• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Leaving IP.Board   11/13/2017

See full announcement here.
    • AndalayBay

New Theme Set Up   11/14/2017

We have a new theme created by Vincent that's now available to everyone. It has been set as the default theme, so everyone should see it when you refresh the page. If you still aren't seeing it, you can select it from the Theme drop-down at the bottom of the page. It's called Assimilation. Thanks Vincent. Awesome looking theme!
Bongmongus

Compatibility For Jedi Lightsabers With Sound and The Bow Of Thunderdark

Running Clean Data from Wrye Bash shouldn't harm either.

Clean Data Removes files from the Data folder that are not from one of the following sources:
  • Vanilla game content.
  • Official DLC content.
  • Wrye Bash.
  • Installed BAIN packages.
The files are not deleted, but moved to the [Game] Mods\Bash Installers\Bash\Data Folder Contents [timestamp] folder instead, where [timestamp] is the date and time the command was run.

If you have OBSE or anything else not installed with WB, then it should be okay to restore them.

Good recommendation Schtearn, I really like the Clean Data feature! Plus since it's not deleted, just moved, he can easily restore them if needed. Sweep that junk away!

@Andalay Bay: Thanks for posting the Cleaning Tutorial. You even used screenshots with the mod he's working on. You rock! :D

Edit: @Bongmongus: I think it may be worth installing EngineBugFixes v1.7(requires OBSE). Tiawar has implemented a new feature that will give you some information on which plugin is crashing your game upon launch if it's caused by a missing master(s). This could prove very helpful!! You shouldn't need to change anything in the ini file.

PluginLoadErrorMessageBoxPatch (v1.7)
-------------------------------------
Problem:    Game CTDs on startup before the title screen appears.

Cause:        If a plugin file depends on another file (master) that cannot be found in the data folder when loading, the game cannot proceed and terminates the process. An error message would be added to a 'Warnings' file but since messaging is disabled in the release version of the game the user gets no information about what caused the crash.

Solution:    This patch will show a mesage box in case of a CTD caused by a missing master file. The message shows information about which plugin caused the crash and which master file is missing.

Edited by RavenMind

Good recommendation Schtearn, I really like the Clean Data feature! Plus since it's not deleted, just moved, he can easily restore them if needed. Sweep that junk away!

@Andalay Bay: Thanks for posting the Cleaning Tutorial. You even used screenshots with the mod he's working on. You rock! :D

Thanks, but it was handy because I've already cleaned all the other mods in my load order at the moment. :lmao:

I would expect nothing less from a consummate professional like yourself!

Hmm, going to have to look up the word consummate. One who consumes professionals? No. Con-with, sum-add? No, that doesn't make sense. Now where's my dictionary? Yeah, I have an actual dictionary. I like the smell of paper. Hey, I think my pain pill is kicking in! :w00t:

I like to keep an atlas in my car. Not up-to-date for cities & such, but when I'm out of cell range it's proven useful for back-country roads I wouldn't have otherwise found. Possibly even saved my life once. Yay for old-skool! When all else fails, you can always rely on matches, pocket knife, compass, and paper map. :)

Edit: And Windows XP SP2. lol

Edited by RavenMind

I religiously rebuild my Bashed Patch. 

I've also cleaned my mods with Tes4Edit.  All of them including the Official DLC.

In regards to Windows 10, I noticed the install I was running had corrupted.  Explains a lot, and not just land tears.

Things were going wrong in the last install, and earlier installs.  Believe Windows 10 requires you to install games into either

the Programs Directory or a gaming platform, such as Steam, Origin, Uplay or GOG.  Oblivion and any other game should work properly there.

I'm saying this because that's what I learned from my own installs.

Haven't been to the Arcane University yet, as I've reinstalled Oblivion and started a new character.  Chocolate Elf mark 9.

Should find the Jedi lightsabers and Bow of Thunderdark this time.

On 11/5/2017 at 5:23 PM, RavenMind said:

Edit: @Bongmongus: I think it may be worth installing EngineBugFixes v1.7(requires OBSE). Tiawar has implemented a new feature that will give you some information on which plugin is crashing your game upon launch if it's caused by a missing master(s). This could prove very helpful!! You shouldn't need to change anything in the ini file.

I have Engine Bug Fixes installed.

3 hours ago, Bongmongus said:

I religiously rebuild my Bashed Patch. 

Wonderful! :)

I've also cleaned my mods with Tes4Edit.  All of them including the Official DLC.

Also, wonderful. :P

In regards to Windows 10, I noticed the install I was running had corrupted.

Definitely NOT wonderful. Sorry you had to reinstall or restore!

Believe Windows 10 requires you to install games into either the Programs Directory or a gaming platform, such as Steam, Origin, Uplay or GOG.  Oblivion and any other game should work properly there. I'm saying this because that's what I learned from my own installs.

Okay, now I'm really confused. Where on Earth did you get that information? I can assure you that's definitely NOT the case. Windows Vista through Win10 has enacted an 'enhanced' type of security on the C:\Program Files & C:\Program Files (x86) directories. It uses a combination of UAC (User Account Control) and ownership (Trusted Installer) to lock down what programs can do in these folders. Even an Administrator account doesn't have full control over content in these folders, rather, even Administrators are issued a temporary elevated token for that one instance when prompted to allow a program to execute. This has caused no end of problems for moddable games and various other programs. I have numerous programs installed outside of Program Files because of this crap. I could (and did at one point to study the effects) take ownership away from Trusted Installer and give it to my Admin account, but let's just say it's REALLY not worth it & can severely mess with things.

As an example of this 'protected location' behavior, I use a program called QTTabBar that allows Windows Explorer to have tabs like a browser, among many other things. It can't write its automatic backup files or logs when installed in Program Files (default location) due to this problem.  I can't even manually get it to write there because Explorer runs as an unelevated process (thus QTTabBar has to as well) so no UAC prompt will ever come up.

Similar situations to this happen all the time in moddable games where various programs (OBSE etc) will try to utilize .dll's, write logs, execute another program (as in a mod manager calling BOSS to run), etc. So it's advised NEVER to install any moddable games to a directory under \Program Files or \Program Files (x86), and to NOT install Steam there either, which is its default install location unfortunately.

I'm not advocating installing EVERYTHING outside of Program Files, indeed the extra layer of protection can prevent your system from becoming infected by something. But there are programs that simply don't work well there, and that needs to be decided on a case-by-case basis.

Additionally, there is absolutely no requirement that games be installed into any type of "platform", Steam, Origin, GOG Galaxy, or otherwise. I've played games & executed programs located in the root C:\, in ..C:\Users\Username\, and on a separate hard drive altogether, all with NO problems. Again, I'm on Win10 Fall Creators Update, and before that, Anniversary Update, Win 8.x, Vista, Win7, etc.

So for now, let's set aside the notion that Win10 is a problem with regards to the reasons you mentioned above. Other Win10 factors, such as running various programs as Admin, we can address as they come up. [/lecture] LOL  :whip:

Haven't been to the Arcane University yet, as I've reinstalled Oblivion and started a new character.  Chocolate Elf mark 9.

Just COULDN'T go Vanilla, could ya? lol :P  Okay let me know how it goes! (And post a screenie of your ChocoElf!)

Should find the Jedi lightsabers and Bow of Thunderdark this time.

Keeping my fingers crossed! :D

Edited by RavenMind

With regards to Program Files - it's a protected directory, under all versions of Windows since Win 7. Basically if you have a "normal" program that doesn't write to the installation directory, then install it under Program Files. That covers most programs except Elder Scrolls games. TES games need to write to the installation directory, especially when you have mods that use OBSE, like Oblivion XP, so installing your game in Program Files guarantees trouble if you are using mods like Oblivion XP. WINDOWS 10 IS NO DIFFERENT. :)

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I thought I recalled it being one of those wonderful Vista "enhancements". Probably a good thing for the majority of users though.

Sorry I didn't paot earlier.  I wanted to find both missing items. I found the Jedi LightSabers With Sound.  Didn't find them at first.  Found a rock, which, upon resting my mouse pointer on it said AI door... and I forget the rest.  Anyway, I clicked on this, found myself on the other side, went back to where the light sabers should be, still not there.  Exited the Arcane University via the newly appeared door, reentered the Arcane University, went on the off chance the lightsabers were there, they were.

Went to Anvil, and the terrain tear is still in place.  Same problem, and I'm wondering if there isn't a similar AI portal to enter the non Open Cities world, if that makes sense.  The rock is being obliterated.  It needs to reappear.  Not certain how this is going to happen.  Will look around anvil for an answer.

With the patch, I found it turned purple after rebuilding the Cbashed Patch.

Sorry I can't report back better news about the Bow Of Thunderdark.

Edited by Bongmongus

Appenda to an earlier post.  I run GOG Galaxy in the D: drive, with no problems.  Not certain what happened with Anthology, but it was odd.  Things went wrong which should not have.

Thanks for that AndalayBay.  I'm at a loss as to what to do next.  The land tear is still there and I have no idea how to fix it.  I've rebuilt the Bashed Patch, cleaned mods with BOSS, Sorted the Load Order with BOSS.  Where to next? I'm enjoying the game I'm playing now.  I don't want to make a new character simply because two  mods aren't talking to each other.  Been there done that.  Thank you for your help.  As I say, I'm lost.  I don't know what to do next. Yes, this is getting me down.  Shouldn't be, but it is.  I'll say Good After noon.  2:37 pm Sydney Time.  *********************Land Tears!

You shouldn't have to use the original worldspace entry rock if the patch moved the items to the OC worldspace. I'm sorry I can't offer much help right now. I really have taken on too much already.

26 minutes ago, AndalayBay said:

You shouldn't have to use the original worldspace entry rock if the patch moved the items to the OC worldspace.

Agreed. I've verified several times with differnet configurations that they are placed in the correct worldspace for OCC. The way I made the patch you would still be able to find them in the closed city worldspaces if nothing else conflicts, which is why you were able to find it in the Arcane U.

49 minutes ago, Bongmongus said:

I'm enjoying the game I'm playing now.  I don't want to make a new character simply because two  mods aren't talking to each other.  Been there done that.

I don't blame you. If you'd just like to get to playing I can move the location of the rock and chest completely out of the areas touched by Open Cities, then you can just grab them and go. I'll go through your original load order & see if I can find a place untouched by other mods so hopefully there won't be any conflicts. This shouldn't interfere with the little quest line in Bow of Thunder Dark. I'll let you know what I come up with. As far as fixing the land tear in Anvil, without doing some heavy mod deinstallation & testing, I don't think we're going to get that fixed, especially on a save that has lord knows what already baked in. So for your next playthrough, if you plan on using the same or similar mod setup, I'd advise you to add one or two mods, test the problem area on a new end of sewers type save, then add more until you find where the land tear is introduced. When/if you get to that point then we can revisit this. Sound good?

Edit: I should ask if you're using any mesh/texture replacers that don't show up in your list of installed mods? If they don't have an ESP &/or you didn't install with Wrye Bash, then they won't show up in your list of installed mods.

Edited by RavenMind

4 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

You shouldn't have to use the original worldspace entry rock if the patch moved the items to the OC worldspace. I'm sorry I can't offer much help right now. I really have taken on too much already.

Thanks for all you have done Andalay Bay.  Sorry for being a pest.

I don't think anyone believes you're being a pest. It was at my prompting that we moved the discussion over here, so if anyone's a pest, it is me. :)

Did you want me to go ahead & move those containers?

Just now, RavenMind said:

I don't think anyone believes you're being a pest. It was at my prompting that we moved the discussion over here, so if anyone's a pest, it is me. :)

Did you want me to go ahead & move those containers?

Thanks RavenMind, that might be the best course of action.  To answer your question concerning the land rear source, I'm almost certain the rock from Bow of the Thunderdark being overwritten by Open Cities Classic is the cause. 

You are not a pest.  Truth be told, you've been invaluable.  You all have.  Just having someone to talk to ha made the problem a lot easier to deal with.

I was thinking of moving the containers.  I tried this in the construction set, but couldn't have both mods open at the same time.  Pity.  If I could have them open at the same time, I could do something with the offending items. 

I tried with the earlier mod I made to move the container.  The move showed up in the mod I made, but not Oblivion.  I moved the container in Jedi Lightsabers with sound.  Would placing these items in the Open cities Worldspace be the correct course of action., please?

4 minutes ago, Bongmongus said:

Would placing these items in the Open cities Worldspace be the correct course of action., please?

It's technically the Tamriel worldspace, but yes. At it's heart, that's what Open Cities does; move the Cities out of their own "closed" worldspaces into the Tamriel worldspace. Then the esp you created needs to be loaded after all Open Cities mods, and Lightsabers/BoTD, to make sure the changes aren't overridden.

Is there a particular place you'd like me to put the containers? I'll probably put the Bow & corresponding items into a chest/box type container so it's easier to find & can be placed indoors if you want. Just try to pick a place that isn't touched by any other mods. I don't think the guild halls were modified by anything other than All Natural, which isn't a problem, so maybe a guild hall. An outdoor location is fine too. If you'd like to send me your current LO (sorted please), I can load up those mods to verify I've got it working.

5th November 2017 Wrye Bash mod List.txt

One of the Guildhalls Fighters Guild or Mages' for the Bow of Thunderdark would be excellent, thank you.  For the Jedi Lightsabers, Inside the Arcane University lobby, or just outside perhaps, on the wall?

In answer to which texture packs I'm running, they are Qarl's TP3 Redemized; Qar's UOP Patch for TP3 Redemized, and Bomrett's Shivering Isles Texture Pack for Qarl's TP3.

Sounds good! We should probably do inside the AU lobby so we don't run into the same problem with OCC. I'll have to work on it after my kids get to bed since my wife is out of town. So I'll post back the status about 20 hours from now. Have a good day! :)