• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
1Mac

Help with enabling AWLS lights

I'm working on updating an old mod to be compatible with AWLS, among other things. The IllumAnimation tool seems to be running as it should, but all I'm getting is a vague sort of white glow. Obviously there's something that I'm not getting; I'm guessing it has something to do with emissive color settings. It uses vanilla textures for windows, so it should be using AWLS textures if they're installed, right?

No. You have to use AWLS meshes so that the AWLS textures get loaded. It's all custom. You have to have custom meshes to use custom textures, which in this case are what causes the smoke and lighting to be animated.

You can have texture replacers which will replace vanilla textures, but those are just tweaks to the vanilla textures and they would use the same name as vanilla so they get loaded instead. AWLS is an entirely different beast.

Thank you! But I thought the point of the IllumAnimation tool was to add that functionality to meshes. From the readme:

This utility was specifically designed to add animation sequences to .nif files to allow for two toggle-able states used in the Animated Window Lighting System modification for The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion.

These states specifically refer to a 'lit' version using a glowmapped texture and a material color animation (to create a flicker effect) as well as an 'unlit' version which uses the material and texture settings of the original file.

Am I misunderstanding what it does?

Sorry I misunderstood. I don’t know anything about that utility. You should still use it with custom meshes, even if they are a copy of the vanilla mesh that you’ve given a new name. I’d compare the AWLS meshes with the vanilla meshes to see exactly what was changed.

It sounds to me like the utility only adds the animations and you have to supply the textures.

Textures I don't have to worry about. It's an old mod that gives each city its own retextured Cathedral, but it doesn't change the window textures apart from moving them around, so it will just use AWLS textures. For the most part I can just duplicate the AWLS cathedral mesh and reassign the textures manually, but there's one model where the modder added some new faces. Maybe I can somehow copy the new properties from the AWLS mesh to that model.

Anyway, thanks for entertaining my question!

To your original question, yes if the custom mesh uses vanilla window textures and AWLS contains an edited vanilla mesh which also used that vanilla window texture, then after running IllumAnimation, it should automatically display the AWLS glowmap texture when lit.

Make sure that the texture paths in the mesh are relative, not full, they should begin with "textures\" not with "C:\" or "Data\"

The tool should have duplicated the mesh in the NIF which the window texture is used on, so there will now be two meshes for the window. Check that both have good texture file paths, one pointing to the vanilla texture, one pointing to a file with an "L" suffix for "lit".

Double-check you truly do have the AWLS textures installed which this mesh is using (should be the same filename as vanilla and in the same directory as the vanilla texture would be if extracted from the BSA, but suffixed with "L" before the underscore - there should be two, one ending "_g.dds" and the other ending "_n.dds")

Thanks Vorians. That seems to be exactly what the tool did, but all I get is a constant dull white glow. It did something, but it's not quite right. I have all the "L_" textures properly installed and the texture paths in Nifskope are fine, plus the meshes that came with AWLS work as expected. So something is weird.

The NIFs which came with AWLS don't appear to have any emmisive colour set at all, even though the text files to regenerate from the original NIFs list entries to set them to. Try changing the emmisive colour to 0 0 0 on the mesh which should be lit, see if that helps.

I did change all the RGB in the text file to 0 0 0 for that reason, no effect.

From what you've told me, I think I have a better idea of what's going on. As I say, the affected window meshes are always glowing, even in the daytime, and it doesn't appear that the lit textures are ever loading. So I think the awls esp is for whatever reason failing to recognize the modified mesh; it's not controlling the glow maps or changing the textures at all when it should.

I've come up with a workaround, so it's not a problem for me anymore, but it is weird.