• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Linode Critical Maintenance   01/10/2018

Phase 1 is complete. There will be a second round once Linode gets a patch. I have updated the forum thread -  please see my post here.
Sign in to follow this  
Malonn

Anyone run a flavor of Linux

Well my new 64GB USB 3.0 thumb drive arrived today.  :)

So, it's time for me to buckle down and seriously consider what and how I want this Linux install to go.

Yay!

With USB drives, the BIOS/UEFI often doesn't leave them in the top of the boot order as the drives aren't persistent like a disc drive is so you'll probably want to use the device picker if your BIOS/UEFI provides one to save the time that you'd spend changing the boot order and rebooting each time. :)

Well, I just finished clean installing W10 x64 Fall Creators Update.  And I started thinking: what about a virtual machine...

So, I'm going to be Googling for some virtualization hardware and I was wondering what your thoughts were, VM?  Any experience with this route?  If so, any favorite virtualization software?

Years ago (as in, ten years ago). I used to use VirtualBox but Oracle has been making questionable decisions in their practices so I've been ditching them full stop (I even stopped using Java entirely) so I'd recommend giving QEMU a try. No personal experience with it but I've heard very good things about it.

Well it seems to me that you don't know what you're talking about. I am quite familiar with Sun and have actually had the pleasure of using their machines. I also know that Oracle produces the best database platform. I've been doing computer consulting for over 20 years and I've worked with both companies' products in business.

Malonn, there's nothing wrong with VirtualBox and it runs very well on unix platforms, including the Mac.

Not at all what I am referring to. Oracle tried to destroy software development as we know it by claiming you couldn't reimplement an API within a few months of taking over Sun and pulling resources for their open source versions of the products, which Sun used to support quite strongly. If Oracle had won that lawsuit, everything would have gone to hell. As an extreme example, AT&T could torpedo Linux since they made Unix. It would also allow them to undo the standards for C and C++ as those were both invented under the umbrella of Bell Labs. That's why I can't support Oracle.

Yeah Oracle doesn't do open source. There are still lawsuits going on. Fortunately Alphabet (Google) is an even bigger company than Oracle.

In the end, people will find other options. Even Microsoft is giving Visual Studio away for free now. We had been paying over $1000/yr for MSDN, but it's free now. Of course they'll nail you later on for other stuff once you start using their products in a corporate environment.

I was pissed when they dumped Open Solaris. I happened to be running it at the time. :P I still have my disc with Sun Microsystems printed on it! :D

Their recklessness with the whole API fiasco is the biggest issue I have with them, though. It would have caused a lot of issues for technology in general, not just with programming. I even asked my stock broker to get me out of Oracle. I'm very opinionated! :P

I've used the commercial version of Solaris. It's a pity Sun invested so much in their hardware and that went bust. We had Sun CAD/CAM workstations in school. We were learning AutoCAD.

In terms of Linux, if you can afford it, Red Hat Enterprise Linux is also an option. We did that for a while. It was really nice to get support for a Linux installation. The security is really strong. Sometimes a pain, but nice if you have a machine exposed to the net.

I've used the commercial version of Solaris. It's a pity Sun invested so much in their hardware and that went bust. We had Sun CAD/CAM workstations in school. We were learning AutoCAD.

In terms of Linux, if you can afford it, Red Hat Enterprise Linux is also an option. We did that for a while. It was really nice to get support for a Linux installation. The security is really strong. Sometimes a pain, but nice if you have a machine exposed to the net.

I liked RHL but, yeah, SE Linux can be a pain in the ass.

BSD is about the only Unix variant I haven't tried yet. I grew up on Unix! :P

As far as stability goes, I can highly recommend OpenSUSE. After running Tumbleweed for a few weeks, I can say that it's been rock solid. Its stability is quite surprising for a rolling release and is quite refreshing. The only downside is that OpenSUSE doesn't have as many packages as other distributions but that's easily fixable.

Edited by The Great Smexy Pumpkin