• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
puddles

“Copying” Landscape Vertex Color?

I’m working on a laborious compatibly patch between TWMP_ElsweyrValenwood & Valenwood Improved (for use with Elsewyr Pelletine), and — in addition to just being tedious and frustrating — I’m really exasperated with the Landscape Vertex Painting in the TWMP .esp. it uses a custom green/brown mixture to get the loamy “jungle color” for the terrain, and I spent over an hour trying to get even a close match to it so I could start blending the border to remove the readily apparent color divide to no avail. Is there a way to copy (or just determine the color code #s) of a preexisting landscape color? I had a thought that the #s could be found via TES4Edit, but I don’t know where I would look.

Any ideas?

CTRL+Right-click on the terrain you want to copy. It will set the texture to the one you right-clicked on. See this section on the CS wiki.

There's also a mod called Landscaper's Little Helper that displays samples of the different landscape textures. It might help. I think it's available on TES Alliance.

Unfortunately the ctrl+right thing doesn't seem to copy the vertex paint color, just the terrain texture itself. I'll need to check that Landscaper's Little Helper mod.

That’s odd. We have custom textures in Black Marsh and the copy thing worked. I don’t think LLH will help in this case. I’ll take a look a bit later. I do remember something about tweaking the colours, but I’ll need to take a look to refresh my memory.

If you're using the CSE, you should be able to see the landscape textures that were used. The CSE highlights the changes made by a mod. The vertex colours are usually used to add a shadow - they aren't used to colour a texture. The vertex colours are usually various shades of grey/black. Load up one of the border cells and open the landscape editor. That will list the textures. You can find the textures in Data\textures\landscape. They might be in a subdirectory under that path.

One way to see if they used vertex colours would be to create a small test world, do the landscape texturing with vertex colours and see what you get when you CTRL+right-click to copy the texture. I have used vertex colours in the past, but I can't remember what happens when you copy the texture. I just checked Black Marsh and it looks like we just used custom textures and not vertex colours.

You can view the vertex colours in TES4Edit by expanding Worldspace - Worldspace name like BlackMarshes - Block - Sub-block - form ID - Temporary - form ID Landscape. The vertex colours would be listed in the VCLR record in the right pane.

Vertex shading is a separate layer to the textures, ctrl+right click only works for texturing.

Vertex shading can be any colour, they add a fake shading effect and typically this is various shades from black through white, however it can be any colour at all.

If you can make sense of the data, then probably viewing the LAND record in TES4Edit will help - you'll need to turn off Simple Records from the Options screen in xEdit first, then restart the program. Personally, I do not have a clue how the subrecord VCLR in each LAND record translates into colour, opacity and XY coordinate placement, but somehow it does.

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Tes4Mod:Mod_File_Format/LAND#VCLR_subrecord_.283267_bytes.29

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the insight, @AndalayBay & @Vorians

Now, my next issue...I can't for the life of me get TES4Edit to filter-in just Visble When Distant TREE records, since I need to wipe them out of this Valenwood Improved derivative since TWMP_Valenwood_Elsweyr already has more than enough trees....or if one of the Scripts can prune out all the trees by editorID.

Edit: nvm, think I figured it out. "Remove a percentage amount of references of specific object" set to 100% does it.

Edited by puddles

Not to derail the thread, but I'd just like to say I'm excited for this project! If you put up a WIP thread, I have some questions I'd like to ask. Or I could PM.

Posted (edited)

@1Mac

On 6/26/2018 at 6:47 PM, 1Mac said:

Not to derail the thread, but I'd just like to say I'm excited for this project! If you put up a WIP thread, I have some questions I'd like to ask. Or I could PM.

On 6/26/2018 at 9:01 PM, AndalayBay said:

@puddles, you could create a thread in this forum if you like.

Edited by puddles