Sign in to follow this  
puddles

Misc. Creature Resources

It's feasible, I guess. If one imported the Slaughterfish IdleAnim for their "breach" into 3D Max 7, re-did the Extra Data, and exported it again so the the BSplines and other weird stuff are converted into a more sensible format, the animation's Bip01/Bip01 NonAccum translations and rotations could be tweaked to to a more horizontal leap instead of a vertical one.

---

Behold, the Hippolizar! Doesn't exist in the lore at all, but it felt TES enough for me to rig it to the boar skeleton. >.>

large.Hippolizar.jpg.9786a6a6ddd302e04b9

Edited by puddles

I'm not sure the lore is any kind of exclusive natural history guide, so I wouldn't worry. Anyway, excellent, that's quite a brute, I'm trying to work out what it feeds on normally, apart from NPCs.

puddles, have you any thoughts on snakes and similarly wriggly things (and, by Cthulhu's holy trousers, what about tentacles?) - I seem to remember someone saying they were working on that a while back, but not sure anything came of it. Thing is, I suspect a snake animation might not be too convincing on land, where it has to hug the terrain. But, in the water, I can imagine that a sea snake could be worked up by developing the animations out of the normal slaughterfish movement. (Well, could just as well be a conger eel as a sea snake, but perhaps you know what I mean...)

Okay, temporarily need to take the Whale Shark down because despite the model's source saying it was a Personal/Commercial License model it was seemingly ripped straight from WOW... -.- I found another model that I'll convert and replace it with, soon-ish.

Do you know how to create a 3D model from a photo? Jimi did a bunch of 3DS Max tutorials and one of them taught you how to do that. It’s not a conversion or anything. Basically you use the picture as a guide to creating the model. I might be able to get Jimi to explain it, if he remembers.

I figure it would be easier to find a picture than finding an existing model.

On 12/2/2017 at 6:39 AM, tegeusCromis said:

Splendid! First cetacean in the game, could be. Hope it doesn't get hunted to death!

I still need to tweak its weighting a bit because the flippers are acting a bit off, but...

large.Norbert.png.ccba094856668b3d4d906f

4 hours ago, puddles said:

I still need to tweak its weighting a bit because the flippers are acting a bit off, but...

That looks so cool. Isn't there an issue with it having horizontal tail fins (flukes) though, with regard to animation. Well, looking forward to seeing it in action.

In fact I actually do have some Bosmer whalers in a mod - Shivering Isles Alternative Start - but they don't appear in person, only in a letter which is itself a not-very-close pastiche of Moby-Dick. (They hunt creatures known merely as Leviathans to them. Didn't want to be too specific...)

Edited by tegeusCromis

....yeah, don't remind me how freakin' weird the Slaughterfish's animations are. What I'm thinking about doing is asking someone to load the Slaughterfish's animations into 3dmax and then export them to try and get rid of the weird vanilla formatting the animations have, then I can try to manually adjust the tail bones' rotations so they're vertical instead of horizontal.

4 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

I have 3DS Max. You'd have to tell me what to do though. :P

Why am I imagining Airplane quotes right now? But, surely, there should be no problems with this approach. ;)

(Sorry, I picked a hell of a week to give up inhaling industrial solvents...)

[Nah, you're braver than I, AB. Just can't get my head round the anim thing at all. Maybe I should spend a bit more time with it, though...]

On 04/12/2017 at 2:40 PM, puddles said:

....yeah, don't remind me how freakin' weird the Slaughterfish's animations are. What I'm thinking about doing is asking someone to load the Slaughterfish's animations into 3dmax and then export them to try and get rid of the weird vanilla formatting the animations have, then I can try to manually adjust the tail bones' rotations so they're vertical instead of horizontal.

Sorry, double post, but a tad more serious. Finally had a chance to look at some of them in-game. Love the frogs, I really like the idea of ambient wildlife, kind of mobile scenery. But I get an error showing on the daedra - missing hair texture? The hound and the Soul Cairn Servants are cool too. Still setting up my own testing hall, which keeps getting more elaborate, will have a look at the others later.

Which Daedra? Do you mean the Flame/Frost ones? They're supposed to be bald and just have their helmets, honestly...or at least that's what they were like in the older TES games, and I don't have the expertise to make molten or icy hair look realistic.

Going to deleting the Abyssfish file and uploading a replacement one containing it and several more new aquatic creatures (the Narwhal included).

Edit: Done, uploaded...I'll get around to it on Nexus too, but it's so freaking inconvenient to upload stuff there now...

Edited by puddles

OK, it was a TES4Edit error message. I'm sorry to be so vague, will get back to you when I've pinned it down. Ooh, look, a narwhal...

EDIT: I've got:

[00:00] Checking for Errors in [01] Fire & Frost Daedra.esp
[00:00] FireDaedraBald [HAIR:01000ED4]
[00:00]     HAIR -> Missing required members: Texture
[00:00] All Done!

OK. It's not an issue with your model, it's just the .esp. However, you can't simply remove the HAIR record, because you get unresolved refs:

[00:00] Checking for Errors in [01] Fire & Frost Daedra.esp
[00:00] FrostDaedra "Frost Daedra" [RACE:01000ED6]
[00:00]     RACE \ HNAM - Hairs \ Hair -> [01000ED4] < Error: Could not be resolved >
[00:00] FireDaedra "Fire Daedra" [RACE:01000ED3]
[00:00]     RACE \ HNAM - Hairs \ Hair -> [01000ED4] < Error: Could not be resolved >
[00:00] FireDaedra0Melee3Fem "Fire Daedra" [NPC_:01000ED8]
[00:00]     NPC_ \ HNAM - Hair -> [01000ED4] < Error: Could not be resolved >
[00:00] All Done!

I suppose this is an issue, because someone will likely just transfer your creature base record to their own mod. I have absolutely no idea as to whether the original error would cause any in-game problems, tho, it's a bit beyond my pay grade...

Edited by tegeusCromis

Okay, so I caved and actually bought the 2 packs of sea creature models off of CGTrader on sale. The only issue with this is that I can't release it as an "open resource" for non-personal projects...but if someone asks, I can just approve its use for X non-commercial mod/project. So slightly different permissions than the rest of my downloads, although honestly I'll just be rubber-stamping requests since I don't care. >.> Just finished the whale shark but I need to tweak the weights a bit. Probably going to do the Nursing Shark next.

Beautiful stuff! I was minded to look at doing a kind of  marine world mod way back, but couldn't seem to find many creatures. With these - well, maybe later, who knows...

(This is where the meormer could really come into their own, I guess...)

[EDIT: I think I see from the shot what you've done to get those starfish. OK, I'm guessing fivefold symettry is a tough one if you want to retain any walking animations.]

Edited by tegeusCromis

6 hours ago, tegeusCromis said:

Beautiful stuff! I was minded to look at doing a kind of  marine world mod way back, but couldn't seem to find many creatures. With these - well, maybe later, who knows...

(This is where the meormer could really come into their own, I guess...)

[EDIT: I think I see from the shot what you've done to get those starfish. OK, I'm guessing fivefold symettry is a tough one if you want to retain any walking animations.]

tbh there's a creature made for LoversLab called...Hitode, or something. It used that starfish-shaped Shivering Isles flora for a mesh and had some very vague animations. I copied that to a new directory and rigged the starfish to it.