• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
AndalayBay

[RELz] Oblivion XP WIP

Yeah Loot doesn’t work for Oblivion. BOSS is still the best and it sorts the DLC’s just fine. Some people prefer to have each unofficial patch right after the DLC, but that’s not necessary. BOSS puts them after the DLC’s, of course, by they may be clustered in groups.

What resolution is your monitor? I meant to ask that in my first reply.

Alright, so my guess is that the plus and minus buttons are still overlapping. I don’t have a 4k monitor, so I can’t test my fixes. I think I can change the background colours, or put borders around the objects so we can see where there active areas are. If I can do that, would you be willing to download a test version and give me screenshots so I can see where everything is?

Sorry for the delay in replying; I got the dreaded flu and my brain was mush for a while there.  I would be willing to help with a test version & screenshots, certainly. 

On 2/6/2018 at 11:41 PM, AndalayBay said:

Yeah Loot doesn’t work for Oblivion. BOSS is still the best and it sorts the DLC’s just fine.

Unfortunately, BOSS also hasn't had a masterlist update in a while, which causes problems with relatively new mods (I'd say last 6 months).  I use LOOT to sort the Unique Landscapes patches and then merge them into a big "Unique Landscapes Patches.esp" which I activate in place of all the individual patches; otherwise, I use BOSS, and it IS a problem...

On 2/27/2018 at 9:29 PM, AndalayBay said:

You could create your own user rules for the mods its missing.

I sorta figured that went without saying; it's what I do with unknown mods.  However, I'm only a half-assed mod creator, and I don't have a complete understanding on how mods interact, so for all I know I could be screwing up the mod order.

I've actually been running into a problem related to that; I know there used to be a Bash Tag that could be used to force an eye mesh override on Race records, but it appears to be gone and I can't find any way to force specific eye meshes to be inherited by the Bashed Patch...

Well, the BOSS masterlist maintainers are not experts on load order either.  The masterlist has categories for mods.  You just put your unrecognized mod in the closest matching category, then alphabetically in that category, and you're doing it like the officials.  If you make a lot of changes to the userlist, BOSS Userlist Manager is a godsend.

As for the Bash Tag, it's "Eyes" that you're looking for, I believe.  Easiest way is in Bash, select the mod, then click the Bash Tags box on the bottom right and choose your tag.

No.  In the readme it says that ObXP is incompatible with skill level rate mods (such as Progress, Fundament; I have a custom one I run based off of Fundament).  I'm wondering why, and if it is something I can work around?  Marksman and Mercantile, in particular, are terrible vanilla.  Speechcraft (useless, I know) levels way to slow at higher levels.  Etc. etc.

But, for some praise, I've been playing ObXP and am quite impressed and enjoy it.  It may be my go-to leveling fixer (I've always enjoyed Fallout's leveling).  Kudos, AB!

You don't need those mods with Oblivion XP. That's what Oblivion XP does: it replaces the vanilla levelling system with a D & D style system. Oblivion uses a practice system in which you need to use a skill to advance it. Progress and Fundament just affect the rate. Oblivion XP REPLACES that. You an set Marksman and Mercantile to whatever you like with Oblivion XP. You don't have to use them at all. As a result, Oblivion XP must have complete control over the PC's skills and attributes. It's not a bug or something that can be changed. It's the whole point of the mod.

Now the idea is that you wouldn't spend points on those skills if you never use them, but there's nothing stopping you if you want to do that. How you play is up to you. Oblivion XP tries to maintain the class system by making minor skills more expensive to advance, although you can disable that if you want.

Oh, ok.  My skills were still advancing during my tutorial dungeon test run, though.  It must be because a mod I have sets the skill advance rates via script?  Most go unchanged except a key few, but all get set.  So, normally in ObXP there are no skill advances from  practice?  Interesting.  I kinda missed the whole point of it, confused because I was still leveling skills.  Now I understand and am prepared to embrace all that ObXP has to offer.  I'll add a conditional in my mod to check for ObXP and if found, disable the necessary parts.  Thanks, AB.

Oblivion XP won’t work and you’ll probably break your game if you run another mod that touches your skills and attributes. Oblivion XP has to track your progress and having another mod interfere will foul that up. You can read skill books and get skill and attribute awards, but you can’t use a mod that has to control your levelling, like Fundament.

Gotcha.  I set up a conditional or two to remove the skills stuff.  NP.  So am I correct that I should not see a skill has advanced message?  If I do, I've goofed somewhere, right?

That's correct. Some people have had problems during the tutorial dungeon because they gain enough points to level, but they haven't defined their class yet, of course. I'm thinking of setting the initial points requirement to something really high until the dungeon tutorial is done so there's no way you could gain a level before it's done. I've never had that problem, but I guess if you're running something like FCOM it might be possible. I also use an alternative start mod now.

Gotcha.  Yeah, after squaring away my skill rate tweaks all seems to be good now.  I haven't got a skill level up message since.  Also, I did not level up my character in the starter dungeon.  I like it, but onething, AB: First, my first character level up was odd.  I leveled up, got the points menu, closed it, then got a message saying this is the first time I've installed ObXP and I need to distribute points.  So, my first point distribution was wiped and I had to do it again.

Other than that, it's been smooth sailing.  It will be in my LO for a long time.  I especially love the ini customization possibilities and the way it rewards you for class skill usage.  I used to pick all magic skills for my class because they level so slow and grind-like; it would give me a leg up picking them, but now some thought will have to go into my class with skills.  A jack-of-all-trades is not as easy as it used to be.

I'll keep my thoughts posted here.

That’s a known bug. Grab the new release which is only available here until I’m done making changes. I’m still away, but should be back soon to finish up.

One of the things I’ll be adding is putting a limit on increasing luck. There’s no limit on how much you can increase luck each time you level, which can unbalance the game. It will be configurable as is almost everything else.

And yes, please pass along your thoughts.

Yes, I have the 4.4.0WIP, if I'm not mistaken.  I grabbed it from here.

Well, I read the readme cover to cover (yep, I read them for mods new to me).  Well written, AB.  Now I'm customizing the INI to my liking as best I can tell without playing the mod thoroughly.  There's only so much you can really do with customizing a mod when you have very little play experience with it.  I will say that more skill points is desirable for a character who will lean more towards a jack-of-all-trades.  Some skills will not be focused on this character.

Now I'm off to finish tweaking the INI and play some Oblivion.

A bug has surfaced, AB, a bug indeed.  The first time you level up, like I said a couple posts up, it brings up the menu, and once closed, it message boxes saying it's the first time having XP in your game.  Now, this bug is the first settings changes (attributes and skills) do not take effect.  Any changes you make on your first level up (to level 2) do not take effect.  I had to make note of my changes and console them for them to happen.  I'll keep you posted on my next level up (to 3).

Could you please make sure you have the new version here? Was this a new install or did you install over an old version? Due to the nature of the fixes, people need to uninstall the previous version before installing this one. You don't need to make a clean save if everything is working ok, but in your case, I recommend you do. When you load up your clean save after reinstalling Ob XP, then it will prompt you to initialize.

This version explicitly fixes that bug and I tested and confirmed it worked. However it's due to the setting of a variable, so if you installed the new version over the old without doing a clean save, then that variable would persist in its broken state. There are also some files that got moved, so that's why you need to uninstall the old version first.

That's the version I have, AB.  And it was not an upgrade or applied to an existing character.  Version 4.4.0 on a new character.