Happy Birthday AndalayBay!

What colour candles?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. What colour candles?

• White
    • Extra White
    • Supercalifraglistic White
    • Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious White
    • Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious White with sexy looking volva at the base

1 hour ago, AndalayBay said:

Here in Ontario, they get a lot of volunteers to pick the grapes. The sudden freeze happens in December or January. Most of the wineries are in the Niagara region and they often post pictures of the volunteers picking the grapes at 4 am. They have to do it in one night or they'll lose the grapes.

Well. I never realised that you folk grew grapes, like I said, guess you are a bit south of us, extra light. We do have UK vineyards, but to no good end, really. Maybe EU price inflation after bloody Brexit will make them competitive, doubt it though because there'll be no-one wanting to pick them. :( It would be ghastly in any case. Anyway, I will be looking out for Canadian wine, though I doubt if any of it gets here.

But with this early chill here right now, I think it's time to crack open a bottle of port. (Damn, another fine EU product.) Just thinking of a glass makes me feel a little warmer. But moderation, moderation. (Easy to say,  groan...)

We’ve got some pretty good Ontario wines. In fact, now we have the VQA (Vintner’s Quality Assurance). Buying their wines pretty much guarantees a nice wine. I believe Ontario has over 100 wineries. This site has lots of info, including details on the Niagara Icewine Festival.

I’m afraid we stayed well clear of UK wine when we visited in 2001. :D

13 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

Here in Ontario, they get a lot of volunteers to pick the grapes. The sudden freeze happens in December or January. Most of the wineries are in the Niagara region and they often post pictures of the volunteers picking the grapes at 4 am. They have to do it in one night or they'll lose the grapes.

Wow! I really need to see if I can get my hands on some of that. Any brand recommendations?

Edited by RavenMind

8 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

I’m afraid we stayed well clear of UK wine when we visited in 2001. :D

That's a relief, I wouldn't want to treat a guest like that - hope you had a great time. (In fact, I believe there are some palatable varieties, but it's pot luck and they're likely the more expensive ones. There's a reason why British wine makes up less than 1% of the domestic market...) No reason why UK wine shouldn't be a thing, I believe the Romans grew grapes here as far north as the Midlands. But it's a lost art, it seems. Although one excuse is that the weather, while it may not be extreme, is pretty unpredictable - I believe grape harvests benefit from reliable conditions.

8 hours ago, RavenMind said:

Wow! I really need to see if I can get my hands on some of that. Any brand recommendations?

I would say anything you can get your mittens on. :D Here's a nice guide on icewine in general.

I don't imagine you'd have much in the way of choices if you can get it at all. If we have a bad year, it affects everybody. Similarly when it's a good year, then all the brands are usually pretty good.