• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Linode Critical Maintenance   01/10/2018

Linode has announced our service slot for the patch for variants 1 and 2 of the Spectre vulnerability. The server will be rebooted at 2018-05-09 3:00:00 AM UTC.  I have updated the forum thread -  please see my post here.
Sign in to follow this  
Amadaun

#changethechannel

I get that this is kind of a tempest in a teapot for anyone who doesn't follow online video content creators, but is anyone else here a fan (former or current) of Channel Awesome/The Nostalgia Critic?  Have you seen what's going on?

Because I haven't seen an implosion of a website so fast and violent since Andalay and I left our former host sites.  And for much the same reasons.  YIKES.

14 hours ago, Amadaun said:

I get that this is kind of a tempest in a teapot for anyone who doesn't follow online video content creators, but is anyone else here a fan (former or current) of Channel Awesome/The Nostalgia Critic?  Have you seen what's going on?

Because I haven't seen an implosion of a website so fast and violent since Andalay and I left our former host sites.  And for much the same reasons.  YIKES.

Link? I’m familiar with him, but don’t watch him regularly.

And to be fair, the first site was already dead before we left. As far as I know, the second is still around. :P

20 hours ago, Amadaun said:

Because I haven't seen an implosion of a website so fast and violent since Andalay and I left our former host sites.

5 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

And to be fair, the first site was already dead before we left.

8 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

Link? I’m familiar with him, but don’t watch him regularly.

http://channelawesome.com/

There used to be several dozen producers on the site.  Now there's (maybe?) one.  And he only seems to be hanging on out of sheer bull-headedness and/or maybe as a joke?

Also, it turns out that one of my favorite producers was probably a rapist.

13 hours ago, Malonn said:

Where/what was your former site?  It crashed like blue ice falling out of an airplane lavatory?

I won't talk about the one that's still active, but the sites before that were Lucienlachance.com (the origins of DBC), thedarkbrotherhood.com (I was ill during that meltdown and missed it entirely), and finally Modcraft.com (where Andalay first joined and there are many horror stories.  Including the guy paying the site bills trying to get me to move in with him with the offer of a wholly fictional job opening.)

40 minutes ago, Amadaun said:

http://channelawesome.com/

There used to be several dozen producers on the site.  Now there's (maybe?) one.  And he only seems to be hanging on out of sheer bull-headedness and/or maybe as a joke?

Also, it turns out that one of my favorite producers was probably a rapist.

I won't talk about the one that's still active, but the sites before that were Lucienlachance.com (the origins of DBC), thedarkbrotherhood.com (I was ill during that meltdown and missed it entirely), and finally Modcraft.com (where Andalay first joined and there are many horror stories.  Including the guy paying the site bills trying to get me to move in with him with the offer of a wholly fictional job opening.)

I also hired a corporate lawyer to get the assholes to back off when they tried to claim DBC was the property of Modcraft. I’m afraid the lads weren’t aware of my favourite expression: “Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.” ;)

35 minutes ago, Amadaun said:

It sounds like the whole thing was run by a bunch of kids and the people who contributed didn’t consult a lawyer to understand what they needed in a contract. I doubt there were contracts at all.

If you’re contributing to something that involves money, get a lawyer to draw up a contract for you. It will cost you $3000, but you can claim that as an expense on your tax return and hopefully you’ll make that back in the long run. I don’t like lawyers, but I know from hard won experience, they are an evil necessity sometimes and contracts are one such time.

12 hours ago, Amadaun said:

Sounds like the guy has issues.  I don't understand some people.  What'd you end up telling him?

Here’s the definition. Basically the guys claimed they owned DBC because it was hosted on their site. They also claimed we stole materials from Modcraft. They started contacting other sites, like Nexus, telling them to ban us. The stupid idiot even claimed there was an active FBI investigation. :rofl: The same individual also claimed he was a millionaire and owned a strip club and expensive boats. The guy’s stories were incredible. He also claimed he sold the plans to a perpetual motion machine to Audi. Being a mechanical engineer, I almost pissed my pants laughing so hard. I posted a joke video on another fictitious machine and the poor idiot thought it was real. *sigh*

Other things this guy said to me:

- I'm  the owner of a multi-million dollar auto-detailing service that didn't have a website because "the celebrities knew where to go."
- Ditto for why it wasn't listed in the Yellow Pages.
- Why don't you trust me?
- Okay, I'll friend you on FB.
- Um...I know I'm listed as a weight trainer at some random gym, but...
- I'm a Marine!
- Why don't you listen to me, you bitch!

The most pathetic part was when I tried to warn the other admins and one flat-out admitted that he'd visited the city the guy claimed to have his multi-million business in, TWICE, and the guy had all sorts of excuses as to why they couldn't meet after all, but that wasn't suspicious...and how DARE I say such bad things about him?!  He's a good guy, you bitch!

Posted (edited)

Oh my god, modcraft was such a shit show. The amount of gymnastics I had to do to get that damn darkbrotherhood.com website in order was infuriating. They had this horrible theme that they bought that they insisted on me using but it was such a broken, ugly looking piece of shit that I would have had to be some kind of wizard to make it work. In the end I just rebuilt the entire site from the ground up because it was so bad. They also had some really questionable stuff stored on the server for the site that I won't specifically get into... Those people were a nightmare to work with. Not to mention that any time I needed to get something done I'd have to go track "him" down on the vent server and butt into whatever fucked up conversation they were having.

Then there was the whole part about me being threatened by Mr. Marine Moneybags when you guys were trying to split when I didn't even know what was going on.

I have more but before this becomes the Modcraft horror story thread, I'll leave it at that.

Edited by Vincent

I liked that for calling him Mr. Marine Moneybags. Perfect! :rofl:

He’s one of the two that got the lawyer’s letter. :D

Anyway the point is that there are just some personalties who aren’t equipped to run community sites. When turmoil does occur, they take it too personally and think it’s an attack on them. That’s a common thread in all this and I think the same thing has happened to Channel Awesome. If the guy that’s left is the one that produces all the cool content, then he can stay but will have to work alone. If he’s not, then the whole thing will shut down.

Posted (edited)

This dude sounds like a real piece of work.  You never know who you'll run into out in the world.  Or in the digital world.

He sounds line he may have had (has) issues with lying.

Edited by Malonn

Yeah he had made up a really complex life for himself. When we found out the truth, we were amazed at the stuff he had constructed. The real problem for us is how he responded when someone came along and threatened his fantasy. For us as forum members, we had to retreat to only talking in private messages because he was continually interfering and trying to belittle us. He was obviously feeling very threatened. Then we got some indications that our messages were being monitored as well and that’s when I said I was leaving.

Posted (edited)

If he was reading private conversations that really makes me question why I got a threatining PM from him. He thought I was involved in some conspiracy to steal intellectual property from modcraft and threatened legal action against me even though I hadn't been involved in the DBC team management for some time at that point. Dude was crazy I guess.

Edited by Vincent
Autocorrect

Posted (edited)

We got some messages from him that confirmed he was reading private messages. If I recall things correctly, he thought you were an ally and was annoyed when you didn’t help, so that might have been the source of the threats. He honestly didn’t understand who was involved with the project and who wasn’t, or what their places were. There were a few people who he considered “allies” and I got some very confused messages from people when all the shit went down. He was also seriously paranoid. He misinterpreted a lot of stuff and took our discussion as a plot against him when it had nothing to do with him at all.

Edited by AndalayBay
Fixed my grammar!

Sign in to follow this