• Announcements

• AndalayBay

SSL Installed   05/29/2018

Second IP obtained. The issues with IPv6 have also been fixed, but we can't switch to HTTPS until we switch forum software. We can't switch to HTTPS without a current license with IPS.
Sign in to follow this  
puddles

Misc. Creature Resources

Okay, so I while ago I mentioned the possiibility of altering the tail rotation of the Slaughterfish's animations so the tail goes up-and-down instead of right-to-left. I finally had some time to peer into the guts of files, and yeah it is possible...just kind of tedious. Considering I've done several aquatic animals that should move that way, though...I'll get it done, lol.

Edit #1: Fuck BSplines. That is all!

Edited by puddles

I 'did' get it to work, partially. The tail (and the whole body) undulates vertically instead of horizontally, but...nothing like a cetecean. More like something having a seizure. Need to sit down and try to subtly adjust it to more resemble how they move.

17 hours ago, puddles said:

I 'did' get it to work, partially. The tail (and the whole body) undulates vertically instead of horizontally, but...nothing like a cetecean. More like something having a seizure. Need to sit down and try to subtly adjust it to more resemble how they move.

Makes me think of Eadweard Muybridge (Still hard to believe that people didn't understand how horses ran until his 1870s photos.) I don't have much background here (was always more interested in invertebrates), but might it not be that cetaceans and other marine mammals don't actually undulate in the sense of waves travelling up and down the body, so it would make them look really weird?

I was looking at this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fin_and_flipper_locomotion

I find the description of fish locomotion easier to understand as a general principle - it's part of what makes them fish, I think. Mammals seem to deploy a wider range of movement strategies. I can visualise it, of course, from film, but modelling it would be another matter. Convergent evolution does have its limits (well, that's inevitable, really...)

EDIT: Crazy suggestion, I don't actually know how you're going about this stuff, pebbles. But maybe it would be possible to emulate evolution and take a mammal skeleton, like a horse, say, and adjust/reskin it as a cetacean - flippers are simply forelimbs, after all? Hindlimbs? Dunno. (I don't really know what I'm talking about TBH, but the idea appeals to me...)

Edited by tegeusCromis

1 hour ago, puddles said:

Hm. I suppose it couldn't hurt to try to rig a whale to a dog's skeleton and see what the swimming animation looks like, lol.

Well, it may not quite be a whale, but you might end up inventing a whole new creature. (Sadly, a dogfish is a small shark, but it could be, what, a blubberhound? A dogphin?)

Hey, as long as it's fit for porpoise ;)

Posted (edited)

Finished the pink amazonian dolphin. Next is probably...um...Ogrim, I think. Since I have a model to rig to the Ogre skeleton all ready. Or maybe the Alit to a modified Clannfear skeleton...

Edited by puddles

Any interest in a Clannfear skeleton that keeps their legs fom criss-crossing when they run? I made it mostly for personal use, but I might not be the only person driven crazy by that weird clipping and denial of physics.

Why not go ahead and release it? You might find it quite popular. Sometimes people don't even realize there's an issue, but once pointed out, they appreciate the fix.

Next update will include the Pink Argonian River Dolphin (IRL they only live in the Amazon, so Argonia is probably the most analogous place...) and Argonian Manatee, at least. Maybe a few more fish. I have a Chimpanzee semi-ready, but the texture is horrible because I made it and can't in2 adding fur/hair texture that doesn't look like crap. Not precisely sure when the update will be, because I'm busy helping with seekrat Black Marsh stuff.

...good question, I think I'm behind a version here on the Mundus Fishery file. I'll need to update that this evening, and I totally meant to add the Clannfear file here but got distracted. I need another me to handle the clerical end of modding so I can do the modding modding.

'Odd' is an understatement...the texture is really poor. I'm horrible at texturing things. :/ The model I bought and converted had no texture included, so I had to hand-make a UV Map for it in Blender and try to texture it myself. Obviously not professional, haha...