed due to the fires. Here are the evacuation alerts from the government of BC. Here is their Facebook page. I find both lend a personal feel to the whole situation.

Here's an interactive map of the wild fires from the BC government. Lastly here's a good summary from our government owned broadcaster, CBC.

I think the main thing with the BC fires is how widespread they are. Fort McMurray was very large, but it was concentrated in one area. It might seem that the BC fires haven't affected a lot of people, but that's because the interior isn't heavily populated. I don't think it's hit any major cities yet, but BC relies on its forest industry and that must be taking a hit.

• Sue likes this
Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands, and all you can do is scratch it!
-- Attributed to Thomas Beecham in reference to the performance of a female cello soloist

Sue

Sue

Roasted Red Freckled Pepper

• Project Member
  • 1,114 posts

It must be hellish for those in the region  :cry: 

Thanks for the info and links.

Amadaun

Amadaun

Himalayan Jumping Bean

• Project Lead
  • 36,935 posts

https://ecologywa.bl...ir-quality.html

gallery_2_13_8431.jpg

AndalayBay

AndalayBay

• Sys Admin
  • 12,273 posts

Yeah well we can assure you, the people of BC would much prefer that their province isn't on fire!

Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands, and all you can do is scratch it!
-- Attributed to Thomas Beecham in reference to the performance of a female cello soloist

Amadaun

Amadaun

Himalayan Jumping Bean

• Project Lead
  • 36,935 posts

Oh gosh, I didn't even think about the forest industry.  I keep having to readjust my mental map to "lots of land, not so many people."  I mean, 250k acres on fire would be devastating for Colorado.  Even the year when we had the Hayman fire, I don't think we got anywhere close to that.

But I'm really glad that no one's been injured.  *crosses fingers*  That's amazing.

gallery_2_13_8431.jpg

AndalayBay

AndalayBay

• Sys Admin
  • 12,273 posts

The air quality is bad in the rest of BC too. Vancouver is a popular tourist destination and they are saying they can't breathe, so I guess tourism is taking a hit too. They interviewed folks from Europe and South America on the news tonight and they were surprised how bad it was.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users