• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
Amadaun

Getting Dr Sulphur to run on modern Windows

Sorry guys that was an absolute furphy. "This program cannot be run in DOS mode." Period. Tried it with DOSBOX. Going to keep looking at D'Fend. Perhaps someone at ScummVM might have a clue but it doesn't look like they have any special forum for old Windows based games other than the Junkyard.

Anda you may have better luck emulating the CD with a USB stick. @Ama: does the CD look like it has have any DRM stuff on it?

From what I'm seeing the game will search all drives for the content- it may not care whether it is in actual fact a CD anyway.

Edited by Schtearn

I think it's set up to automatically look for the rest of the content from wherever you installed it from. There's an entire directory of resources that it doesn't install. However, installing from a different directory doesn't work. The installation works fine, but it won't run afterwards.

Schtearn, why are you so reluctant to check out VirtualBox? It's free. It's also the best emulator out there. Here's the list of guest OS's it supports. The guest additions, if available, are supplied with the product. They integrate the VM with your host computer so you can share folders, among other things.

Okay, will try it, but keeping in mind this from here:

Windows 98/98 SE/ME Works, no Additions available Slow because VirtualBox is not optimized for it. Install a 3rd party VESA graphics driver or disable hardware virtualization.

Suppose Win2k as a guest OS could be sampled first- who knows?

Going to try Win2k as actually have the CD (somewhere), Also refer comments at the gallery page.

gallery_5078_72_25472.jpg

Well scrap the Win2k idea- that was useless as probably not allowed to share activation keys -even if the CD could be found.

Instead the 98 ISO is being downloaded from here. Presumably the keys are working as they have posted them on the page:

RW9MG-QR4G3-2WRR9-TG7BH-33GXB

RC7JH-VTKHG-RVKWJ-HBC3T-FWGBG

There's a nice, but ancient Tut to follow as well.

If this doesn't work, I still have a working XPSP3 machine to test, but Ama will still require the keys for the OS (if she has it)

Edit: Using this video as a walkthrough. Notes:

• He admits his error. The second boot should be from the virtual CDROM.
  • Default Virtual Box Key Assignments can play havoc with Edge browser.
  • When the machine is started, the alt-tab keys are nuked. <Ctrl-Esc> is good to switch.
  • The <Right-CTRL> key toggles the mouse in the Box.
  • The second set of keys work.
  • For extended use consider re-installing with ACPI support

Installed! Now for the fine-tuning- fix the jerky screen refresh with Vesa drivers. etc. :P

Edited by Schtearn

Ama said her brother-in-law has a functioning Win XP machine. I got it to install on XP under VirtualBox, so I suggest she try his machine with the actual CD.

You can survive without the additions. All they do in integrate the guest OS with your host OS better. It sounds like you got it working. Hopefully you can tweak the graphics.

The "Guest Additions" doesn't work for Win98 which clobbers clipboard, drag'n drop & file sharing, so we had to setup a Network (MSN and all that). Anyway logged on here now and D/Ling the file. It's a bit tragic because IE5 doesn't understand https so unless we use an early version of Opera most of the internet is knackered. :rolleyes:

And 7-Zip 4.65 always craps out with error 1026 even though there is enough partition space. WinRAR is better.

Well the thing is this- after running setup, Dr Sulfur instigates a "We will want to scan your system, after which we will install drivers and then reboot"

Now it wants a CD. So we have to make an ISO file. Zimples!

Edited by Schtearn

Posted (edited)

Hello TAL. I'm posting this today because I have been attempting myself at recreating my childhood experience of playing this game.  I have to say thank you  and you all gave great insight and suggestions on details that i could imagine are somewhat lost in todays modern day computer world. I have successfully emulated this game in a virtual machine and it runs Flawless. In my attempts to get this game running i tried windows 95, 98, xp,7,1 and after a sleepless night or two of tinkering i was finally able to launch the game. windows xp won't run the game at all; windows 95 (the one with IE) will run the game but not display right; windows 98 was the only OS that would run properly. I installed three crucial (i think) components to the system.
1. 256 bit color driver
2. Direct X8 (holy smokes this had windows 98 support!!)
3. ac'97 audio driver

ps - my first attempt at making an iso failed miserably and resulted in the game starting, flashing a black screen and closing. The iso file was just 30 mb but upon inspecting the underside of the actual CD i could see the whole thing is written to so i'm guessing something was lost. i worked around this by putting the actual cd in the host machine and setting the cd drive in virtual box 

direct x.png

display adapter.png

sulfurscrn1.png

sulfurscrn2.png

sulfurscrn3.png

win98.png

win98_2.png

ac'97.png

Edited by malice
added information

Welcome!  And high-five for another person trying to get this game to work again!  Could you post your steps to get it to work?

please note: i have not scanned any of these files using multiple scanners (only windows defender on win 7/10) however running them in a virtual machine i've not discovered any problems

first you need to install windows 98 on a virtual machine. 

https://www.virtualbox.org

the ac'97 driver can be found here there is a windows 98 download link (all.exe)
also set the virtualbox setting to use ac'97 instead of soundblaster 16-bit driver

http://support.advantech.com.tw/support/DownloadSRDetail_New.aspx?SR_ID=1-AQHM0&Doc_Source=Download

i installed the driver labeled uni from this

http://ms-gil.weebly.com/uploads/5/4/0/0/54008503/driver_256_color.vfd

and direct x 8.0 from here

http://falconfly.3dfx.pl/directx.htm

The ac'97 driver and direct x 8.0 I loaded into the virtual machine by adding them in an iso file and mounting it in the settings of virtualbox.

I will add more screen-shots of the virtual machine settings i'm using later.  

Something to take note of is the ISO file i made of the DR.sulfur CD did not work and had the same symptoms of crashing; you must put the CD in the host machine and set the virtual machine CD drive as "host drive '*' "

yes you need to install windows 98 

It's pretty easy to find an iso and a key; however i won't post direct links to those as i haven't read through the rules section and i won't advocate piracy either, However; that being said, it's impossible to buy a legitimate key through microsoft anyway. Even if you bought a used copy(on ebay or something) Microsoft wouldn't be making or losing money. 

alot of old software is available here *wink wink*

https://archive.org

I didn’t think Microsoft would sell keys for old software. I know for sure Adobe won’t, which is super annoying. I wanted an old copy of Flash for Skyrim’s menus and the bastards wouldn’t sell me one because they’ve gone to rent-a-license. :mad:

you're completely correct; they wouldn't sell a cd key even if they could. THAT is one reason why the software has been cracked hacked & copied and redistributed in the ways it has been. Unfortunately this also means people are more likely to end up on sketchy or less then legitimate websites which likely distribute malware of some kind that could be undetected for a long time. 

But software hacking/ cracking and reverse engineering is a crucial component of restoring old software to working order and has i.m.o. created an increasingly large open source scene over the years(think of all the open source emulators for console systems made in the 80's /90's)

In my eyes microsoft is just losing money being stubborn; if people could pay $9 for an outdated copy of an OS or even the key/download i'm sure they would, especially the people with antique hardware.

Sony, Nintento etc have even started re-releasing ports of old games like Resident evil and such... I even bought one so i can play Resident Evil 2 on my pc.. no emulator, no bios dumping, no complex setup etc etc

I hear you. I’ll see if I have a spare copy of Win 98 kicking around. We’re using one license on an ancient PC (yes, we still have a functional Pentium MMX :lmao).

i actually ripped out my old win2k  AND XP PCs  and was going to see if i could get this working on them but upon inspecting the motherboard it seems a capacitor has bulged and exploded.... on BOTH!!!! QQ i'm afraid to look inside their power supplies.

i'm anxious to see if anybody else can get this game working with what i've provided..  so keep me updated! :D

i've also been contemplating why the .iso file didn't rip properly from the cd. i'll try making a new iso tomorrow in windows 98.

I’ve had trouble making ISO’s in the past. I had to go a couple of different ISO utilities before I found one that was reliable. It might have been imgburn, but I’d have to double-check that. It might not even be around anymore.