• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
Schtearn

[RELz] Oldblivion

Oldblivion

View File

First of all: This isn't my file!

It's a release of a file that used to be hosted at the UESP. Now many links to that page fell under a nasty attack a few years ago, so much of the useful info related to the usage of Oldblivion has gone forever. For further info see this post to AKB at UESP (the last link may die soon viz. the UESP archiving system but it will be in the archives)

For anybody wishing to sample Oblivion on a very old machine, with an old card (think 256mb or less), or in VirtualBox or VMWare (think 2000, XP or Windows 7 at most) and the DX drivers are compatible with newer cards(big ask) then try this!

Most info on getting started is in the included readme.txt file.

Enjoy!design_of_oldblivion_com_by_matthewok.thumb.jpg.2d7d92195a6df71b76a0b5bd47a6c762.jpg

8299d.jpg

Edited by Schtearn

I didn't realise that UESP had ever hosted anything. Anyway, that's interesting. I once managed to network-install Oblivion on my netbook just to see if it could be done. It worked, though I had 2GB RAM, they used to come with 1GB as standard, which would have made it impossible. But performance was, ahem, a trifle lacking - I suspect that OldBlivion would have helped. That was going a bit far, but this could be very useful on older laptops with only slightly higher specs (and a DVD drive, of course, if you want to play it while on the bus).

Yeah, it can't hurt to preserve work from the community.  Oblivion was quite the AAA, demanding title for it's day.  Many a folk didn't have the juice in their rig to enjoy it in all it's glory.

I didn't know UESP hosted it either! I'm surprised you got it to network install. I tried that just back in April or so because my gaming laptop doesn't have a DVD drive and damn SecuROM had a hissy. Most aggravating is that I can't even UNINSTALL OB without the disk. My poor old Oblivion Disk has about bitten the dust, and I'm hoping it's got one last uninstall in it for my last disk install on my laptop. For years, once I got OB installed then I could play it using an ISO mounted to a virtual drive. Thank goodness for GOG! No more of that BS!

Thanks for posting this Schtearn! I've got some old laptops with integrated GPU's I plan on letting my kids use, and this might be fun for them!

Edited by RavenMind

I have no idea why it doesn't want to work anymore. It has only a very few, minor scratches. I've had CDs/DVDs in much worse shape work like a charm. When I put it into a drive (tried on multiple drives/computers), it causes the drive to chug and grunt for a minute or two, then the OS behaves as if there's no disk in the drive. Takes reinserting it numerous times to get a computer to recognize it. Even then, sometimes when I go to run the installer, or browse the DVD, the drive will chug away again, then blank out like no disk is inserted. This is a GOTY disk, and the second disk works just fine, despite it being in slightly worse shape. Unfortunately SecuROM wants Disk 1 to run the uninstaller. *sigh*

And, yes, I think CDs/DVDs do "go bad" sometimes. I've had numerous CDs that my wife or I have burned music to stop working in our car radios after a certain period of use. No visible damage. The heat seems to exacerbate the problem. And we've had particular trouble with one brand of CD-Rs in particular.

Edited by RavenMind

Self-burnt discs have a fairly short life, especially DVDs. You cannot be sure that a DVD burnt three years ago will still be readable. Business-burnt DVDs should be much more reliable, but nothing lasts forever, and even these can become unreadable over time, without any visible damage.

I thought DVD/CD's would last forever if kept well.  Steam and GOG are more appealing now.  I tend to try for discs because of my balls slow connection, but that may change.  Well it's more and more moving away from disc stuff nowadays anywho...

Like I said, nothing lasts forever. And that's one reason why I really like GOG's Connect as it means some games I can have on both platforms, so in the event that either GOG or Steam flatlines and shuts down, at least some games will be on the other platform.

Retail CDs and DVDs do last longer than self-burnt though, they probably spray a protective coating across the burnt disc surface, which the general public don't do with their burns.

I'm relieved. I think GOG has most of the games I consider essential. If it isn't a decade or more old, I can't be bothered...

And next time they have a deal on OB, I'll be grabbing that just to be sure. (And I still don't have Battlehorn Castle...)

Ah, Battlehorn Castle... not worth buying, IMO, but if you can snatch it it will entertain for a few minutes, kinda.  They released free for a time back in the days, so I grabbed and backed up.

Edited by Malonn
typo

I got it for free during the first month of release too. I always use it as my home base since it has lots of space. I decorate it with stuff from my Imperial Furniture Renovated mod. :) There’s not a big quest to do, but it has some goodies and it’s a nice little story. Fortunately it’s included in all the Oblivion packages now, so if you can get Oblivion for a good price, then it’s worth it.

Now to get this thread slightly back on track... :D Oldblivion is just the base game, right?

I see an obstruction in the lines ahead, the train may derail...:

Battlehorn Castle is great for mannequins and showing off armors.  Tons of space.  Also, Andalay, I've seen the IFR mod--it looks quite fun.  I just restart too much to get to a point that I can use it.