In Memoriam

View File

In Memoriam v1.0 [BETA/WIPz]
Author: tegeus-Cromis
28 Nov 2017

"His soul swooned softly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead."
- James Joyce, The Dead.

[This is a brief and provisional readme for TAL. Even the title of this mod may change soon enough.]

This mod places dynamically updated memorials to the dead in all the cities, and two of the guilds. The memorial texts are updated around midnight on a daily basis and will display the date of death, provided the NPC died after the mod was installed - otherwise the death is registered as unknown. Oh, and if you do not see any memorials, that's because no-one's died yet in your game. Heh, just wait...

Requirements

Oblivion v1.2.0.416    (I strongly suggest you install the Unofficial Oblivion Patch too, though. I checked this against it.)
OBSE v21 (What I used. I won't guarantee results with any earlier version.)

Installation

I recommend using BAIN, for which this archive is suitable. If you choose to do it manually, though, simply unpack all the files in the archive to your game data folder and activate the .esp. Load order should not be critical, this should work anywhere - I tested it before and after Better Cities.

Uninstallation

Obvious with BAIN. But again, if you are doing this manually, simply delete from \Data the files:

In Memoriam v1.0.esp
\Docs\In Memoriam v1.0 - Readme.txt
\Textures\Menus\Book\tegeusCromis\InMemoriam01.dds
\Textures\Menus50\Book\tegeusCromis\InMemoriam01.dds

and folders:
\Meshes\tegeusCromis\architecture\Memorials
\Textures\tegeusCromis\architecture\Memorials

Compatibility

This being mostly scripted, it should enjoy a high degree of compatibility. No base NPC records were harmed in its making. But it does place memorials in all the cities, the Arcane University and Kvatch encampment. However, I have placed them both with a view to vanilla and Better Cities, not forgetting the pathgridding, of course. It does mean that you might think a couple of them are in odd places, of course. Most are by the chapels, but I don't think the others should be too hard to locate. And the IC one is located there for a good reason (check round Talos Plaza).

But - of course there may be clashes with other mods that alter these locations, I cannot speak for Open Cities Reborn, for example. If I'm told about them, I'm sure they can be easily patched.

Tools used:

TESCS (with CSE)
Tes4Edit
Nifskope
Blender

Credits

meo3000 for the open book resource.
Bethesda, for the game and CS (though big thanks to ShadeMe too, for extending the latter).

Use of resources

I retextured one of MEO's open books (https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/20643/) for the memorial, so due credit should be given to them if you use it, which you are welcome to do.

More information

For more information, please re-read this document.

Edited by tegeusCromis

Phew. Well, this may seem like an awful lot of effort for a rather slight result. OK, firstly it's a WIPz of sorts, because it's testing out the basis for a bunch of other NPC stuff I want to do which, of it works, will become part of this mod. But it's also a beta because even if I never get the other stuff finished, it will still be playable. I hope.

Well, the whole idea is to give the vanilla NPCs more individuality. (And afflict the player with a overpowering feeling of existential angst, naturally.) I used CODA initially to give EdIDs to all those instances of NPCs missing them, then printed out the result as an array of references that can be accessed by OBSE. (If anyone finds this array useful, please feel free to use it, I'm sure you'll credit me...) This is then alpha-sorted and used to create a 2D array which, if you squint really hard, could be mistaken for some sort of spreadsheet. (Schemas of mice and men...)

This is, of course, used to store death dates, but I am also holding a lot of other info that could be substituted by later function calls - however I'd like more flexibility than that. I've, for example, given the NPCs birthdays, which I hope to use in future. We'll see.

That's for later. But focusing on this mod, in no special order:

1. The alert reader may be wondering how a stonemason can keep updating a monument in alphabetical order. I have sorting issues, could be fixed, but for now, just imagine that the PC is seeing it in their mind's eye. Which also explains the scrolly sound. Wish I could get rid of the value/weight thing tho.

2. Yes, there are a lot of people left out. For the rural folks, I think I'd add little memorial shrines in the local pubs, for example. For some, it'll have to be tombstones in the garden, just like Shivering Isles. With regard to which, this is vanilla only so far. SI already does a tiny bit of this, with that graveyard outside Crucible, but can add it to the main mod later. The KOTN version means that The Nine Divines (who don't take many casualties in vanilla) will get a memorial, plus the Knights themselves.

As far as other factions go, I have already incorporated the TG, tho they obviously are not having a public memorial (I have a few ideas tho). And many other factions could be commemorated - even the poor legion/city guard guys who respawn (just give the numbers of dead, which is likely quite high).

Ah heck, there's a bunch of other stuff, but I've already gone on too long. Hope you like it.

Edited by tegeusCromis

Well, I don't see why the naughty people wouldn't be remembered, after all, they may have families and friends. Or not. But yes and no - I can't do much with levelled lists I think, so nameless enemies generated by spawn points will be lost and forgotten. Which is most of them. I, similarly, can't do a lot with named, but respawning, NPCs - I mean you don't want to keep adding them to memorials and chipping the names off again.

But I can count unnamed respawner deaths, like the legion riders, for example. (Though I think maybe they should have a sign saying 'Number of days since a fatal incident...')

However, some enemy factions could be done. For example, the Mythic Dawn might have a memorial in the cave out at Lake Arrius, or the necromancers at Mannimarco's place, maybe. They'd be sort of easter eggs, really. Speaking of the Mythic Dawn, there is already an issue there, which is that the townsfolk commemorate people like Jearl in Bruma. Well, I've decided that's OK - the locals knew her well and they are likely simply to believe she was led astray by an evil cult. For most purposes, I'll let those people stand, may have to remove some later, though.

As it stands, we have ~950 NPCs that are tracked, nearly all named. That should go up a couple of hundred if I include the SI, which I will do later.

Nah. Not doing gravestones unless I can't help it (isolated farmhouses and such). Compatibility (and I'm lazy). Having said that, I could, on version 1.1, add dates to the existing SI headstones. (Why does the SI have the same calendar? Oh, who knows...) The SI would have some crazy monuments, though, so I'll need new meshes for the city ones - and they would have to be different for Dementia and Mania, of course.

Edited by tegeusCromis

Possibly 'monuments' would be confusing too. Yeah, it's a mess. In the UK, a monumental mason also does gravestones too, which are monuments in the ordinary sense, of course. But in ordinary speech, monumental usually implies grand or massive - 'a truly monumental act of stupidity'. 'Memorial', don't think I've seen that in use in the UK in this context, again it's usually grander - 'war memorial' - though, yeah, the headstones are actually memorials - everything else being 'grave ornaments'. A rich vocabulary of death...

tegeus,

Congrats on the release.  Cool idea; hasn't been done in vanilla.  Like VM was asking, what exactly are the memorials added by this mod?  You mentioned chiseling, implying stone, but then said you don't want to do gravestones.  So are the memorials postings (as in paper with a little something written about the deceased?--as in OOO's warnings to citizens it adds in cities.) in chapels, etc?  Maybe in the local pubs?  Is it a "book of the deceased" you can flip through?  Where can one find the book in that case?

The most obvious answer would be tombstones (gravestones)--which is what I thought you meant (VM too, I believe).

This may find a home in my next playthrough though, just want soem clarification.  Thanks.

54 minutes ago, Malonn said:

tegeus,

Congrats on the release.  Cool idea; hasn't been done in vanilla.  Like VM was asking, what exactly are the memorials added by this mod?  You mentioned chiseling, implying stone, but then said you don't want to do gravestones.  So are the memorials postings (as in paper with a little something written about the deceased?--as in OOO's warnings to citizens it adds in cities.) in chapels, etc?  Maybe in the local pubs?  Is it a "book of the deceased" you can flip through?  Where can one find the book in that case?

The most obvious answer would be tombstones (gravestones)--which is what I thought you meant (VM too, I believe).

This may find a home in my next playthrough though, just want soem clarification.  Thanks.

Thanks, Malonn, would value your criticisms if you do install it. OK, there really does seem to be some sort of transatlantic misunderstanding here. These are collective stone memorials, as in 'war memorials', erected by the cities and the guilds to display a roll of citizens and members who have 'fallen' (nearly always died, though there is one exception). They are dynamic, i.e. just after midnight the script looks for NPCs who are newly dead and adds them, including date of death and, if it's a guild memorial,  guild rank. They are all outdoors, as can be seen in the screenshots - and the readme, and the description on the download page, offers some information as to their location.

[The civilian ones, by the way, are somewhat inspired by the Blitz memorials that can be seen in most large British cities. In London, not unnaturally, indivdual boroughs, districts and even streets have them, though the last are most usually plaques. I often find them quite moving and I sometimes stop for a moment of contemplation. The stone book format, in fact, reflects an actual one I know well.]

Edited by tegeusCromis

4 minutes ago, Malonn said:

Sweet!  I shoulda looked at the screens before posting... I like the memorial way better than plain tombstones.

Well, I hope you may download it, but I shan't beg :)

In fact, one thing I did not mention is that there should be a memorial (or whatever term suits) to all the in-game dead, without regard to faction, somewhere. It needs to be suitably grand, so it's not going to be in a city, too many issues. (There could be a plaque on the wall of the Imperial Palace, or the Temple of the One, though.) I haven't yet come up with a location, though the Moth Priests Temple suggested itself for some reason. It might have been an idea to place it at coordinates (0,0), but I understand that making any edits round there is a bad idea.

Oh yes, I'm going to download it.  I'm still in the modding/building stage of my next playthrough, so no need to download quite yet.  As a bonus, that should give you time for bug fixes and feature/enhancement updates.

Edited by Malonn

Excellent, I could not want more, because if it's applied to an existing character, you will get that long list of DATE UNKNOWNs, shouldn't happen with a new one. (I have started a new PC, but no vanilla named NPC has died yet. Sadly. I'll do a few killalls soon enough, but it always makes me feel like a mass murderer.) Hope you don't go to the SI or do KOTN until I fix those up. Ah heck, can't be asked today, think I'll just play the game...

47 minutes ago, AndalayBay said:

Oh, I know what you mean now. We call them memorials too. In fact the Vimy memorial in France is really impressive.

I've actually heard of it, Canada doesn't get enough credit in either world war, I think (especially in both Battles of the Atlantic, before the US decided to give a hand - which was much appreciated, thanks, don't get me wrong). Anyway, always wanted to go hiking round those WW1 battlefields. It's not far to go, I really should get round to it.

Edited by tegeusCromis

*Bump* :) Well, not yet uploaded, but I've gone a little way beyond memorials now, there's also a set of dynamically updated scrolls you can put in your pocket that replicate the info. These could be helpful while modding, in fact. I also have a Cyrodiil Monument ('monument', right, people?) at location (0,0) with a built-in compass rose. It's cell (3,3) that has the evulz, I'd forgotten (has anyone ever figured out why?).

Of note, editing at and round (0,0) seems to generate 2-3 ITMs every time you save, doesn't seem to break the game though. None of the mods I have loaded do anything there, so I am still wondering if this is wise... Likely will update tomorrow, anyway.

EDIT: Well, dodged a bullet, in fact. Didn't know about cell (-47,-7) - maybe it should be better known, only a CTD on exit, but still... Missed it by one cell.

Edited by tegeusCromis

Are you using the CSE? I thought I heard something about Beth using cell 3,3 for something and that’s why the map disappears if it’s edited in a plugin.

The CSE, of course, it's my best friend it is.  Yeah, it is really just a local map issue, but annoying - interesting that no-one seems to agree whether the bug occurs in other worldspaces than Tamriel, though. So what they are using it for, who knows? I doubt I'm really testing another limit with an object at absolute zero - (0,0,0,0) - the SW corner of cell (0,0). Well, vanilla has a rock with those coords, I don't think it's a big deal. Perhaps the world would end if I moved it to z:0 though...

EDIT: Oh good grief. The Random Vanishing Landscape thing was already described on the wiki. Didn't spot it. It's now sorted by installing Engine Bug Fixes, but it was the bane of my life with patching and extending Qarls Harvest - I just didn't realise it was due to all that fruit rolling into other cells until the EBF guys told me. (The problem was mostly with the originals, I'm mean with collision meshes, so my fruit isn't as mobile, though I was hoping to 'improve' it.) Well, the lesson is to reread that page now and then...

Edited by tegeusCromis

Oh, I can assure you it happens in other worldspaces. I converted Black Marsh to an ESP to make creating patches easier and I had to delete the contents of cell 3,3 to get the local map to work. I’ll restore the contents when I split out the BM worldspace stuff into a master again.

15 hours ago, tegeusCromis said:

*Bump* :) Well, not yet uploaded, but I've gone a little way beyond memorials now, there's also a set of dynamically updated scrolls you can put in your pocket that replicate the info. These could be helpful while modding, in fact. I also have a Cyrodiil Monument ('monument', right, people?) at location (0,0) with a built-in compass rose. It's cell (3,3) that has the evulz, I'd forgotten (has anyone ever figured out why?).

Of note, editing at and round (0,0) seems to generate 2-3 ITMs every time you save, doesn't seem to break the game though. None of the mods I have loaded do anything there, so I am still wondering if this is wise... Likely will update tomorrow, anyway.

EDIT: Well, dodged a bullet, in fact. Didn't know about cell (-47,-7) - maybe it should be better known, only a CTD on exit, but still... Missed it by one cell.

We use the term "memorials" here in the States as well.  But "grave" is the most used term (for the spot someone is buried, complete with inscribed stone).  Memorial: like there's the Vietnam War memorial in D.C., in honor of those who lost their lives in the war.  So, "memorial" may be the better term, tegeus, because they are not where the NPC is buried, rather they are in honor of the deceased.

But, keep those updates coming, tegeus. :)  When it's time to load this sucker up in my game, she should be well refined.  Mature, if you will.

14 minutes ago, Malonn said:

But, keep those updates coming, tegeus. :)  When it's time to load this sucker up in my game, she should be well refined.  Mature, if you will.

Cheers, yes, I'd use 'grave' in everyday conversation, too. Well, I've never known anyone grand enough to pony up for an actual tomb with, like, bronze doors and stuff and an alarm cord for when you get prematurely interred as the result of a cataleptic episode.

Anyway, now distracted by the power of teleportation, so maybe tomorrow for that monument,  just don't feel like doing poxy UV mapping just now, basically.

Edited by tegeusCromis