• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
puddles

WIP Oblivion Mod Translations

Just making this ahead of my next release(s), so I have somewhere to put them all.

Upcoming:

An English translation for http://tesall.ru/files/file/7074-chernoknijnik/ that I'm working on with the mod's author.

The 4.4 English translation for http://tesall.ru/files/file/3880-dvemerskie-ruiny-arkshtrumc/ 

My Very Alpha English translation of http://tesall.ru/files/file/6786-dvemerskoe-iskusstvo-pustynya-alik-39-r/

• The immense amount of dialogue in this mod means that the initial release will have alot of...uh, Engrish that I still need to go through with a fine-tooth come; there's still roughly 500~ lines that are in Engrish, and maybe 100 of those are scarcely understandable. This has been an extremely tedious project I've been working on myself for almost a year, but the mod looks so amazing I've managed to keep trudging on.

Yeah, it's kind of dicey to try and balance making the dialogue make sense and trying to keep it as direct a translation as possible...for Arkstrumz, I could get away with kind of obscure techno-battle with the Dwemer Ghosts' dialogue / the book text...it was more getting the script boxes' ingredient / misc. requirements for crafting, etc. to be a perfect match to the actual items. Desert Alik'r has sooo much dialogue, though. 

...Haha, yeah, @AndalayBay, and those. .____. I've misspelled the Yokudan gods' names so many times...

Edited by puddles

Should I also say it’s “techno-babble”? *flees*

I don’t envy your task. I’ve helped people translate a couple of my mods and it’s not just dialogue, as you know. One thing I did with Oblivion XP to make it easier for translators is I switched to using a strings file. It requires MenuQue, but then it’s a just a single text file for people to translate.

There are certain nuances that just don't translate right between languages, either. There were a few times I had to spend a while going back-and-forth with Hedgehog12 over a certain sentence or even just term/phrase until we could figure out the best conversion to English from Russian.

Warlock translation is done, just waiting for Bella & Anderson to import my translations and upload the new .esp.

Might need to take someone up on that, there's a few things that are still boggling my mind with the dialogue.

Warlock has been translated. I won't be posting this one here atm, since the modder is still active and they decided to post the translation to Nexus for now. The other two I'll be uploading here, instead. Technically Arkshtrumz is translated, but there's these...psuedo quest update boxes, seperate from MessageBoxes that the mod uses to "fake" journal updates, even though the mod doesn't use the quest journal at all. The CSE "Script Message" export option doesn't export them, so I still need to track them down manually...

This is a Very Alpha edition of Desert Alik'r, I'm not even going to bother uploading it directly to the website yet:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Uv-9CQ0Oma9DhjNPrCBRyjeDJEq0AnpS/view?usp=sharing

Everything but the load screen text (I forgot those completely until I just tested it in-game) and books are translated to English ( however around 200 dialogue line are still in "Engrish". You can only start the main SL(s) and enter the Alikr worldspace normally by being Arch-Mage, sadly, however if people want to test the mod you can just type cow desertalikr 0 0 in the console. I...have no idea what to do about the books, sadly. Too many to translate. Some might just be Russian versions of books from other TES games, so maybe I can find the text elsewhere and import it...

Obviously, you need to download the meshes/textures/sounds from TESALL, otherwise the ESP will just be one giant Missing Mesh WTF?! marker. :D

Because this is a Very Alpha edition, I wouldn't save any valuable characters there, yet...

Edited by puddles

Tomorrow I'll be uploading my newest patch for both translations. Arkshtrumz is more-or-less complete, but there's a bizarre issue where sometimes the message/messageboxes contained inside a script retain their Cyrillic syntax despite being translated to English, so when viewed in the CSE script window it looks right...but in-game the words display as a garbled mess. Unfortunately, the only way to remedy this is to isolate which scripts are bugged and re-write them, so it'll require some beta-testing. Dwemer Art is in a playable state and surprisingly stable after I patched a few critical issues that can cause CTDs/bugs. There are some of the aforementioned bugged scripts, sadly...I've been playing through each quest, writing down any bugs/weird dialogue, and then going back and tweaking it to make sense (or be readable).

Awesome.  I would like to play some of those Russian mods.  There are some talented modders on that site.  Thanks for your efforts.

On 12/05/2018 at 4:48 PM, puddles said:

@bevilex I have! I just finished a full playthrough of it a couple days ago to confirm it was completeable / wouldn't break the game. I'll try to upload it this weekend.

Awesome, thanks!