• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Leaving IP.Board   11/13/2017

See full announcement here.
    • AndalayBay

New Theme Set Up   11/14/2017

We have a new theme created by Vincent that's now available to everyone. It has been set as the default theme, so everyone should see it when you refresh the page. If you still aren't seeing it, you can select it from the Theme drop-down at the bottom of the page. It's called Assimilation. Thanks Vincent. Awesome looking theme!
Sign in to follow this  
Leonardo

Useful tools for various tasks

I thought to start a thread about useful tools that is essential for any user regardless what OS one are using.

The reason I started this thread is simple, I suspect my RAM to have a *corrupt* address, because right now I got the same error twice when playing Settlers 3 Gold Edition (bought it on GOG.com in mid July).

When I got the error the first time I thought it could be a bug, but now I am not so sure.  So that's why I ask here if anyone can recommend a memory tool that can both examine and detect damaged addresses in RAM.

Sure, I could search for one memory tool via Google, but I'm lazy and asking the people here is better. :)

Check SpiritX's first response here for memory testing. But like you I was too lazy to test and just went out and upgraded the memory instead. No bugchecks since (touch wood). :P

But are you sure it is memory? What exactly is the error and have there been any other reportings of it with the game?

That link Schtearn is pointing you to basically tells you to use Memtest. If you really want to test your memory, then that's the way to go. However be warned: testing memory takes hours. :P

Check SpiritX's first response here for memory testing. But like you I was too lazy to test and just went out and upgraded the memory instead. No bugchecks since (touch wood). :P

But are you sure it is memory? What exactly is the error and have there been any other reportings of it with the game?

Intresting.  Yes, like I said I suspect that error has to do with RAM since it can't be something else, because it had a similar memory address "xxxxxxxx" in that post you linked to.  Although, not the same address but similar.

From what I understand it could be a bug in a memory module in Windows and most people know that Windows still have bugs.  Some bugs has never being fixed since the days of Windows 3.1 back in the early 90's around 92/93.

If such a bug exists in Windows then Settlers 3 Gold Edition could possibly trigger that bug when the player is doing something under certain circumstances, which I have no idea what that would be.