• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
puddles

[RELz] Dwemer Art: Desert Alik'r

Dwemer Art: Desert Alik'r

View File

This is a translation of the brilliant Dwemer Art: Desert Alik'r mod by Usher7r and his team, which brings to Oblivion the Alik'r Desert of Hammerfell in all its glory. Due to Usher7r's abrupt disappearance (from which I hope he'll return soon!), there's a few unaddressed glitches (such as scorpion/snake venom causing messages to stop appearing on the top left if you or any Actors in the cell have it), which I attempted to rectify by adding a dialogue to give poisoned actors an antidote if you have it in your inventory. With that indirectly remedied, I can personally say -- as I played through both of its main quests and visited almost every dungeon -- that the mod is quite stable, although expect a bit of lag in Alik'ra due to its sprawling size. This .esp obviously won't work without downloading the original mod from:

http://tesall.ru/files/file/6786-dvemerskoe-iskusstvo-pustynya-alik-39-r/

Accessing the mod's contents currently requires being Arch-Mage of Cyrodiil to initiate the series of events that will lead you there, but it's possible to access the worldspace via cow on the console, and you'll be able to play everything but the quests that directly reference you as Arch-Mage...probably. There's bound to be some incomplete/crude translations of dialogue left that I missed, so please report such instances to me and I'll try to fix them in my next update. Certain books -- specifically ones from Skyrim -- are intentionally untranslated because I either lack the books, or it's a foreign "fan fiction" that's too in-depth for my to translate.

I have an HGEC/RM patch for the mod's clothing and armor available, as well as an OCO2 patch for its races, if people are interested in it. If someone requests either I'll upload them, but it's a bit more complicated than just uploading an .esp.

I claim no credit for this mod beyond the 100+ man hours put into translating it to English. Please refer to the link above for full credits.

Thanks for the hard work. 100+ hours is a lot to bring a mod to English, and even more work to produce other patches.
I would definitely be interested in your OCO/items patches.

The hardest part was the dialogue, because the mod made judicious use of Yokudan terminology translated to a mixture of Cyrillic and direct Russian: translating it back produced...a lot of confusion. Usher7r's team also put a lot of effort into giving even "nobody" NPCs their own unique dialogue, so that made for some tediousness. I'll try to get the patches online this weekend. Once I finish my own playthrough of Arkshtrumz to confirm nothing is broken/unplayable, I'll also be uploading that.

I would also be interested by the HGEC/RM/OCOv2 patches.

Thank you for what you've done for the community!

Thank you for the patches.

Just did the first dungeon, I really liked it. However I saw some russian characters in the menu which allows you to change your race, birthsign etc - when you activate the dwemer structure in the beginning.

Hrm...I'll need to double-check that script, thanks. There's an issue I've run into with converting scripts where even though the characters have been translated, the line the Russian text was in is still compiled as Cyrillic...so while it looks fine in the script editor, in-game it's weird buggy text. It's not hard to fix, just hard to find all the spots to fix.

I like to use a text editor for my scripts. I just copy all the text in after editing in the external editor. Perhaps that would fix up the character set properly.

Yeah, that's what I've had to do. Paste the script into a text-only editor and find the text that gets Cyrillic-garbled so I can fix it, then paste it back into the script window.

Posted (edited)

Hey puddles, I'm excited to try this. You mention that it's possible to cow into Alik'r world; how does one do that, i.e. what's the worldspace id?

PS, in the interest of saving space, what would happen if I deleted the Voice folder from the mod, presuming I have Silent Voice installed? How about the Video folder? I don't think I'd miss the Russian voices.

Edited by 1Mac

Posted (edited)

A few notes for those who never played this mod:

- I noticed in some places that the distant landscape was not right, so I think it's worth giving a shot of tes4ll for the new big worldspace.

- Be carefull when using TesLODgen. The desert is full of distant objects (which are, I think, mainly responsible for the drops) and TesLODgen will add even more of them, which may result in addtional drops. I don't suggest using this programm after having installed the meshes and .esp 

- There is a 'small' incompatbility between Katkat74 Horses replacer and the horses in this mod. I don't remember the name of the horse sorry, but the models need to be changed or Katkat's mod uninstalled.

I haven't played a lot the mod as I am slowly rebuilding my setup, but huge thanks to Puddles for the translation, I am looking forward to Arkshtrumz  :)

Edited by bevilex

On 5/24/2018 at 1:05 PM, 1Mac said:

Hey puddles, I'm excited to try this. You mention that it's possible to cow into Alik'r world; how does one do that, i.e. what's the worldspace id?

PS, in the interest of saving space, what would happen if I deleted the Voice folder from the mod, presuming I have Silent Voice installed? How about the Video folder? I don't think I'd miss the Russian voices.

DesertAlikR "Alik'r" [WRLD:00D910D1] is the main worldspace.

You should be able to delete everything safely, I can't think of how it would affect anything.

On 5/25/2018 at 10:36 AM, bevilex said:

A few notes for those who never played this mod:

- I noticed in some places that the distant landscape was not right, so I think it's worth giving a shot of tes4ll for the new big worldspace.

- Be carefull when using TesLODgen. The desert is full of distant objects (which are, I think, mainly responsible for the drops) and TesLODgen will add even more of them, which may result in addtional drops. I don't suggest using this programm after having installed the meshes and .esp 

- There is a 'small' incompatbility between Katkat74 Horses replacer and the horses in this mod. I don't remember the name of the horse sorry, but the models need to be changed or Katkat's mod uninstalled.

I haven't played a lot the mod as I am slowly rebuilding my setup, but huge thanks to Puddles for the translation, I am looking forward to Arkshtrumz  :)

1. Yeah, there are some weird "blurry clipping spots" in the distance with the mountains that I can't find the source of. It's weird, but I just pass it off as a heat haze/mirage in the distance.

2. At some point I might try to make low-poly _far.nif files for the largest architecture, etc. that can be seen from a distance. You're right that some of the mod's meshes are high-poly and can slow FPS. Especially when they get used as LOD...

3. There's 1 more bug I need to iron out of Arkshtrumz before I can upload it. I just keep getting distracted by other projects, haha...Akavir Legends is my next project, I think.