• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Leaving IP.Board   11/13/2017

See full announcement here.
    • AndalayBay

New Theme Set Up   11/14/2017

We have a new theme created by Vincent that's now available to everyone. It has been set as the default theme, so everyone should see it when you refresh the page. If you still aren't seeing it, you can select it from the Theme drop-down at the bottom of the page. It's called Assimilation. Thanks Vincent. Awesome looking theme!
AndalayBay

Looking for New Forum Software

I've had enough of Invision, so we'll be moving on to other forum software. They really broke the forums with 4.x and they basically thought our set-up was ridiculous with things like Kafka's fun house and team leads. The final straw was when they wanted me to make the forum files writable by all rather than use proper Linux techniques to copy files to the server. I told them how to do it and I said if they weren't willing to do it, then not to bother and we would move on. I was already at the breaking point with the number of tickets open and their attitude. They said that given my attitude, I should move on, so I said fine. It's a pity because we had a lot of money invested in IP.Board, but it's just not worth the aggravation.

Yeah that's why I wasn't in a rush to get the themes done. I'm sorry Vincent. It really was one bug after another and every single time, they wanted access to the server and then bitched about the security. They claimed they weren't allowed to use sudo!

Anyway keep that code, you might be able to use some bits of it on whatever we pick.

10 minutes ago, Vincent said:

IPS is the best paid solution there is right now. vBulletin and XenForo are kind of shit.

Also RIP to the two days I spent making that theme.

I doubt that about IPS, because of the bugs that had been plagued IPS 3 and now a brand new version.  I know there are better paid forum software out there and XenForo is one my favorite.

There is one thing about vBulletin that a very few forum software has and what I am talking about is that vBulletin allow raw HTML in posts, which are dangerous if the Install folder still exist on the server.

@AndalayBayIf you want to know more about XenForo then try a demo for 72 hours free of charge.  Unfortunately, XenForo does not have a download area but I'm not sure how it is now.

Well let's look at what's on Wikipedia no doubt a replacement will be one of these- unless we write our own- in which case we are going to be seeing a lot of white well into the future! :P

Creator Latest release date Current stable version Programming language License
bbPress [1] WordPress Foundation 2016-12-17 2.5.12 PHP[2] GPL[3]
Beehive Forum [4] Project Beehive Forum Developers 2016-11-05 1.5.2 PHP GPL
Discourse [5] Civilized Discourse Construction Kit, Inc. 2017-10-13 1.8.9 Ruby, JavaScript GPL
Discuz! [6] Comsenz Inc. 2017-01-01 X3.3 PHP Discuz! EULA (proprietary, gratis for non-commercial use)
eXo Platform [7] eXo Platform SAS 2016-01-15 4.3.0 Java LGPL
FluxBB [8] FluxBB.org Developers 2016-06-16 1.5.10 PHP GPL
FUDforum [9] Advanced Internet Designs Inc. 2016-01-28[10] 3.0.7[10] PHP GPL
Ikonboard [11] Matt Mecham (original creator) Joshua Johnson 2012-10-19 3.1.5A Perl Proprietary
Invision Power Board [12] Invision Power Services Inc. 2016-12-07 4.1.17.1 PHP Proprietary
MyBB [13] MyBB Group 2017-11-07 1.8.13 PHP LGPL, moving to BSD in 2.0[14]
Phorum [15] Brian Moon 2016-10-27 5.2.22 PHP Phorum License 2 (BSD like)
PHPWind [16] Hangzhou Detian Information Technology Co. Ltd 2014-12-23 9.0.1 PHP PHPWind EULA (proprietary, gratis for non-commercial use)
phpBB [17] phpBB Ltd. 2017-07-16 3.2.1 PHP GPL
PunBB [18] PunBB 2015-10-14 1.4.4 PHP GPL
Simple Machines Forum [19] Simple Machines 2017-05-14[20] 2.0.14[20] PHP BSD License
Syndie [21] Anonymous (related to I2P) 2014-08-14 1.107b Java Open source, multiple licenses
UBB.threads [22] UBB Systems, LLC 2017-02-15 7.6.0 PHP Proprietary
Vanilla Forums [23] Vanilla Forums 2017-05-11 2.3.1 PHP Proprietary/GPL[24]
vBulletin[25] vBulletin Solutions Inc. 2016-11-16 5.2.5[26] PHP[27] Proprietary[28]
Thredded [29] Joel Oliveira, Gleb Mazovetskiy, et al. 2017-09-04 0.13.4 Ruby MIT

Features:

Flat Threaded User selectable themes Calendar Image attachment Unread message tracking WYSIWYG Editor Export Emailinterface SSO
bbPress Yes Yes No No Plugin Plugin Yes (using TinyMCE) No Plugin[30]  
Beehive Forum Yes Yes Yes No Yes Full Yes (using TinyMCE) Partial    
Discourse Yes Yes Yes Plugin Yes Full No (uses markdown with live preview) Yes Has a "maillist" mode Yes (OAuth)
Discuz! Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes      
eXo Platform Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Partial    
FluxBB Yes No Yes No Plugin Session No      
FUDforum Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Full Yes      
Iko Yes No Yes No Planned Yes Yes      
Ikonboard Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Session No      
Invision Power Board Yes Yes Yes Plugin Yes Full Yes     Yes (OAuth)[31]
MyBB[32] Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Full Yes No No  
Phorum Yes Yes Yes No Yes Full Yes Plugin[33]    
phpBB[34] Yes No Yes Plugin Yes Full Planned   No Yes (LDAP, OAuth)[35]
PunBB[36] Yes Plugin Yes Plugin Plugin Session Plugin      
Simple Machines Forum Yes No Yes Yes Yes Full Yes Partial [37]    
Syndie Yes Yes No No Yes Full Yes      
UBB.threads Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Full Planned     No
Vanilla Forums Yes Plugin Yes No Plugin Yes Plugin Plugin [38]   Yes[39]
vBulletin[40] Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Full Yes      
XenForo Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Full Yes      
Thredded Yes No Yes No Plugin Full No (uses markdown) No read-only Yes (any Ruby auth)

Data storage[edit]

Information about what data storage system can be used.

MySQL PostgreSQL MSSQL Oracle SQLite Firebird Flat file
bbPress[2] Yes No No No No No No
Beehive Forum Yes No No No No No No
Discourse No Yes No No No No No
Discuz! Yes Yes No No No No No
eXo Platform Yes Yes Yes Yes No No No
FluxBB Yes Yes No No SQLite 2[44] No No
FUDforum Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes No
Iko Yes No No No No No No
Ikonboard Yes Yes No Yes No No Yes
Invision Power Board Yes No Discontinued [45] No No No No
kusaba Yes No No No No No No
MyBB[32] Yes Yes No No Yes No No
Phorum Yes No No No No No No
phpBB[34] Yes v8.2 or newer[46][47] Yes Yes Yes Discontinued No
PunBB[36] Yes Yes No No Yes No No
Simple Machines Forum Yes Yes No No Yes No No
Syndie Yes (HSQLDB) No No No No No No
UBB.threads Yes No No No No No No
Vanilla Forums Yes No No No No No No
vBulletin[40] Yes No No No No No No
XenForo Yes No No No No No No
Thredded Yes Yes No No Yes No No

MyBB looks like it ticks a few boxes. Any good stories about that?

The big thing is importing in content from another forum. That's not covered on this page- except, well there's export.

Edited by Schtearn

IPS has gotten worse and a lot of people are leaving it. It can't support us having moderator permissions over specific forums, like Kafka's fun house or our team leads, for example. They've cut out a lot of functionality. We're also getting a lot of errors when we click on help links in the admin control panel.

I really like Xenforo actually. I've already tried the demo and it's good until next week.

vBulletin has really taken a dive with the latest version. They've made a lot of changes that have locked out developers, so they aren't many extensions or plugins available for it anymore. People are also reporting that the support sucks.

There are a couple of other options we're exploring as well.

I also wanted to mention that Vincent did a really good job on the new forum skin. Hopefully we'll be able to use his work in the new forums.

12 minutes ago, Schtearn said:

Well let's look at what's on Wikipedia no doubt a replacement will be one of these- unless we write our own- in which case we are going to be seeing a lot of white well into the future! :P

bbPress [1] WordPress Foundation 2016-12-17 2.5.12 PHP[2] GPL[3]
Beehive Forum [4] Project Beehive Forum Developers 2016-11-05 1.5.2 PHP GPL
Discourse [5] Civilized Discourse Construction Kit, Inc. 2017-10-13 1.8.9 Ruby, JavaScript GPL
Discuz! [6] Comsenz Inc. 2017-01-01 X3.3 PHP Discuz! EULA (proprietary, gratis for non-commercial use)
eXo Platform [7] eXo Platform SAS 2016-01-15 4.3.0 Java LGPL
FluxBB [8] FluxBB.org Developers 2016-06-16 1.5.10 PHP GPL
FUDforum [9] Advanced Internet Designs Inc. 2016-01-28[10] 3.0.7[10] PHP GPL
Ikonboard [11] Matt Mecham (original creator) Joshua Johnson 2012-10-19 3.1.5A Perl Proprietary
Invision Power Board [12] Invision Power Services Inc. 2016-12-07 4.1.17.1 PHP Proprietary
MyBB [13] MyBB Group 2017-11-07 1.8.13 PHP LGPL, moving to BSD in 2.0[14]
Phorum [15] Brian Moon 2016-10-27 5.2.22 PHP Phorum License 2 (BSD like)
PHPWind [16] Hangzhou Detian Information Technology Co. Ltd 2014-12-23 9.0.1 PHP PHPWind EULA (proprietary, gratis for non-commercial use)
phpBB [17] phpBB Ltd. 2017-07-16 3.2.1 PHP GPL
PunBB [18] PunBB 2015-10-14 1.4.4 PHP GPL
Simple Machines Forum [19] Simple Machines 2017-05-14[20] 2.0.14[20] PHP BSD License
Syndie [21] Anonymous (related to I2P) 2014-08-14 1.107b Java Open source, multiple licenses
UBB.threads [22] UBB Systems, LLC 2017-02-15 7.6.0 PHP Proprietary
Vanilla Forums [23] Vanilla Forums 2017-05-11 2.3.1 PHP Proprietary/GPL[24]
vBulletin[25] vBulletin Solutions Inc. 2016-11-16 5.2.5[26] PHP[27] Proprietary[28]
Thredded [29] Joel Oliveira, Gleb Mazovetskiy, et al. 2017-09-04 0.13.4 Ruby MIT

Features:

Flat Threaded User selectable themes Calendar Image attachment Unread message tracking WYSIWYG Editor Export Emailinterface SSO
bbPress Yes Yes No No Plugin Plugin Yes (using TinyMCE) No Plugin[30]  
Beehive Forum Yes Yes Yes No Yes Full Yes (using TinyMCE) Partial    
Discourse Yes Yes Yes Plugin Yes Full No (uses markdown with live preview) Yes Has a "maillist" mode Yes (OAuth)
Discuz! Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes      
eXo Platform Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Partial    
FluxBB Yes No Yes No Plugin Session No      
FUDforum Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Full Yes      
Iko Yes No Yes No Planned Yes Yes      
Ikonboard Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Session No      
Invision Power Board Yes Yes Yes Plugin Yes Full Yes     Yes (OAuth)[31]
MyBB[32] Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Full Yes No No  
Phorum Yes Yes Yes No Yes Full Yes Plugin[33]    
phpBB[34] Yes No Yes Plugin Yes Full Planned   No Yes (LDAP, OAuth)[35]
PunBB[36] Yes Plugin Yes Plugin Plugin Session Plugin      
Simple Machines Forum Yes No Yes Yes Yes Full Yes Partial [37]    
Syndie Yes Yes No No Yes Full Yes      
UBB.threads Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Full Planned     No
Vanilla Forums Yes Plugin Yes No Plugin Yes Plugin Plugin [38]   Yes[39]
vBulletin[40] Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Full Yes      
XenForo Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Full Yes      
Thredded Yes No Yes No Plugin Full No (uses markdown) No read-only Yes (any Ruby auth)

Data storage[edit]

Information about what data storage system can be used.

bbPress[2] Yes No No No No No No
Beehive Forum Yes No No No No No No
Discourse No Yes No No No No No
Discuz! Yes Yes No No No No No
eXo Platform Yes Yes Yes Yes No No No
FluxBB Yes Yes No No SQLite 2[44] No No
FUDforum Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes No
Iko Yes No No No No No No
Ikonboard Yes Yes No Yes No No Yes
Invision Power Board Yes No Discontinued [45] No No No No
kusaba Yes No No No No No No
MyBB[32] Yes Yes No No Yes No No
Phorum Yes No No No No No No
phpBB[34] Yes v8.2 or newer[46][47] Yes Yes Yes Discontinued No
PunBB[36] Yes Yes No No Yes No No
Simple Machines Forum Yes Yes No No Yes No No
Syndie Yes (HSQLDB) No No No No No No
UBB.threads Yes No No No No No No
Vanilla Forums Yes No No No No No No
vBulletin[40] Yes No No No No No No
XenForo Yes No No No No No No
Thredded Yes Yes No No Yes No No

MyBB looks like it ticks a few boxes. Any good stories about that?

Yep, I saw that.. I have also found sources that list modern forum software. I'll put up a list of candidates with our thoughts once we've had a chance to review everything.

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with IPS! That's a horrible way for them to act toward a customer who has paid for their services! If I had any sort of social media platform I'd blast them for ya. :P

XenForo... That's not what Bethesda's using is it?? :frightened: Bah, even if it is I bet it'd take you a week to fix what they haven't been able to in a year or better.

Bethesda is using NodeBB and believe it not... we're considering them. The software is free for self hosted plans like ours. There are other options than what we've experienced on Beth.net. Just remember that IP.Board wasn't great on the Bethesda forums either, so don't judge the Bethesda forums when evaluating the quality of the software.

We are looking for more than just basic forum software. We want our needs met in a pleasant interface. At least we're at a point where we have very specific requirements and we now have the experience to test various options to see how they meet those requirements.

6 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

Bethesda is using NodeBB and believe it not... we're considering them. The software is free for self hosted plans like ours. There are other options than what we've experienced on Beth.net. Just remember that IP.Board wasn't great on the Bethesda forums either, so don't judge the Bethesda forums when evaluating the quality of the software.

We are looking for more than just basic forum software. We want our needs met in a pleasant interface. At least we're at a point where we have very specific requirements and we now have the experience to test various options to see how they meet those requirements.

What you are saying? :blink:

Are you actually consider to switch to NodeBB?  If that happens then I say farewell.  The NodeBB forum software sucks no BBCode, the post editor is I dunno what to call it plus a few other things.

27 minutes ago, Leonardo said:

What you are saying? :blink:

... The NodeBB forum software sucks no BBCode, the post editor is I dunno what to call it plus a few other things.

Yeah, the posting process at Beth truly is dreadful and, I find, sometimes even unpredictable, the worst sin of all. But then isn't NodeBB some kind of dumbware, targeted mostly at mobile devices? I can see why Beth would want to go that route, but wouldn't most people here be using PCs (genuine question, I just don't know)?

Perhaps AB knows more about NodeBB than we think. Has she posted anything there yet?

Well, it's kind of a basic thing a Forum S/W should do is detect Mobile and prepare gui & format accordingly. Do any of them do that? Properly? 

Edit: One annoyance about the Beth construct is that you are logged off every 24 hours. Yecch!

Edited by Schtearn

1 hour ago, Schtearn said:

Well, it's kind of a basic thing a Forum S/W should do is detect Mobile and prepare gui & format accordingly. Do any of them do that? Properly? 

Yeah, that would be fair play. Not dissing mobile users themselves, but so many websites (not just forums) have gone downhill from a PC point of view in the relentless struggle to catch mobile views. And I just don't know if there's a one-size-suits-all for forums. But, after all that, I'm sure AB knows what she's doing. Just a bit of a rant really.

[In fact, what I resent most about the Beth thing (although the UI is bad enough!) is the sidelining of all the old content (especially the Oblivion mods and CS subforums) - which I'm sure will quietly disappear completely any day soon. Something AB has just said she wouldn't do.]

Edited by tegeusCromis

I'm with Leo on this one. If NodeBB is a serious contender, I'm out. It's bad enough that one site in the community chose it. We don't need more doing that :P

Honestly, it sounds like you guys are ready to write your own software for the job. Vincent is correct that IPB is the best paid solution available right now. I was considering XenForo for AFK at one point until I tried the demo and found that to be complete crap that looked like children put it together.

Ya know, as far as free solutions go, MyBB isn't so bad. It's got a ton of plugins to choose from and is easy to use. Although they only support converting from "IPB 3.4 (Pre Release Version)"
It also doesn't have a native download or gallery system so that may be a problem as well.

On a side note, why not throw up my theme now so we're not blinded in the interim?

Edited by Vincent

I'm surprised at the "I'm out"  stuff. IMO it's the people that make the forum, not the software. I'm sure that Andalay will get whichever software she chooses configured well, or switch to one that can be. I only wish I knew enough to be of some help, but my experience starts & ends with BBS's circa 1994. :P

1 hour ago, Arthmoor said:

Heh, that could be fun. How many of us here still remember using that regularly? :P

Ah, them was the days. When trolls were real trolls, l33t haXXors were real l33t haXXors and n00bs were real AOL users...

Except - downloads. This group would get condemned to the binaries swamp and never come  out.

[Speaking here as a veteran of soc/alt.history.what-if and some of the sci. groups.]

Edited by tegeusCromis

2 hours ago, Vincent said:

Ya know, as far as free solutions go, MyBB isn't so bad. It's got a ton of plugins to choose from and is easy to use. Although they only support converting from "IPB 3.4 (Pre Release Version)"
It also doesn't have a native download or gallery system so that may be a problem as well.

On a side note, why not throw up my theme now so we're not blinded in the interim?

Actually I thought of that last night. I'll get it up shortly.

In terms of NodeBB, Beth has really fucked it up as near as I can tell. The company is literally right down the street from me! I'm thinking of taking a stroll and see if I can get a job.

I've also got the XenForo demo and it looks fine to me, but it's pretty limited so I need to do more research. As I said, once we've done more research, we'll put up a list of contenders with the pros and cons of each. If you guys are going to leave simply based on the forum software we choose, that's up to you. I prefer people who like being part of this community.

3 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

Honestly, it sounds like you guys are ready to write your own software for the job. Vincent is correct that IPB is the best paid solution available right now. I was considering XenForo for AFK at one point until I tried the demo and found that to be complete crap that looked like children put it together.

That's exactly why open source is an excellent choice, doesn't cost a penny only a lot of time is required of course one with enough skill is another requirement.

I think you would agree that XenForo does have a few advantages in comparison to IPS and that's like this.

• post history (all edits in a post will be listed)
  • smiley for a posted thread
  • smiley for a normal post

You might remember how BSF looked like in late 2010 and in 2011, until Bethesda upgraded the forum to IPS 3.1 or 3.2.  Now, IPS doesn't have any of that.

1 hour ago, Vincent said:

I once tried MyBB and TBH I wouldn't choose that today because I didn't like the GUI of it back then.  Although, I dunno how much have changed now.

However, if you compare MyBB and phpBB 3.0.x then I can understand why MyBB is a better choice.  But comparing MyBB with phpBB 3.1 or newer then phpBB 3.2.1 (latest stable) is a lot better being responsive and the old, now obsolete, MOD concept are now replaced with extensions.  Just select and install, it's easy and even a kid of 6-8 years old can install an extension in phpBB 3.2.1 without a problem.  A gallery and a download system can Joomla or other CMS suits take care of.

Please do, I can't stand the white background much longer. :)