Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • AndalayBay

      SSL Installed   05/29/2018

      Second IP obtained. The issues with IPv6 have also been fixed, but we can't switch to HTTPS until we switch forum software. We can't switch to HTTPS without a current license with IPS.
Sign in to follow this  
AndalayBay

Sexism in Comics

Recommended Posts

Ah, yes, SuperMAN versus SuperGIRL. It's so fucking sexist, it's disgusting. Just think of the Australian Open a few years ago when the on-court presenter asked Eugenie Bouchard to twirl her skirt.

Yeah comics are like that, but SG is particularly annoying to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, there is a Superboy.  But he's either a Robin knock-off or literally the worst little brat.  Also, Superboy never had a romantic relationship with a horse

Oh, and there's also a Superwoman.  She's just an evil mirror universe version of Lois Lane.

Ditto my feelings about Batgirl.  There's a HUGE rant there about that one.  She's even worse than Supergirl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No kidding. I’ve never liked Wonder Woman either. Big tits and skimpy outfit. *sigh* The new one is supposed to cast her as being pretty strong, but she’s still wearing high heels and a fucking skirt. :mad:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In fairness to Wonder Woman, she is an Amazonian and their society is almost exclusively women (there are men but they're treated as slaves and as sperm producers).

I'm enjoying Supergirl myself. Granted, it's mostly for nostalgia but that still counts! I'd really enjoy a show based on Powergirl. I like Powergirl. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

Ah, yes, SuperMAN versus SuperGIRL. It's so fucking sexist, it's disgusting. Just think of the Australian Open a few years ago when the on-court presenter asked Eugenie Bouchard to twirl her skirt.

Yeah comics are like that, but SG is particularly annoying to me.

That's just absurd.

If you watched the series you'd know they dealt with this in the pilot. Kara specifically complains when Kat Grant dubs the new Superhero "Supergirl.

At the end of the day, "Supergirl" is just catchier than "Superwoman", whereas "Wonder Woman" works because it illiterates.

 

But fine, get hung up on the name if you want - I still say that's an absurd thing to do.

 

It's not like the male superheroes aren't absurd caricatures of masculinity, is it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Sigurd Stormhand said:

That's just absurd.

If you watched the series you'd know they dealt with this in the pilot. Kara specifically complains when Kat Grant dubs the new Superhero "Supergirl.

At the end of the day, "Supergirl" is just catchier than "Superwoman", whereas "Wonder Woman" works because it illiterates.

But fine, get hung up on the name if you want - I still say that's an absurd thing to do.

It's not like the male superheroes aren't absurd caricatures of masculinity, is it?

Yeah...pointing out how problematic it is doesn't make it any less problematic. 

And it's no more or less catchy than Spider-Woman.  The only difference between the character naming is that Supergirl debuted in the late fifties, and Spider-Woman debuted in the late 70s. 

Dude, if you want to get me started on the differences between the portrayal of men/women in comics, we're going to have to open a discussion thread.  Because I have RANTING.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2018 at 6:16 AM, Amadaun said:

Yeah...pointing out how problematic it is doesn't make it any less problematic. 

And it's no more or less catchy than Spider-Woman.  The only difference between the character naming is that Supergirl debuted in the late fifties, and Spider-Woman debuted in the late 70s. 

Dude, if you want to get me started on the differences between the portrayal of men/women in comics, we're going to have to open a discussion thread.  Because I have RANTING.

Its only problematic if you make it problematic. I know women our age who would prefer to be called "a girl" than "a woman", which is the point. In fact a straw-poll of my own friends would indicate a general preference for "girl", especially for unmarried women.

But - let's consider the differences in portrayal of men and women on the CW:

Supergirl is the only comic book series that doesn't objectify its characters.

Arrow gets Stephen Amnell naked and sweaty at every opportunity, or used to. The First thing Grant Gustin says when he wakes from his coma is "Lightnigh gave me abbs?" and don't even get me started on the Lesbian fanservice in LOT.

All that and Supergirl is the sinner for using a word you don't like? Despite being the only comic book property right now not focusing on its heroine's cleavage or butt, and playing it straight with its lesbian romance rather than using it for fanservice OR to make some big statement.

Sorry Ama, but I think you have your priorities backwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Legends of Tomorrow.

Sarah Lance - who was introduced as the original Black Canary and Olly's love interest on Green Arrow was originally bi-sexual but has been pretty much retconned n LoT to be a Lesbian now and she's sleeping her way across history.

The Salem Witches - the Queen of France - Guinevere - a sexually repressed nurse in the 1950's...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VM?  Could you move this to a discussion thread?

Also, noting that I haven't watched any of the new tv series, so I'm just talking about the comics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Amadaun said:

VM?  Could you move this to a discussion thread?

Also, noting that I haven't watched any of the new tv series, so I'm just talking about the comics.

I'm afraid we don't have much to talk about then - because I don't bother with most of the modern comics, I like Silver-Age pre-Crisis comics, which is why I like the TV shows. Leaving aside the more modern costumes the TV shows' characters owe more to the Silver Age than anything more recent.

I was originally responding to Andalay's refusal to watch Supergirl because the heroine has "girl" in her name by pointing out that the show doesn't so much lampshade this in the first episode as break the fourth wall and call viewers petty and small-minded if they get hung up on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm actually finding them all getting pretty stupid. I've got a whole bunch on the PVR that I haven't even bothered watching yet, including Arrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're live action comics - the whole premise is kinda silly.

How many of Arrow's problems could be solved by the Flash in 30 seconds? How often could the identity of the Flash's season-villain be uncovered in 60 seconds by Felicity Smoak?

 

To say nothing of the lengths they go to to avoid having Superman show up in Supergirl even when Supergirl is knocked out. That would be less of an issue if they hadn't significantly de-powered Mon-El though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×