• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
AndalayBay

Creation Club and 1.5 Update

I signed on to Bethesda for the first time in ages and I see a whole bunch of posts bitching about the Creation Club and the 1.5 update. Since I'm not playing Skyrim SE yet, can someone tell me what's going on? I tried reading some of the threads but all I saw were rantings by self-entitled brats.

Should I upgrade?

Yes. Upgrading the base game is harmless and a lot of mods going forward are going to depend on that being done, starting with USSEP :P

People love to hate, so they're hating on the Creation Club when the solution is as simple as not buying the stuff.

I also saw a lot of claims about poor performance after the update. Any truth to those? I have a feeling those reports are from people who don't know wtf they're doing.

No, I've been running around testing stuff on the 1.5.3 update and there's no difference in performance that I can see.

I also saw a lot of claims about poor performance after the update. Any truth to those? I have a feeling those reports are from people who don't know wtf they're doing.

The update broke SSE Fixes so that may have been the genesis of those posts, since you can get bad FPS if you are using too many esp files without SSE Fixes.  Meh321 just released an update of SSE Fixes today, so that problem is now solved.

Any update to the Skyrim.exe can break existing mods which will then need to be updated to deal with the changes to the exe.  So if you are in the middle of a game when the exe updates you may want to hold off until all the mods you are using have been updated, so you can update everything at once.  Otherwise you may be stuck waiting for a particular mod to update before you can continue playing, which may be a short or a very long wait depending on the mod.  Not everyone understands this, so there have been a few threads I have seen started by people whose game ran into issues because they updated the Skyrim.exe for the CC but some of the mods they were using hadn't been updated and their game stopped working as a result. 

If you wait to update until all of the mods you are currently using have been updated and then update everything at once, instead of updating piecemeal, you shouldn't have any issues.

Edited by Turija

Updates to the exe are unlikely to break anything. It's when the master files get updated along with it - like they did for Survival support - that you run into these problems. Basic growing pains during an update is all. Nothing the community hasn't been through before.

As for "SSE Fixes" I am unconvinced as to the necessity of that one. The threshold for "too many esp files" is something I crossed 30 esp files ago and there is no sign of any performance problems as a result. I have similar accounts from numerous people all over the place who say the same thing so it is by no means any sort of universal solution and thus should not be used as a general fix.

It's a DLL file that claims to fix a universal issue with FPS drain if you install too many ESP files. The conditions under which it can be tested are suspiciously specific to just Riften though. Which suggests some other underlying cause. It's also not something that's universally a problem for a lot of people. Plus the file entry on Nexus is littered with people who confirm it either causes an even bigger performance drop, or crashes the game entirely. The lucky ones tend to find that it does nothing other than sit there. So I'm of the opinion it's largely a placebo fix and that people are simply accepting that Meh wouldn't have written it without a reason so they see what they think should be happening.

Yes, sorry, I should have said updates to the exe and masters for the latest round of issues people were complaining about, although if I am not mistaken, updates to the exe alone will typically require any dll files people may be using to be updated, including the new SKSE64 alpha.

Edited by Turija

Yep. SKSE64 will almost certainly always require an update for each exe revision. Some people found some clever ways around having to do that with FO4 stuff that uses F4SE though so that their DLL mods didn't always need to be updated even when F4SE was. Maybe they'll share their secrets.