• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
puddles

Misc. Creature Resources

I tried to learn how for statics and I found even that hard. Basically it’s like trying to create wallpaper that will wrap around something. Once it’s wrapped around, it will make a pattern, but when you lay it out flat, it doesn’t make any sense. The software tries to help by unwrapping the template, but then you have to paint the texture unto the template.

Have a look at facial textures from a body mod and you’ll see what I mean. They don’t even look like faces, but once they’re wrapped onto the head, they work. I suspect most moddellers make new textures by just tweaking existing textures and don’t even make them from scratch.

It's not easy, and there's an art to it that I...just don't have. Last night I showed the texture to a good friend of mine, a Russian modder named Hedgehog12 (he handles The Symphony mod in the Morrowind section), and somehow he made it look better with just 15 minutes in Photoshop, even though I spent hours unsuccessfully trying to make it better. >_> One day I'll learn, maybe.

I've done some texture work, but mostly UI stuff.  There are some good texture artists out there though.  Did Hedgehog12 give permission to release his version of the were-croc skin?

Yeah, this weekend I'll try to so an update. There's a seam in the arm that got made visible when he magic'd the texture, so I need to load it into Blender and clone-paint it over. Once I do that I'll upload it. I'm looking at a way to release a patch for Curse of Hircine where Argonians who become Werewolves instead turn into Werecrocodiles, since they essentially use the same textures, as well. Need to figure out the permissions for that mess, since I have no idea who made the original version... -.-

This was actually made by an acquaintance of mine, but I rigged it to the Sheep. I intended to rig it to the Bear, buuuut...the Bear's skeleton is kind of FUBAR due to having been designed as a Biped but all of its animations being quadruped. If you look around the thighs and pelvis during its Power Attack when it rears up on its hind legs, you can see this nasty stretching.

Edited by puddles

Yeah I thought I read somewhere that a lot of creatures made by Bethesda were built from the human skeletons.  Lazy, I guess?  I know jack shit about modeling.

I’m guessing the bears were done that way so they could stand on their hind legs. Bethesda has a lot of artists, but no technical people. You look at their code and just shudder. I’ve read that the Net Immerse File format had a lot more features than what Bethesda used.

Neat.  So maybe that's why Oblivion's engine doesn't hold up well to a lot of mods (textures too)?  I know it wasn't an original engine, but they can tweak it.  I wonder how well the unreal engine from the same time frame holds up?

I think that’s more to do with the fact that Oblivion is 32 bit and single threaded. It’s CPU intensive and doesn’t use the capabilities of your graphics card.

Oh.  It's definitely likes a CPU over GPU.  It doesn't scale well either.  I think a Pentium was king back when it was released and now a Haswell-E (my aging CPU) barely performs better.  A GTX 1080 might as well be an 8800GTX.  I love the game though.

Yeah when I built a new machine a few years ago, I opted for the fastest CPU I could afford because of Oblivion. It’s weird because that’s normally immaterial, but not with Oblivion.

Ah, thank you.  I recognize it, so I've seen it before just forgot.  It's getting long in the tooth, but still more than capable for older games like Oblivion.

Honestly I don’t know. I have a ton of games I haven’t played yet! I think I should move this to Random Stuff - we’re derailing puddles’ thread!