• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
Vorians

Gaming monitors: 4k TV or UWQHD monitor?

I'm looking for people's opinions on which is probably the more enjoyable choice of monitor for gaming. I've already read a few articles dedicated to 4k vs ultrawide monitors, but what do people here think? Perhaps some of you already use one or other for gaming.

Forget the price of the monitors. Forget the need for certain computer specs to smoothly use a 4k - just assume that those concerns aren't a concern and think about the usage of these two types of screen. Not interested in what competitive players need like the highest framerates above everything else or whatever it is they look for in a screen.

On the one hand, a 4k 55" LED TV with a resolution of 3840x2160.

On the other hand, a widescreen 35" curved LED monitor with a resolution of 3440x1440 with G Sync or Free Sync (assume compatible graphics card whichever). Like this one, perhaps.

Which do you think would be more enjoyable for playing games? RPGs, ARPGs, FPPs, dungeon simulations, occasionally RTSs, turn-based games, those types of genres are what I tend to play the most.

I'd take the monitor, personally. They're better optimized for viewing close up and you don't need to worry about overscan correction and stuff that's a byproduct of adjusting for film. That said, a 4k monitor would also work. I'm just not a fan of using a television for the main computer screen, more of a backup. :)

I second VM.  There is more to a dedicated computer monitor than just resolution.  For one, G-Sync/Freesync.  I run a G-Sync monitor and the smoothness and response really is noticeable.  It won't make you have an orgasm, but it improves the experience.

I also recommend sticking with a monitor for computers. I've played games on my plasma HD TV and the result really wasn't all that great. For one thing, I like to sit about 15" from the screen and you really can't do that with a TV, even a plasma or OLED.

+3 for the UWQHD monitor so far, poor 4k tv! Does anyone know what the ultrawide monitor would do if displaying an ultralow resolution like 800x600 or even 640x480, can it handle it (presumably centring the display with black bands filling most of the sides)? I sometimes replay old games.

That has been one of my major frustrations. I was never able to get an LED monitor to behave as I wanted. The LED’s I have really aren’t capable of showing lower resolutions. I was able to get a 20”  CRT for free and I use that for my low resolution games. I suggest checking the monitor specs to make sure it can display low resolutions and do so without scaling.

5 hours ago, Vorians said:

+3 for the UWQHD monitor so far, poor 4k tv! Does anyone know what the ultrawide monitor would do if displaying an ultralow resolution like 800x600 or even 640x480, can it handle it (presumably centring the display with black bands filling most of the sides)? I sometimes replay old games.

That would depend on your settings. Most video cards let you change the scaling settings these days (stretched, preserve, etc). :)

11 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

That has been one of my major frustrations. I was never able to get an LED monitor to behave as I wanted. The LED’s I have really aren’t capable of showing lower resolutions. I was able to get a 20”  CRT for free and I use that for my low resolution games. I suggest checking the monitor specs to make sure it can display low resolutions and do so without scaling.

I can't find that info, specs only state its resolution and maximum resolution, I looked up three different monitors of this type, none list possible resolutions.

Most of them automatically scale up low resolutions, which make games like Arena even worse. If I managed to get the monitor to stop scaling, then it would would display the content in a tiny box in the middle of the screen. I even have a tiny Benq monitor (I think it’s 15”) that only had a max resolution of 1024x768 and even that didn’t work! Hence getting the CRT.

My desktop monitors are 24” and they can go as low as 800x600. That’s not in the manual - that’s the Windows screen resolution setting.

I suggest searching online for the monitor you’re interested in and see if you can find the technical specifications somewhere. VM is partially correct - it does depend on the video card as well, but it also depends on the capabilities of your monitor.

Found it. :D For that display you linked above, the users guide has a picture of the settings for Windows 8. In that picture, it lists 1024x768 as the minimum resolution. Oddly enough it also shows the maximum resolution as 1920x1080. I have no idea what’s up with that. Big monitors like that have a problem going too low, so I recommend keeping an old monitor on hand for when you want to play an old game.

Thanks, but those are just generic screenshots they'll use in every user guide for their entire range, just intended as an example of what you will see in Windows. If I get an UWQHD rather than 4ktv I'll still have an old monitor like you suggest, so as you say I can resort to that if the bigger screen gets grumpy about being underutilised!

I just found an article that said the minimum resolution for Windows 10 is 800x600 so it sounds like you'll need an old operating system to go with those old games. :P

Big monitors do have a limit to how much they can scale down though.

Posted (edited)

I would just run those in a window instead of fullscreen, myself. :)

It's not ideal but low resolutions don't usually stretch well too much above 19 inch diameter for close sitting or 32 inches for distance (things tend to look strange and the artifacts are more visible).

Do you have some that aren't DOS games but below 800x600 resolution?

Edited by Visceral Moonlight

13 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

I just found an article that said the minimum resolution for Windows 10 is 800x600 so it sounds like you'll need an old operating system to go with those old games. :P

Big monitors do have a limit to how much they can scale down though.

8 hours ago, Visceral Moonlight said:

It's not ideal but low resolutions don't usually stretch well too much above 19 inch diameter for close sitting or 32 inches for distance (things tend to look strange and the artifacts are more visible).

What's wrong with PrgLnch?

13 hours ago, Visceral Moonlight said:

Very likely as I have a lot of old games on GOG, but then whether I'd ever get around to playing them is another matter.

4 hours ago, Schtearn said:

What's wrong with PrgLnch?

I don't know, what's wrong with PrgLnch?

Looks like favour here goes entirely toward the UWQHD, which is the same as on the comparison sites I'd viewed previously. It's also the choice I'd been aiming toward myself until a friend said that a 4k tv was fine and perfectly smooth to play on. Since I already own the 4k tv, I can always switch to using it for any games I feel like playing there instead of on a UWQHD.

There is, if it can't run a game at a specified res. From the help:

Can PrgLnch forms be postioned of the currently used (default) display?
Possible if target resolutions are less than 1024 pixels wide. A hotkey combination (CTRL-ALT-P) should bring the window to the location of the mouse. Another edge case is if when the screen height is less than 600 pixels, PrgLnch Properties may clip off the top edge of the display.

However, lots of games specify their own modes- e.g. Dr Sulphur, so PrgLnch is about as useful as a marzipan d*ldo. :P