• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Terrorix

Oblivion Crash on Load

Hello everyone!

So,I have been trying to mod Oblivion for some time now.Unfortunately for me,I have no modding skills and know few things about modding in general. 

This is my installation order (via Wrye Bash,all the mods except MenuQue are being shown on the screenshot):  http://prntscr.com/mq0rdx

I installed Oblivion XP using wizard. Problem is when I try to load a saved game(any saved game at all),the game crushes almost instantly.In the readme,it says that if you experiencing this kind of problem,you should double-check the installation and make sure you install Oblivion XP after any other that modifies the User Interface. 

I did that much,also uninstalled BTmod,which I was using with Dark UI,in case this was the issue(using 2 mods that modify the UI) but the problem remains. Is there any other reason this is happening? I really cannot understand what I do wrong.

Thank you in advance!

Much obliged!

I did as you said and the problem remains. Just informing that the game crushes when I load a saved game while I am playing in another saved game. When I am in the main menu,any saved game loads normally.Howver,I am able to use quick load.

However,I read somewhere that you generally should avoid loading a saved game while playing another but instead,go to main menu 1st and then load another saved game.I tried that,too but no luck either,the game crushes even when I try to exit to main menu. 

To summarize, the game run normally as long as I play the 1st saved game I choose to load. After that,whether I try to load another saved game or exit to main menu is 100% crush for me.

I know one can use the clean save method, but I haven't touched a modded Oblivion for a long time so I am bit rusty.  I think Anda knows what I'm referring to and she can point you in the right direction.

21 hours ago, Terrorix said:

However,I read somewhere that you generally should avoid loading a saved game while playing another but instead,go to main menu 1st and then load another saved game.I tried that,too but no luck either,the game crushes even when I try to exit to main menu.

This is correct, but more so. Always quit to desktop and relaunch the game to load a save once you have previously loaded a save, Oblivion suffers from an engine bug where it fails to clear the cache when loading reloading, resulting in some data from the previous gameplay bleeding into your load, which breaks scripts and quests and more.

So since your problem appears to be that you cannot reload without quitting to desktop, all should be good if you always quit to desktop before reloading a save.

17 minutes ago, Vorians said:

So since your problem appears to be that you cannot reload without quitting to desktop, all should be good if you always quit to desktop before reloading a save.

Is that a permanent solution to fix an engine bug?  I hope it isn't permanent. :obgate:

Vorians,this is good to know,however,as I mentioned in my previous message,I cannot even exit to main menu. The game crushes in this case,too. 

AndalayBay,I do use EngineBugFixes mod. Is there a chance that this mod creates the problem,instead of fixing it? The last time I played with a less modded Oblivion( I didn't use OBSE,Oblivion XP,EngineBugFixes and any UI mod) I didn't have this problem. I am not sure if it is cause due to my wrong installation order(load order is sorted by BOSS,so I assume there is no problem here) or a bug created by a mod alone or conflict between two or more mods. 

Edited by Terrorix

Is there any general rule on which order to install mods?? For example,should skin mods be loaded before or after overhaul mods or should overhaul mods be installed before or after mods that add new lands/quests to the game??? I even tried to play without Oblivion XP, readme of which it mentioned the possibility of having crushes when one is trying to load a saved game. Even without it,the problem remained,insta crush while I tried to exit to main menu.

Maybe this problem has to do with my install order. I will try to reinstall every mod with a slightly different order than I did before and hope it works. If not,I will have to live with it and relaunch the game every time I die or want to change saved game to play. This is definitely eyond my power and knowledge to fix.

12 hours ago, Terrorix said:

Is there any general rule on which order to install mods?

No, not in Wrye Bash but it might be important in OBMM.  But this must be done every time one have either uninstalled or installed a mod regardless if it's needed or not.

Schtern, yes I have.

Leonardo,what is the TES4LODGen??? Haven't heard of it before. Where can I find it?

EDIT: ok,I downloaded it from nexus. Didn't know I had to use this tool every time I change sth in load order.

Thank you !

Edited by Terrorix

Posted (edited)

Despite all my efforts,the problem persists. Nothing has changed. With Vanilla Oblivion,I have no such issue so it is obviously a problem caused by one(or more) mod(s) but I really cannot understand which. It is very strange as I have followed the instructions to the letter and double-checked them before launching the game. Anyone has any other idea as of what the source of this might be? This is driving me mad:crash:!!!!

Edited by Terrorix

Well first, stop adding new things like TES4LODGen. When you have a problem, you need to fix it before adding in more stuff, in case the new stuff adds new problems and you don't even spot them because they're hidden by the first problem.

So remove TES4LODGen and the files it generated. Start a new test character and see whether the problem occurs for their saves too. Start disabling mods one at a time to see if the problem goes away. If removing a mod does fix the problem, start restoring the OTHER mods you had disabled (but not the one whose removal fixed the problem) to see if you remain problem-free. If you do, then you can take a closer look at the disabled mod which was causing the problem.

56 minutes ago, Vorians said:

Well first, stop adding new things like TES4LODGen. When you have a problem, you need to fix it before adding in more stuff, in case the new stuff adds new problems and you don't even spot them because they're hidden by the first problem.

Why?  Since when did TES4LODGen become a problem of creating issues.  AFAIK TES4LODgen is a tool and not a mod similiar to what Wry Bash is.

I thought stop adding mods and what I mean no more uninstalling or reinstalling that sort of thing.

1 hour ago, Terrorix said:

How do I remeve the files TES4LODGen generated?? How do I find them?

Been a long time since I played, so cannot remember exactly, but I think it creates a folder "DistantLOD" in the Data folder, and fills it with hundreds of very small files (these tell the game what objects are meant to be visible when distant).

Once you have fixed the save game problem, then definitely use TES4LODGen, but for now, you should leave it alone and focus on fixing that problem.

54 minutes ago, Leonardo said:

Why?  Since when did TES4LODGen become a problem of creating issues.  AFAIK TES4LODgen is a tool and not a mod similiar to what Wry Bash is.

I thought stop adding mods and what I mean no more uninstalling or reinstalling that sort of thing.

Because Terrorix has a save game problem, and needs to get that fixed before trying to add more game changes. Making suggestions to improve the game can wait until after that problem is fixed, otherwise it's just confusing matters - you gave the impression that TES4LODGen would assist with the problem, when in fact it is completely unrelated.

@Terrorix, follow Vorians’ suggestion. You need to focus on finding the mod or combination of mods that is causing your problem. You could try the abomb fix, but that usually happens only after a long period of game play. Wrye Bash will tell you if you need to use the abomb fix when you try to run it.

When troubleshooting a mod issue it often saves time when going back to a gamesave that's working before the issue appeared in-game.

Then select that gamesave and check in the master lists of what mods that's installed and all those mods is likely not causing the issue.

Wasn't aware of this repair abomb choice,will try it,too.

Thank you all for your advices,if I find the problem,I will post it here so that others may be helped by this,too.

What I'd do as well is try to get the Player into an interior location, and save and see if it repros.

And do a Wrye Bash => Clean Data.

Another drastic method is to exit Wrye Bash, delete everything in the Data folder, restart Wrye Bash and do an Anneal all. Haven't tried it, and won't work if there is problem mod.

Or better, uninstall mods, delete the Data directory, and re-install Oblivion and some mods (unofficial patches and ones more generally known to be stable). Then try the save.

7 hours ago, Schtearn said:

Another drastic method is to exit Wrye Bash, delete everything in the Data folder, restart Wrye Bash and do an Anneal all. Haven't tried it, and won't work if there is problem mod.

WAT? Are you sure you meant to say that? That's a really bad idea, don't do it.