• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Leaving IP.Board   11/13/2017

See full announcement here.
    • AndalayBay

New Theme Set Up   11/14/2017

We have a new theme created by Vincent that's now available to everyone. It has been set as the default theme, so everyone should see it when you refresh the page. If you still aren't seeing it, you can select it from the Theme drop-down at the bottom of the page. It's called Assimilation. Thanks Vincent. Awesome looking theme!
Sign in to follow this  
AndalayBay

BC Forest Fires

Last year it was Alberta and specifically Fort McMurray. This year it's the interior of British Columbia. TheDarkListener made a comment that they could see smoke and it was affecting the air quality in the states of Washington and Oregon.

BC often has a problem with forest fires, but this year they are saying it's the worst in 60 years and officials say it will only get worse. It has been a very hot and dry season and high winds are making things worse. Here is a map showing the extent of the fires. The provincial parks in BC have been closed due to the fires. Here are the evacuation alerts from the government of BC. Here is their Facebook page. I find both lend a personal feel to the whole situation.

Here's an interactive map of the wild fires from the BC government. Lastly here's a good summary from our government owned broadcaster, CBC.

I think the main thing with the BC fires is how widespread they are. Fort McMurray was very large, but it was concentrated in one area. It might seem that the BC fires haven't affected a lot of people, but that's because the interior isn't heavily populated. I don't think it's hit any major cities yet, but BC relies on its forest industry and that must be taking a hit.

Oh gosh, I didn't even think about the forest industry.  I keep having to readjust my mental map to "lots of land, not so many people."  I mean, 250k acres on fire would be devastating for Colorado.  Even the year when we had the Hayman fire, I don't think we got anywhere close to that.

But I'm really glad that no one's been injured.  *crosses fingers*  That's amazing.

The air quality is bad in the rest of BC too. Vancouver is a popular tourist destination and they are saying they can't breathe, so I guess tourism is taking a hit too. They interviewed folks from Europe and South America on the news tonight and they were surprised how bad it was.

Sign in to follow this