• Announcements

• AndalayBay

SSL Installed   05/29/2018

Second IP obtained. The issues with IPv6 have also been fixed, but we can't switch to HTTPS until we switch forum software. We can't switch to HTTPS without a current license with IPS.
Sign in to follow this  
Amadaun

Ready Player One

Ready Player One is a (sorta) dystopian novel published in 2011 and is currently being made into a movie to be released this year.  Mostly because Stephen Spielberg and Warner Brothers want to capitalize on the surging popularity of 80s nostalgia that is sorta trendy due to IT, Guardians of the Galaxy, and especially Stranger Things.

Spoiler alert:  Ready Player One is nowhere near as good.  

When I was in 5th grade, one of my teachers told me that if nothing had happened by the time you hit page fifty in your book, just throw it in the trash and move on.  All my friends told me that this book was shit.

I should have listened. 

Brace yourselves to see a book that, as of page 50, has consisted of nothing more than a stereotypical Reddit bro ranting about fake geeks, scary women, bullies, organized religion, and being smarter than everyone else while still being unable to think up any kind of actual worldbuilding.

I like 80s nostalgia.  Especially Generation 1 Transformers toys, sealed in the box.  Expect to pay $500 + for one on eBay, unless you're lucky.  AFA graded Transformers go for thousands of U.S. dolla dolla bills, y'all.

Sadly, this book isn't as dignified as Transformers.  It's not even as dignified as collecting the 80s McDonalds Happy Meal toys.  I just read three pages of virtual reality dick-measuring via 80s videogame trivia.  That literally concludes with everyone applauding.

...help me.

On 1/23/2018 at 1:38 PM, Visceral Moonlight said:

I never realized that toy collecting got that serious. And I thought that the market for Magic The Gathering was serious. What you've got there is on a much higher level, it sounds like.

Big bucks.  Ever since the transformers movies came out the average price has tripled.   Man I wish I hadn't over-played with my old toys; or had bought 2--one to play with and one to save.  I saw a major collector post a large (not complete) collection of in-box Transformers: went for over $60,000.

Yeah I used to watch Pawn Stars and quite often someone would turn in some old toys. Even on Pawn Stars, they could fetch a pretty penny. I'm afraid I never thought of collecting toys either!

Yes, AB.  There was an episode of Pawn Stars with a guy that wanted to sell his Transformers collection.  The guys waaay underpriced him--$9000, I believe--so he turned them down.  Most of those weren't Mint In Sealed Box (MISB), but they were still worth tens of thousands of dollars.

I agree.  Good condition, new (i.e. sealed) Transformers are rare.  If you're bored one day go to ebay and search "Transformers G1"--accessories go for a couple bucks by themselves; a damn missile: $5.00.  You could buy a brand new toy in the 80's for 8, 9 bucks...

Damn.  That's a shame.  I found some deals yesterday for a couple transformers.  I may regret it, but I didn't take the plunge.  I can get luckier if I'm patient.