TheDarkListener34

Nexus Mod Manager SSE

So, before I explain on this. I want to tell you all that last night. My computer had to reset itself because it had some sort of data transfer, which I didn't know about. I was trying to plug my chair that has speakers by where my actual head is. I didn't work out. When I noticed all of the videos that I was trying to play, like Youtube, VRV, Music Player and etc. They all were buffering. I waited and waited nothing happened. So I decided to restart. However, after the restart process, it kept saying something like "sorry something went wrong please try to restart" or something. So I did. However, it kept saying this over and over and over like six times. So I clicked Advanced options and clicked reset. 

Like I said My computer had to reset itself back to where it was before. All of my apps were gone except my personal files were kept (Thank god) So I had to download everything all over again. 

Now, here's where  I'll explain about Nexus Mod Manager, after I downloaded Skyrim Special Edition, LOOT, and NMM even verifying game cache just to be safe. I didn't even touch NMM after it was installed and make sure SSE had it in. However, all the mods were still in there even in the files. When I checked them to see if there were in NMM. They were gone in plugin section but in the mod section, they all had green check marks. Before I do anything stupid. What do I do? Do I reinstall them again or just play it or what? Because I don't want to have corrupted data in my saves. Yes, my saves are still there. Do I need to delete my saves......which I don't want too because I'm still writing my story. But I don't know

You guys tell me I'm not gonna do anything yet. 

Restore the machine to a previous state? That's a bit drastic! Sounds like you may have malware- perhaps consider Malwarebytes or Spybot?

It isn't a good idea to have NMM updating stuff when the NexusMods site is busy, and at any rate it isn't being developed any more- Wrye Bash is- and just as easy to use.

Just ditch NMM and use WB, there are experienced users here who can assist with any issues. :)

Edited by Schtearn
  • Like 1

NMM puts files in a number of different places and infests the registry. I don't let NMM within spitting distance of my machine anymore, so I can't remember exactly where NMM puts the mods it downloads. It's possible that the reset didn't delete the location where NMM puts the mods it downloads. Did you have your Steam library folder in Program Files (x86), which is Steam's default? If so, then this likely got wiped. If not, then it's possible the reset just deleted the Steam program files, while keeping your library folder.

I would first manually check where NMM puts the mods it downloads to see if they are there, (i.e., using Windows Explorer). Then check SSE's /Data folder & see if the mods you had previously installed still have their files there, or if it looks like a fresh install. There shouldn't be a need to delete your saves. Just make a copy of them & stick them in another folder somewhere for safe-keeping.

Remind me, the Mod Section of NMM shows what mods you have downloaded, & the Plugins section shows which you have installed, right? If so, then you should be able to just use NMM (or any other manager) to reinstall the mods. Sort your load order how it was according to your saves. (Wrye Bash can display the save file info to show you what LO position each mod was in.) Then you can fire up a save & see if it works. The Load Order positioning can be important to preserve the integrity of your savegames, so I'd suggest at least viewing that info with Wrye Bash, even if you don't intend to use it as a mod manager, so you can get the LO right. (If NMM displays this info, great, but I don't think it does.) If you get a message pop up when you load a save that warns you about changed or missing plugins, exit, and adjust your load order until that no longer happens. If you've made a copy of your saves as mentioned previously, if you don't get the LO right & save over it, then something goes wrong, you can then copy that save backup back in & try again.

Schtearn's suggestion to scan for viruses & malware is a good one. Just in-case.

Online Scanners:

For full time protection the two Schtearn mentioned are excellent. Spybot is the elder of the two (meaning their dev team has been around longer), but both can be run without conflict. I would choose only one for real-time though.

If you're looking at getting Spybot Search & Destroy, download it ONLY from https://www.safer-networking.org/dl/

There are a LOT of copycat sites which give you fake versions that start putting malware on your machine.

If any of those scans find an infection & fail to completely remove it try going to one of these sites for help. I was on the team at both, a lifetime ago. You should get correct advice & quality help from either, (assuming things haven't changed THAT much). :)

Edited by RavenMind
  • Like 1

Okay, so what I did have I just disabled all the mods from the tools scroll down and Disabled all active mods. However, the only problem is, is that I didn't know what Uninstall all active mods do. I was worried that it might delete everything in NMM. I like NMM and I'm not gonna use Wrye Bash whatsoever. There is a reason why I hate Wrye Bash so much. I do like its features. Sadly, I hate downloading them manually, I hate how I have to keep looking at mods that need to be updated. I downloaded 202 mods ever since SSE came out, I don't want to manually look at mods that get updated everyday or every once a week. I like to see a warning that there is an update for the mod.  I like to see something like directly a button like NMM and it downloads it from its servers onto NMM. It automatically downloads it for you and I can install just of a click of a button. I am stubborn from programs like this. However, from Malware and whatever, I don't think I had a virus on my computer. Like I said in my first post. It reset itself. I have Norton as my antivirus protection and no I am not going to any other antivirus programs. Norton works fine. I have a huge amount of protection right now. Even protecting my identity from identity theft. I don't trust any other Antivirus program other than Norton. So sorry I am already a subscriber for Norton anyway. 

The game works fine. Just a few mods that say that they're not there. But I'll probably have to figure something out for that. I always sort my load order every time I add a mod to my NMM if it's an animation I use FNIS and LOOT. My game works fine. So I am not panicking. My computer works fine as well. I'll say this again, I had to reset it back the way it was before. I have RAID10 after all. RAID is a good system for Backup system and for speed. Norton has always been keeping an eye out for any virus. And most files that I download or most sites I visited are either safe or not safe. I have four TB Storage drives that I needed for RAID10. I am fine with it. This computer is fine with it. And yes I know what RAID system is. 

Like I said all the apps got removed from my computer and all of my personal files were still there. Everything that's not personal was removed from my computer, even Steam, Origin, all of my games were removed even it's files. Here I'll show you

Apps2.thumb.png.4c69490d8705c249679bb029e370209f.png

I had to re-download everything that was on this list. That were REALLY important to this computer. App3.thumb.png.7f72b351c391957cf8e3738a880e7ec9.png

Like for example, NVIDIA was really important even Microsoft Visual C++ I wasn't sure if MSI and Intel are automatically downloaded onto my computer. I gotta keep in my mind that I'm gonna need to probably download them again even Adobe 

Edited by TheDarkListener34

Okay.. There's no need to get hostile. I wasn't asking you to switch mod managers, anti-viruses, or mocking your RAID configuration. I just provided links to online scans if you were interested, & a little bit of information.

9 hours ago, TheDarkListener34 said:

Do I reinstall them again or just play it or what?

I assumed these were your questions, and given my understanding of your problem, suggested a possible course of action.

1 hour ago, TheDarkListener34 said:

..The game works fine.

..My computer works fine as well.

Then I'm wondering what your question is exactly?

1 hour ago, TheDarkListener34 said:

I didn't know what Uninstall all active mods do.

This is the closest thing to a question I could discern from your post. I can not answer that question. Perhaps someone else here can, or you can try the NMM Forum.

I'm sorry that I seem to be hostile but the questions that I asked were do I reinstall the mods or do I play cuz I did play the game but there were no mods. Like I said all I did was disabled the mods and re-enabled them except I had to reinstall a few mods here and there.

I did ask a question in Nexus forums and I haven't had my question answered in a few days.....

But again I am sorry that I seem to be hostile. I wasn't going towards it though. I am being honest about what I was doing. I wasn't doing the Examination points though haha ^^

Edited by TheDarkListener34

No problem. :) I just had a hard time understanding what the question was, but I've had a long day so it's probably just me (both twin 2 year olds and myself are sick..).

If it were me, I'd reinstall the mods and play, after making sure the saves are backed up. Then if there happens to be any corruption you can revert to your backups & try to pin down why. Sounds like you've got a good backup system going with your RAID config.

I tried to find an online version of the NMM ReadMe, a manual, or even a forum post to see exactly what the Uninstall All Active Mods does, but was unable to locate anything. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Edited by RavenMind

2 hours ago, TheDarkListener34 said:

Sadly, I hate downloading them manually, I hate how I have to keep looking at mods that need to be updated.

I had to re-download everything that was on this list. That were REALLY important to this computer.

Yes, that's a feature that is lacking. Perhaps WB will take it on sometime when the dust settles over the new NexusMods layout.

Another possibility is to check your files - it's a bit involved, but should be done from time to time. Or check for memory issues.

What version of Windows are you running? It sounds like it was attempting to download an update. There are ways to prevent it, but perhaps it should be left to first update before running NMM.

22 minutes ago, Schtearn said:

Yes, that's a feature that is lacking. Perhaps WB will take it on sometime when the dust settles over the new NexusMods layout.

Another possibility is to check your files - it's a bit involved, but should be done from time to time. Or check for memory issues.

What version of Windows are you running? It sounds like it was attempting to download an update. There are ways to prevent it, but perhaps it should be left to first update before running NMM.

No, actually it wasn't doing an update. I plug my Xrocker chair that has speakers on where the head is at. And it said something like downloading the plugin or something I don't know. I have Windows 10. It had nothing to do with NMM though ^^
I wanted to get the speakers from my chair to work. However, when I tried to listen to music or watch a video from its sound. The video was buffering like for ten minutes and nothing happened. So, bad idea was I restart the computer and that's where it advanced option to reset happened. 

Ahhh, okay. So it was probably looking for a driver. I had a similar issue with a manufacturer installed driver for a motherboard component after the last Win10 update. Win10 still reports a driver problem, but it works just fine. I think what you saw was what Schtearn calls the Light Blue Screen of Death. Basically the new, happier version of the BSOD. Usually triggered by a driver behaving badly.

Is your chair working now?

If not & this happens again, often you can boot into safe mode, which loads a minimum of drivers (and will probably exclude the one your chair is using). Then you can hunt the bastard down & kill it. Reboot normally & probably get back in. May want to check the manufacturers website for an updated driver & install it manually. (If it's not working now.)

Duh, I'm stupid, my dad was recalling looking for a driver. 

Eh, what's the point of it, my pair speakers for my actual computer barely works. So I gotta get some new ones anyway. It's working fine, so I'm not too worried about it. ^^ Right now I'm just scanning to see if I do have any corrupted files or not. 

Well, at least we may have this little mystery solved! :D

I doubt you'll find any file corruption. It was probably hung while trying to load that driver, and every time you rebooted it crashed when that driver got loaded. Reset got rid of the bad driver, and voila, you're back in business.  :)

Time to take some cold medicine & head off to bed. Have a good night!

Edited by RavenMind