• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
Leonardo

I consider of getting a M.2 SSD

I have been thinking to get myself a M.2 SSD and replace the 120 Gb Kingston SSD I previously used.  Which are now too small and for the last 2-3 years that SSD always had about 10 Gb left and that's not good.

About 2 years ago I visit my local computer store and they showed me a "How to install a M.2 SSD" video, but now I couldn't find that video so I guess this video will due.

Note that this video are not for my motherboard and I've a ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer motherboard, but the installation is pretty much the same as I recall it when watching the other video a few years ago.

However, I won't buy a M.2 SSD 240 Gb and I think using that will also be too full in no time, instead I figure that a M.2 SSD of 480 Gb is a lot better than the current SSD I have today.  But most larger M.2 SSD aren't cheap.  Any advice?

If your budget allows for it, M.2 is the best way to go.  If you want to save a few bucks, a SATA drive is still viable, but M.2 supporting NVMe is a beautiful thing.  From a cold boot, my Samsung 960 Evo doesn't even show the Windows loading screen.  It takes more time to POST than it does to load Windows.  They are more expensive, however.

When I built my current gaming PC, I bought a 240gb M.2 drive, because larger was excessive in price. I then used my existing 240gb SSD as secondary drive. I install things I think will benefit more from top speeds on the M.2, and things which have less need for speed go on the SSD. Then I have two 4tb SATA III and one 2tb SATA III to hold data. I'd suggest doing the same if cost is a concern, buy a 240gb M.2 for Windows and games which do a lot of data loading mid-play, and use your existing SSD to install programs and games which don't spend a lot of time loading. And of course don't use either drive for documents and stored data.

Why I won't buy a M.2 240 Gb SSD is because I often play ETW or NTW and the gamesaves for those games fill up free diskspace pretty fast. 

1st gamesave for ETW is 55-60 Mb (not compressed)

1st gamesave for NTW is about 30 Mb (compressed)

So really all you're asking is, should you buy a 480gb M.2 drive even though they're really expensive, or not?

The answer is simple: If you can afford it, buy it. Otherwise, don't. There's no more advice that can be offered where there are only two choices.

Another choice might be buy one even if it is not affordable when there is a payment plan on offer. Or to enter a competition to win one- or wait until they go on special.

Corsair do a line in refurbished units- there might be cheaper makes  e.g. Sandisk available as well.

Leo is asking if he should go M.2 or stick with SATA.  I agree with Vorians to some degree--go with what you can afford or are willing to pay.  If you have $500 go for a ~512GB M.2 or larger.  But if the money needs to be spared as much as possible, go cheaper--a SATA drive is roughly half the price per GB than that of an M.2-based drive and offers decent performance.  Beats the heck out of spinning platter drives.

It just depends on what you want to pay.  But, if you have money set aside for nothing but a new drive, try and go M.2; it's a modern option.

Real world difference between M.2 and SATA SSD is not too noticeable.  Game loads are a little more peppy.  As is Windows cold boots.  Maybe some file copies.

That and there's no need.  Defragging was designed for platter and arm based drives (HDDs) to consolidate all fragmented files into one or a couple close-together places.  This prevents the drives from spinning and the arm from moving across the platters more than necessary.  If there is a file fragmented all over a platter, the drive has to work harder to read the file bcause it's scattered all over the place.  Defrag moves the file together and the drive works less and is faster in return.

SSDs don't suffer from the same fragmentation slowdown.  Accessing memory takes the same amount of time no matter where the file is.  In fact, SSDs are actually programmed to fragment files for some reason that I forget.

To spread data usage evenly across available space, so as to minimise constant usage of the same parts of the drive by things like a temporary folder.

On 2018-08-14 at 10:35 PM, Malonn said:

If there is a file fragmented all over a platter, the drive has to work harder to read the file bcause it's scattered all over the place. 

There is another reason why defragging a HDD is important and that's cross-linked files.