• Announcements

• AndalayBay

SSL Installed   05/29/2018

Second IP obtained. The issues with IPv6 have also been fixed, but we can't switch to HTTPS until we switch forum software. We can't switch to HTTPS without a current license with IPS.
Sign in to follow this  
AndalayBay

NAFTA - The Battle Begins

I spelt it wrong - it's Tilley. Oh, and they do (have a pocket for your maple syrup). :rofl: The part I really like is that the pants have really deep pockets with a secret pocket for your wallet.

Did you know at the end of the last ice age Canada was covered in two miles of ice?  Waay off topic, but it's in my head as I write this.

Yep. When the glaciers receded, they carved out the Canadian shield. They also carved out the hills we call “mountains” in Ontario. Blue Mountain is ski resort that has a whopping 700 ft vertical. :lmao:

Yeah it takes longer to get to the top than to ski down, so you never warm up. Us Canucks are tough! At least we can breathe though. I'd pass out where you live. :P

Ah, but more and more geologists are turning to the cataclysm theory that ended the last ice age.  It actually warms up, then there is a sudden refreeze for about 1500 years, followed by rapid warming.  Apparently a massive comet struck the Earth about 14, 000 years ago which caused a refreeze at the geological point known as the Younger-Dryas.  Ash and ejecta cooled down the atmosphere and sent Earth into a deeper freeze, when about 1500 years later, or 12, 500 years ago, fragments from the same comet struck again in the North American Ice cap causing rapid melting and flooding.  It's the source of the flood myths you hear about in most ancient cultures around the world, i.e. Noah's Ark.  If you're ever interested in a good read, cherck out Magicians of the Gods by Graham Hancock.  The guy's a scholar.

On 6/18/2018 at 12:41 AM, AndalayBay said:

Yeah it takes longer to get to the top than to ski down, so you never warm up. Us Canucks are tough! At least we can breathe though. I'd pass out where you live. :P

You flatlanders and your not growing up at 10k above sea level and your "required levels of oxygen for sufficient bodily functions" - pfft.  Here we grow extra red blood cells and celebrate our inevitable brain damage from lack of air!  It's not a mountain party until there's a corpse preserved in dry ice!

23 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

No offence taken. No worries. Although Justin seems to be finally growing up.

Is he?  He isn't in the news the way he used to be, so yeah, maybe so.

We can't say the same for Trump.  I mean in the news for stupid shit.

Yeah apparently he's not behaving like an ass anymore or not as much anyway. He was in Kitchener recently shooting hoops at a gaming arcade and when fans noticed him, he posed with them for pictures and signed autographs. Apparently he's found religion.

Meanwhile, the front cover of this week's Economist said "Kim Jong Won".

Basically. There was nothing in Trump's agreement about time-frame and verification. Kim gets the sanctions lifted and he can continue building nukes. He also got the States to stop their war exercises with South Korea. That will save you guys a ton of money. Trump got played for a fool.

He's an idiot.  Now he has these tariffs on Chinese metal or something.  It's good in the sense it tries to keep metal industry jobs here, but a tariff?  Tariffs are bad.  Now China responds by taxing soy beans--our cash crop numnero uno.  So farmers are hurt.  Trump messes up again.

You guys wouldn’t be importing steel from China if you could afford your own. Chinese workers will work for $2/hr. Workers on an automobile assembly line make $60/hr and have generous pension funds to boot. How do I know this? My dad worked for General Motors in Oshawa for 30+ years. He tried to get me a summer job there when I was in university. At one time, GM even covered their employee’s funerals, but they had to stop that a few years before he died.

Even minimum wage, which only restaurant workers and the like make, is at least 5 times as much as Chinese workers. Trump is not going to win a trade war with China.

Oh cool.  Neat tidbit there, AB.  I knew working at a car factory was a good job to have in the U.S., just not how good.

My rates are Cdn dollars, but it's still ridiculous. That's why GM and other American car companies have moved production to China and Mexico. Both countries will work for much less. When North Americans bought American cars, the unions just kept upping peoples' wages with strikes. The car companies have tried to renegotiate the contracts, but the unions wouldn't budge, so they just shut down plants and moved production. Did you know that Detroit was bankrupt? The city, not GM. Here's a wiki article about it. I don't think they've recovered. States like Michigan will be hurt very badly by Trump's trade war.

Oh, and Harley Davidson is going to move some of their production to Europe to get around the tariffs. And as usual, Trump's squawking is wrong. Harley will continue to produce bikes for the American market in America. They moved part of their production to Asia several years ago when the US failed to negotiate a free trade agreement with China. So all of Harley's moves are due to the US's anti-trade policies. Other companies will follow suit as that's the only way to respond to these tactics.

There are some folks in the auto sector here that are really upset because they will get screwed over twice if tariffs go on auto stuff. It turns out that we manufacture a lot of parts and sub-assemblies. We ship the sub-assemblies down to the States where American auto workers add more stuff, then they ship the stuff back where we finish building the car, then we ship the completed car down to the States.

Specifically, in the RV industry, we ship the steel and aluminum to the States, American workers build part of the vehicle and ship it back to us. We finish it and would send it back.

This is what Trump doesn’t understand. We’ve always had this back and forth. We had the Auto Pact of 1965 which was eventually replaced by NAFTA. In the 1960’s, Canada had a $600 million trade deficit with the US. Here’s a wiki article that sums it up quite nicely. If I read that article correctly, we still have a trade deficit with the US in the automotive sector. The Auto Pact really restricted what we could build and we couldn’t trade internationally. I’m not sure where things stand now.

Sign in to follow this