• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Leaving IP.Board   11/13/2017

See full announcement here.
    • AndalayBay

New Theme Set Up   11/14/2017

We have a new theme created by Vincent that's now available to everyone. It has been set as the default theme, so everyone should see it when you refresh the page. If you still aren't seeing it, you can select it from the Theme drop-down at the bottom of the page. It's called Assimilation. Thanks Vincent. Awesome looking theme!
Sign in to follow this  
Schtearn

SKSE SE

Posted (edited)

SKSE SE looks like it has hit the skids. There exists a non-functional fork, ​but now that the prospect of a little "free time" looms in view, perhaps we can look at what has to be done- but is it too much- and is it worth it? What do you think? 

Edited by Schtearn

The SKSE team obviously needs to be the one to do the work. Honestly, I wouldn't trust anyone else to get it right. Until that happens I'd say the best thing for SSE modders is to just plan things assuming it will never happen. Shelve what can't be done without it, which ought to be a very small portion of things despite what people claim.

Going 64 bit is great for all us players, but it really threw a wrench into the works for the SKSE team. What people need to understand is that this isn't just a matter of knowing C++. You need to know it so well and the specific compiler so well that you can extract the function calls from MACHINE CODE. That differs with every compiler. Jimi knows C++, and I've helped shadeMe with OBSE, but both of us are lost when it comes to looking at the decompiled code. Gibberish would make more sense. :P

The SKSE team obviously needs to be the one to do the work. Honestly, I wouldn't trust anyone else to get it right. Until that happens I'd say the best thing for SSE modders is to just plan things assuming it will never happen. Shelve what can't be done without it, which ought to be a very small portion of things despite what people claim.

Agreed.  I think we need to wait for the SKSE-team to release SKSE64, but for some people waiting is not an option and anyone, except for any member in the SKSE-team, who is doing this is to try to be popular by the crowd.

Which is similar to all mod compilations we have seen over the years and I refer to the illegal ones.

Perhaps an illuminating exercise to collate all SKSE functions which do not match combinations of what is presented by vanilla to verify Arthmoor's assertion.
The XXSE is quite a sophisticated decompiler and is sure to be used for the next Bethesda release not due until at least 2020, so there is no urgency. However the conversion is nothing more than a tedious one, so it will get done by someone eventually.
Oracle provide a nice precis on data types.

The best idea is to fire up Oldrim and see how the build works in action with VS. This is going to take some time, after which we can tinker with the intricacies of SE.

GitHub is set up so one can post in a fork, and if stuff works then, well, hey, great. If someone has already got a working build, we still have benefited because we have learnt something. If not then the task is to harness git to perform diffs on any non-functional stuff e.g. Yamashi's and use any components which are working. Thus no work is wasted.

However in my hands there is no fork until mid next year at the earliest. Let's hope someone else gets there before!