• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
Schtearn

Mystery Quote

Wanted to report this to Quote Investigator but they don't do Anonymous!

It's this thing which has been around the fortune files for years:

"Medieval recipe for cure of acne: "the rout of dragons made clean and cut into thin roundels" and steeped for nine days in white wine."

Now believe_it_or_not Gerards 1633 Herbal or General History of Plants is a Google Preview. It's not free. So some of the information is not available.

We can see he talks about three dragon plants along with an illustration of the water variant.

Oh, you can get the page before (832) by searching for "dragon" from the left of the page. But then 829-831 is not shown in the preview.

It's likely these are all classified as separate species, and the Dracunculis lilies today are not medicinal.

He also talks of one with berries- it's not likely today's Aronia either. Colubrina, Arum, no.

Now let's move forward onto the 1820 Pocket Companion to Culpeper's Herbal. Yay, it's a free book. Alas not many roots of anything there.

There was no such word as "acne" then. They had "spots" or "morphew" or "plague" - "papule"?- there's probably something going begging in Shakespeare no doubt.

Wonder if the source was removed somehow?

Edited by Schtearn

Well, :P
We assume the validity of medieval. It's any time between the 5th and 15th century.
So if we translate into Old English, we have for "White Wine".
Move on quickly...

Let's pluck some keywords out.

For Old English (This is the most comprehensive but you need sophisticated regex searches to make it work.)

white = hwit 
wine = win windrync pin (see this)
root = wyrt (see this)
dragon = draca wyrm
Ehm. Still in ANSI Land: The ANSI encodings of the Thorn don't match
nine = nigon

Searching for wyrt draca hwit win nigon

For Middle English using this directly:

white =whyte nlank
wine = win
nine = Nyne
days = dage
root = more rote Rutis (pl.)
dragon = dragon basilisk cocatrice

Searching for rote dragon whyte nyne dage.

Can try a Shakespearean search, but the keywords will not be any different to the OP original.
Google's search is sophisticated, but it tries to "help" by discarding many partial or near word matches in phrases. In the gui you don't have any control over it. And there is no language search for OE or ME (yet). 

Note of interest: Welsh: Draig is one of the Two Heavenly Dragons and the arch-rival of Albion

Edited by Schtearn

The other angle, with view to the use of the word "acne" is that it's actually some kind of joke for which eligible recipients are awarded the:

Golden-Donkey-Award-Logo-2-1-aspect-5660
Either way, it's been an interesting ride!