• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
AndalayBay

Linode Increases Resources on all Plans

Our Linode has just gotten bigger! Linode has increased the disk size for all their plans. I’m actually looking at downsizing to reduce the costs because I really can’t afford the expense anymore and this will make it easier.

Sounds good, when the same deal is available for less. :)

From what I've seen, Linode is very good, so I guess you won't be changing providers there.

How much do you plan to save on, and what's the trade-off in downsizing? At the user end, do we lose any of the the functionality in forum S/W or will things get a little slow on the response? Quite happy if we are only talking milliseconds increase in response times. :P

Yeah, that’s the tough question. I’m going to get rid of GitLab since it’s a real pig resource-wise. GitLab requires Ruby and that needs lots of memory, so once GitLab is gone, I should be able to downsize without a performance impact. As it is, I don’t think we’re maxing out on memory usage, so we should be good. I have some performance monitoring tools that I’ll use to see where we’re at. I think I can downgrade without any performance impact though.

This is why I love Linode so much. I was just thinking about a space upgrade the other day, and bam, there it is. For free. For like the 4th time since I've been with them. They even boosted the transfer quotas by another 1TB. Not that I've ever come close to that even once, but it's always nice to know you have a ginormous ceiling on that.

Gotta love competition though. Other providers are offering more and Linode is matching them. No complaints here - switching hosts would be a major pita. :P

54 minutes ago, AndalayBay said:

I’m going to get rid of GitLab since it’s a real pig resource-wise.

Would this affect the choice of forum software?