Sign in to follow this  
puddles

Misc. Creature Resources

I tried to learn how for statics and I found even that hard. Basically it’s like trying to create wallpaper that will wrap around something. Once it’s wrapped around, it will make a pattern, but when you lay it out flat, it doesn’t make any sense. The software tries to help by unwrapping the template, but then you have to paint the texture unto the template.

Have a look at facial textures from a body mod and you’ll see what I mean. They don’t even look like faces, but once they’re wrapped onto the head, they work. I suspect most moddellers make new textures by just tweaking existing textures and don’t even make them from scratch.

It's not easy, and there's an art to it that I...just don't have. Last night I showed the texture to a good friend of mine, a Russian modder named Hedgehog12 (he handles The Symphony mod in the Morrowind section), and somehow he made it look better with just 15 minutes in Photoshop, even though I spent hours unsuccessfully trying to make it better. >_> One day I'll learn, maybe.

I've done some texture work, but mostly UI stuff.  There are some good texture artists out there though.  Did Hedgehog12 give permission to release his version of the were-croc skin?

Yeah, this weekend I'll try to so an update. There's a seam in the arm that got made visible when he magic'd the texture, so I need to load it into Blender and clone-paint it over. Once I do that I'll upload it. I'm looking at a way to release a patch for Curse of Hircine where Argonians who become Werewolves instead turn into Werecrocodiles, since they essentially use the same textures, as well. Need to figure out the permissions for that mess, since I have no idea who made the original version... -.-