• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
Visceral Moonlight

Star Trek Online

Posted (edited)

So I figured it was about time I started a proper thread for this after playing for about six weeks now.

The game is basically just that: it's Star Trek online as an MMO. Unlike many MMOs, it focuses a lot on the story side of things as opposed to just running around completing random quests (it does have those, however).

It is free-to-play with an optional subscription. Its free-to-play model, however, is one of the best out there in that the subscription really only gets you convenience features such as extra inventory slots, character slots, etcetera but a lot of the players go with a sub anyways as it helps to support the developers. It's community is relatively small for an MMO but it's got a strong one. For instance, we had a pretty detailed discussion of Lego sets in-game today.

The game also does microtransactions for a lot of the stuff you get with the subscription, which is nice for those that want to do things ala cart and as they need them (saves some money every month, too). They do sell other stuff like ships and extra companions but you can ignore the real money side of things for the most part (I do recommend buying the $5 Energy Credit storage boost if nothing else if you forgo a subscription) for two reasons: you can buy many of them from other players in the in-game exchange with in-game currency and they also tend to do giveaways every few months.

Here are more details on the F2P model: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/3026713#Free-to-Play Matrix

They regularly update the game and do so about once a week so they're still actively maintaining the game. It does have a few bugs but these are mostly minor annoyances such as some consumables being unequipped when you change a zone. Not too much of a problem once you become aware of them.

The game does have a guild system (they call them fleets) but I haven't gotten to exploring this side of the game yet (you need a total of five players to make one and I haven't gotten around to joining one).

If anyone does decide to join me (hey, these are better with friends!), I do have some tips: you'll want to save your energy credits up for the better shuttle when you get to that point and try and spend as little dilithium as you can (some of the giveaways are raffles and you can buy more raffle entries with dilithium, which is mostly important for very-late game gear so I recommend saving it up until you reach that point to maximize your raffle chances).

I also recommend doing the achievements as they provide bonuses such as extra damage and things.

I can craft a lot of basic gear if anyone needs me to outfit them (it takes forever to level up crafting but it's like that for everyone).

Main site is here: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online

It's a very fun game! :D

Edited by Visceral Moonlight

Another recommendation: you'll want to mix and match different item sets on your ship to give the best results. Some of them go rather well with each other. For instance: I have one set that increased my survivability and another that heals me as it does damage to enemy ships.

And next month they're running quite a few events for unique items. They also announced that the Dominion is going to be a playable faction when the next expansion comes out this Summer, which could be fun. They usually run limited time giveaways around the time they release the expansions. I signed up a few days after the previous one had ended (and a few days too late to complete the current event) so timing is everything. :P

Is that nebula or fairy floss or a giant ball of cotton teased out by the tidal forces of galactic motion?

Either way, looks terrific. :D

Posted (edited)

That's a nebula! The graphics are awesome! It's just an amazing game. :D

This weekend is First Contact Day and it's a bit weird but the reward is a special engine. That's notable as good engines are very hard to get in the game. Engines and warp cores are probably the highest demand items in the game, good ones are so hard to find.

Edit:

There is an annoying bug where your traits get reset on a ship change (especially annoying in the missions where you pilot a ship other than your own as you can't reassign them for that mission due to the combat restriction). Just something to stay on top of! Like I said: the bugs aren't too bad if you know they're there. :)

Edited by Visceral Moonlight