• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
Daggerfall Dev

(Discussion) Are Open Cities practical for Province mods?

Posted (edited)

My 3am Thoughts :P                      

Should the Cities of Hammerfell or Any Future Province Mod have "Open-Cities"? I've been reading alot on the Beyond Skyrim forums and came across that it may actually be beneficial in the long term, Seeing that most Province mods are still in Development and most likely by the time they're released TES 6 would be announced :X. My only concern are Scripts and NPC but how much does it take to Crash Skyrim especially the 64bit version, would SKSE with a the Memory Patch be reasonable to use to prevent crashes. Here is the Forum from Beyond Skyrim have a quick read and have the Argument here :amafiarun: I'm curious to see what people think!

Edited by Daggerfall Dev

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the cell loading helps to negate the performance hits of open cities. Of course, Arthmoor or someone like that would know more than me as I wasn't around when this discussion originally took place years ago. :)

Yes, that’s correct, provided you don’t change GridstoLoad. Keep it at 5 and open cities aren’t any more of a hit than closed ones.

Posted (edited)

I'm making the Cities in Hammerfell R open, I notice almost no performance hit, Then again everything is pretty much low poly comparing to Skyrim Models, haha :o

But those scripts I wonder how many it takes to crash a game?

Edited by Daggerfall Dev

If you're talking about Skyrim, for SSE you won't notice any real difference at all between open and closed cities. The 64 bit engine provides all of the memory you'll need, and they'll even work on XB1 if you can manage to get the over all download size of the mod to fit within their space restrictions.

For LE, you'll need the SKSE memory patch active. Once that's in place you should be fine. Original Skyrim's memory allocation system was designed to work on PS3 and was never properly adjusted for either the 360 or PC for whatever reason.

On Oblivion, it's always been urban myth that open cities of any sort cause problems with performance. Usually people are either bumping up uGridstoLoad (bad idea, performance fail all over the game) or overtaxing the engine by trying to use 2K textures on everything. The mod has always been a scapegoat for problems it's not responsible for. I honestly have no idea why I kept at it, but I did :P

On 2018-04-21 at 9:10 PM, Arthmoor said:

I honestly have no idea why I kept at it, but I did :P

I am glad you did that. :D

I enjoy it in every game I started for both Oblivion and Skyrim (SLE and SSE).