• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
Amadaun

Getting Dr Sulphur to run on modern Windows

I need some help getting a Win 95 game to install on Win 7.

Just changing the comparability doesn't work because apparently a 64-bit system can't run a 16-bit installer.  I'm currently attempting to run Virtual XP and if that fails, I can try mounting 95 on DOSBOX.  But I'm looking for something simpler because this is an educational program for my minions and the simpler the better for my sisters.

Thoughts?

There's some info here. I can attest to Oracle's VirtualBox. I use it to run Windows 7 under Mac OSx, but the answer with 27 upvotes might be your answer. Basically replace the 16 bit setup.exe with the 32 bit version. There is a link posted.

Ama, which CPU do you have?

It's a...*checks*  AMD Phenom 2 X4 965

Yes, my computer is OLD.

What is the game?

It's called Dr Sulfur's Night Lab.  All of the littles are interested in chemistry right now, so I'm going to do my best to get it to run.  I remember being absolutely infatuated with the game as a kid.

I think replacing the setup file with a newer version would be the easiest, if that's possible with that installer. Why don't you send the program to Schtearn, VM and myself and we'll see what the installer is and if we can update the setup file.

You do now. I was planning on sending it to you via PM, but given the size, it's better to just add you to the team. That's the group I use when I'm collaborating on stuff.

My idea of replacing the setup file with something newer won't work. The program needs to run in an emulator.

I remember when we were trying to get an old game working once, somebody had created a package that installed DOSbox and the game all at the same time. It was fully configured to run. Schtearn, would you know how to do that?

Do you get cannot find entry point MAPSLFIX in MSACM32.DLL. That's an audio compression library. Very old. 

MapSLFix is related to DirectX/DirectDraw 16-bit to 32-bit object conversion driver.

It's possible the game is actually reading our own system MSACM32.DLL where a lot of the old routines are gone.