Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • AndalayBay

      Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

      I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
Leonardo

I am okay, but it's too damn hot in Sweden right now.

Recommended Posts

I just wanted to let you guys know that I am okay, but this Monday morning I was feeling ill (I almost throw up) due to the extreme heat and right now (it is 03:05 AM local time) the thermometer shows +20 degrees Celsius.

https://www.smhi.se/en/weather/sweden-weather/warnings#ws=wpt-a,proxy=wpt-a,district=023,page=wpt-warning-alla (Österlen is the Eastern part of the county Skåne)

Which means in wheather terms it is a tropical night and July 2018 is hottiest July for over 260 years!

https://www.smhi.se/en/research/research-news/heatwave-in-may-2018-it-was-unusually-warm-exceptional-even-1.137300

Sweden also have major wildfires on several locations at the moment.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/18/europe/sweden-wildfires-intl/index.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to hear you’re ok Leo. We heard there was a heat wave in Sweden too. Yes, it made news here. We’ve had a heat wave in Toronto too. It’s been so bad in Montreal that people have died. The temperatures have been in the 30’s for several weeks now, with a humidex as high as 47C!!! It’s been fucking crazy. We have air conditioning and I don’t go outside during the day. Like you Leo, I suffer from heat prostration and I get quite ill in the heat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I move to Sweden?  We're about the same temperature, but at least you don't have 100k acre fires!

...sorry, I don't mean to make fun.  Wildfires are terrifying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Sweden hit the 30’s too, if not the 40’s with the humidex. I suspect they don’t have air conditioners, so there’s nowhere for people to go. In Toronto, we open malls and government buildings so those without A/C can cool off. We call them cooling centres and Montreal doesn’t have any, so that’s why people died. Montreal is north of Toronto, so they’re not prepared for the hot weather, just like Sweden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Balls-ass hot summer for some people.  Here in my part of the states (I live in 'ol Virginia) it's more pleasant as far as temperature goes; 75°F or about 24°C.  Of course there is a storm system moving through, so we have flash flood warnings out...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

Glad to hear you’re ok Leo. We heard there was a heat wave in Sweden too. Yes, it made news here. We’ve had a heat wave in Toronto too. It’s been so bad in Montreal that people have died. The temperatures have been in the 30’s for several weeks now, with a humidex as high as 47C!!! It’s been fucking crazy. We have air conditioning and I don’t go outside during the day. Like you Leo, I suffer from heat prostration and I get quite ill in the heat.

Thanks for your concern.

We in Sweden are lucky since nobody have died due to the wildfires, not that I am aware of.  Several weeks?  Man, in Sweden we've had the heat for about 3 months now and still there is no cooler wheather in sight.

The other day a spokeman for MSB said to the news that they have already given up to one or two wildfires and now only focus to restrict the wildfire not to spread any further.  There are several villages that have been evacuated.

7 hours ago, Amadaun said:

Can I move to Sweden?  We're about the same temperature, but at least you don't have 100k acre fires!

...sorry, I don't mean to make fun.  Wildfires are terrifying.

Of course you can, but one should read this before visiting Sweden the first time.

6 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

I think Sweden hit the 30’s too, if not the 40’s with the humidex. I suspect they don’t have air conditioners, so there’s nowhere for people to go. In Toronto, we open malls and government buildings so those without A/C can cool off. We call them cooling centres and Montreal doesn’t have any, so that’s why people died. Montreal is north of Toronto, so they’re not prepared for the hot weather, just like Sweden.

Excuse me?  We do have air conditioners, it is just no one can buy a AC right now due for already being sold out.   In fact, every mall has a AC and there are some stores that has iceboxes, because anyone I know of likes ice cream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Leonardo said:

Excuse me?  We do have air conditioners, it is just no one can buy a AC right now due for already being sold out.   In fact, every mall has a AC and there are some stores that has iceboxes, because anyone I know of likes ice cream.

Then it sounds like you guys have more than we have here. We have central heating/air conditioning, so we are all set, but a lot of apartment buildings don't have A/C and the residents AREN'T ALLOWED to install window units. I think it's even worse in Montreal. A lot of Canada still has the mentality that it doesn't get hot enough here to warrant A/C. You used to have to pay extra to get A/C in your car and it's fairly recent that that changed.

There are forest fires in BC, again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Leonardo said:

Of course you can, but one should read this before visiting Sweden the first time.

I'm fine with all that except that fermented fish thing.  That makes me nervous.  :beerchug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Amadaun said:

I'm fine with all that except that fermented fish thing. 

Regarding the fermented fish, I tell can you one thing and that's the smell this fish has.  Which most people like to eat and the event are soon to happen in late July or in early August I think.  I don't stand that smell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Because of the strong smell, surströmming is ordinarily eaten outdoors. The pressurized can is usually opened some distance away from the dining table, and is often initially punctured while immersed in a bucket of water, which prevents brine from spraying onto clothes and traps most of the smell."

O.O NOPE  nopenopenope NOPE  AIGH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now you know why I can't stand the smell. :P

Anyway, back to topic.

Today is it a little cooler and around half past eight this evening I felt a cool breeze from the balcony, so I went out there and soon I felt cool wind that was really refresing.  Just before I login here I checked the thermometer and it had dropped from 28-29 degrees Celius (was the temperature the whole day) to 25 degrees Celsius and now it feels much cooler, but I doubt I can get much sleep this night as I hadn't got the previous two nights in a row.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have a ceiling fan? We have one in each bedroom upstairs and they make a huge difference. On high speed, they make the room feel about 3C cooler and we sleep quite comfortably.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, don't I have a ceiling fan.  But I do have a portable fan (+15 years old) and that's better than nothing I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good news for a change.

Later today, we in Southern Sweden are going to get more cooler wheather with rain, not much though, and thunder.  I do hope that this time the air is totally cleared up, I mean anyone wants to sleep without using a AC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2018 at 9:00 AM, Amadaun said:

"Because of the strong smell, surströmming is ordinarily eaten outdoors. The pressurized can is usually opened some distance away from the dining table, and is often initially punctured while immersed in a bucket of water, which prevents brine from spraying onto clothes and traps most of the smell."

O.O NOPE  nopenopenope NOPE  AIGH

It's not the ONLY way to eat Herring.

 

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/food-beverages/fish-seafood/

 

Om nom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FINALLY!!! :happy:

It is RAINING and after a minute or two I heard thunder, which lasted for 30-45 minutes and still it's raining.  This famous video clip comes to mind, just to describe how awesome it feels right now. :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know the saying “it never rains, it pours”? Well that’s what happened here. We had serious flooding in Toronto on Tuesday. It’s the same thing that happened in 2013. Basically we get so much rain that the storm sewers overflow into the waste sewers and the system backs up, causing floods in peoples’ homes. After the flooding in 2013, which destroyed our basement and prompted the major house renovations, we had a backup valve installed on the sewer line running from our house. That saved our asses on Tuesday. Our neighbours had their basements flooded again, but we didn’t have a drop. We have newborn kittens in the basement, so it would have been disastrous. One of our neighbours has a backup valve, but I guess it didn’t work.

Meanwhile they are fighting forest fires in northern Ontario...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The forest fires are mostly contained here in Colorado, though it's basically DOOM out in California.  

We're down to only moderate fire danger here and back to a stage 1 fire ban, thanks to the monsoon season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×