Schtearn

Offerings from Android Enough? Else Alternative OS?

Interesting, I'll have to give that a try! It's always baffled me why in a Linux based environment there's no meaningful user-configurable firewall without gaining root. Then of course, the manufacturers don't want people preventing apps they bundle from being able to get a connection out. :/

In general, it's to try and make sure it's not modified maliciously by making it so that a regular user cannot change important system configurations. With Android, I think it's a hold over. Even on my developer phone, you still need escalated permissions to do things like that.

Currently roaming hence terse.

Thanks! Now appreciating the reason behind rooting. Some things go tickety boo, but the Samsung apps definitely target another cross section of the market.

Where are the braces and dashes on the keyboard? 

Yep, flashing is the way forward! :)

Tap ?123 on the keyboard and then =\<. They're hidden in there. You could also use a Bluetooth keyboard. :)

Give me a bit and I'll get you some links to get started with flashing. It's pretty simple but you'll need to do some stuff via adb and the command-line first.

Thanks, actually trying out the hacker's keyboard which is cool-- and swaps the forward del function for the back space. :)

What's a good method of backup before proceeding?

Most of the data is automatically backed up to Google's servers if you have those settings enabled. RM can correct me if I'm wrong but I think you'd only need to backup the download folder. In which case, you should be able to just copy it on a computer.