Schtearn

Offerings from Android Enough? Else Alternative OS?

Carrying on from this thread some...

These probably have answers elsewhere on which all contributions can make for a cool Q&A type thread. :)

Before installing Ubuntu over Android, is there some escape clause if things go pear shape? viz. Is it possible to backup the current Android (V 6. Marshmallow) and restore it in case Ubuntu doesn't play nice for some reason?

Is a dual boot scenario possible as well?

Edited by Schtearn

Thanks. At first blush, this thread is a little premature for such drastic measures. Might actually explore a little more of Android before ditching it.

This Terminal looks like fun. :) 

Yeah, it's a nice system even if it does have its flaws. I would recommend installing an alternative launcher (I use Nova myself since most of the others either include ads or restrict a lot of features to paid subscriptions) as the default ones are a bit basic in terms of features. :)

I too use Nova, and even upgraded to Prime, (only about $5 USD, IIRC). I don't think the unpaid version lacked many features. As I recall, I mainly paid it to support the Dev. Been using it for years & put it on every device.

I'm still disappointed at the lack of any decent file explorers though. Sadly, ES File Explorer still seems to be the best, but it's been rumored to send various data off to lord knows where, and it's serving up more and more ads lately. :(

Normally, I'd just block it with AF Firewall, but it requires root for effective blocking, and I haven't wanted to root my current phone till I'm out of warranty. Also still can't believe there's not an effective way to block outgoing connections from apps w/o root. Sheesh!

Edited by RavenMind

Is Astro still around? I used it years ago & thought the last time I looked at file managers that it was abandoned. Hmm, I'll have to take another look. Thanks! 

This is the one I use. Icons are very taste dependent though. I dislike the vast majority of the most popular ones. Maybe I just have bad taste. :P

The friendly folks at our local Office Solutions printed off and bound the 108 page manual. I'm currently on page three!

The OS upgraded nicely, but, unfortunately cannot be used too muchly as the package contained a charger with EU pins. PM'd the suppliers, no response yet. :)

7 hours ago, RavenMind said:

Are you still on Android then or did you flash Ubuntu? I'm interested how it turns out for you! :)

Well, :P the Ubuntu thing is going to have to remain on hold for the time being- unless there's a one or two click solution or at worst a dual boot. Ubuntu may run into issues with the newer H/W, but at any rate I have signed up for interest in Linux for Galaxy.

At any rate, in  setting up accounts for this device there's hurdles enough- hopefully most of them can be resolved by completing the manuals (Australian, English) and the reference (AU, UK).

Why that? because this is a UK model, (hence the EU pins- which means the device now at 33% can't be turned on much at all until we get another), although that shouldn't be a problem with the phone as 3G & 4G are international standards.

• Wild swiping can (among other things) cascade running apps nicely so they can be closed. hopefully Linux can do better!
  • It can also toggle the tablet to portrait/landscape modes.
  • Unable to close the Galaxy Apps Window.
  • Chrome update failed.
  • Able to access MS contacts via the browser page as suggested on this link, but no way in hell or high water can they be exported to mail or such. Edit: Can see the menu in W10 Chrome but 'taint in the Android. Perhaps try updating again? Who knows?

Edited by Schtearn

Wow! I've not had such trouble with Android devices, granted I've only bought the US models. Sorry to hear you're not having a better experience with it! :(

If you don't have a warranty, I'd definitely at least get root so you can remove those "customizations". I'm a fan of Samsung devices, I think the hardware quality is fairly good, but they're definitely loaded up with junk. I've rooted every device I've had, usually close to after I bought it. Then when Samsung put Knox on their devices, I waited till the day after my warranty expired. LOL

If you're looking for more info I can cull some links for you. :)

3 hours ago, RavenMind said:

If you don't have a warranty, I'd definitely at least get root so you can remove those "customizations". I'm a fan of Samsung devices, I think the hardware quality is fairly good, but they're definitely loaded up with junk. I've rooted every device I've had, usually close to after I bought it. Then when Samsung put Knox on their devices, I waited till the day after my warranty expired. LOL

If you're looking for more info I can cull some links for you. :)

Thanks. :) Honestly as a very occasional user it's probably a little too dramatic at this stage for a root or flash,  but definitely interested in crippling/removing/disabling stuff that is bloatware/overtaxing the battery/chewing up too much CPU.

The first good move on my part was not to sign up for a Samsung account. :P

Actually there's something that's cropped up more of an urgent nature. I have some vcf contacts sitting nicely in a folder on OneDrive. The OneDrive app is signed into, but there it ends. Hitting Contacts in Settings does get any import dialog as such. Help! :o

Edited by Schtearn

I think the problem may be that Samsung likes to have the .vcf's on device before it will import, as opposed to getting them directly from OneDrive. If your Samsung Contacts app is like mine, then I believe this should work. In any case, it should be similar:

• Download the .vcf files to local storage. Any folder will do.
  • Open the Contacts app
  • Tap the 3 dots icon in the top right corner (menu)
  • Tap Settings > Import/Export Contacts > Import
  • Choose Device, SD card, or SIM card - wherever you saved the .vcf's to.
  • Choose where you want to save the .vcf's to (i.e., Phone, Google Account, etc.)
  • It should search the whole storage location for .vcf files. Choose which you want or tap All at top right
  • Tap Done at the top left.

If you have a lot of them it may take some time to import. You may need to back a menu in settings to "Contacts to display" and choose which you want to view. (I tend to use a custom list.)

That should be it. Hope it helps! :)

Edited by RavenMind

2 hours ago, Schtearn said:

Honestly as a very occasional user it's probably a little too dramatic at this stage for a root or flash,  but definitely interested in crippling/removing/disabling stuff that is bloatware/overtaxing the battery/chewing up too much CPU.

I understand. Problem is that Samsung, like most other companies, doesn't allow you to remove most of the bloatware as a "normal user", for instance Facebook, which hogs resources every time you power on, and restarts itself shortly after it's killed. Gaining root is usually pretty easy, and lets you remove all that stuff. Plus in doing so you can put in a custom recovery system that will allow you to easily make a backup image of the whole device in-case something goes horribly awry. If you decide to do that at some point, let me know & I'll point you toward some good info for your device. :)

Edited by RavenMind

I see, well for the moment will attempt to turn all Facebook settings down as much as possible.

FBsettings.JPG.e932cb286cc17032d9c7f81484af31e0.JPG

Anything else that can be turned down?

Edited by Schtearn

Have difficulty with the vcf folder which contains 100's of files. Is there any way to copy the folder across?

Edit: Maybe there is a way with Astro. Able to focus the folder- but unable to drag it to the home screen. Will have to read more!

Edited by Schtearn

The FB app settings look good, but VM's right in going into Settings>Apps>(menu)>App permissions. That's where the nitty gritty stuff can be toned down. You'll still have the services running, but there's no way I'm aware of to keep those killed off w/o root. (Check out the app "Greenify", it helps put a lot of those things "to sleep")

17 hours ago, Visceral Moonlight said:

Though, I think I may be misunderstanding something.

Me too. I was thinking you were accessing it via the OneDrive app. I would presume there's a way to copy them to a folder in local storage via the app, but I don't use OneDrive, so I'm not sure. If you're hooked up to your computer then then VM's suggestion should work. The path should be something like //storage/emulated/0/[MyVCFs]

Edited by RavenMind