• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
AndalayBay

Elder Scrolls: Blades Early Access

Just encountered my first real bug. I was unable to apply a poison to a weapon. After trying three times, I got “Lorem Ipsum” as an error message and all my poisons, of that particular type, disappeared. :lmao: I reported the bug. Just a minor annoyance, although I did spend gold and materials to create that potion.

13 hours ago, Malonn said:

Greedy Bethesda.  Always wants more money.  This borderlines on tricking people though.  That's the way of games though.  We'll probably see it more and more often.

It's almost as if they make games for profit.

17 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

Also, I read in an article (it might be the one I linked above) that Bethesda had already made $500,000 on Blades. That was a while ago. We’ve got to get our mobile game done!

I think most of Bethesda's games are quite successful, dating back to Arena.  Redguard was a bomb, I believe.  You're working on a mobile game, AB?  You and your husband?  What's it about?

8 hours ago, Vorians said:

It's almost as if they make games for profit.

Yes.  But it should be about a balance of quality content and money, IMO.  Not speaking of Bethesda specifically here--I love most of their games.  It seems company's rush their games to meet deadlines (which tie in to profit) and skimp on quality.  Release and patch.  But the patches sometimes seemed less polished than to take their time from the get-go and polish before release.  Blizzard did it with Diablo III; it took forever to release that game.

It's just a solitaire game. However we have a unique method for changing the difficulty that I've never seen in other games.

Bethesda has actually released several patches for Blades. I just hope they can open it up a bit more.

There is one interesting feature. The dungeon dives are little quests or jobs. You're tasked with collecting six portions of glow dust, for example. Well when you're done, a dialogue box pops up giving you the option to complete the quest or continue to explore. You can continue to explore to loot the last bit of treasure from the dungeon. Once you're done, you can pick Complete Quest from the menu. In any case, when you complete the quest, you are teleported back to town. I like the fact that you don't have to trudge back through the dungeon again. Although they made most of the dungeons circular anyway, so if you do finish it, you usually wind up back where you started.

8 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

It's just a solitaire game. However we have a unique method for changing the difficulty that I've never seen in other games.

WIP thread?

Solitaire eh?  Sounds neat.  You say you'd rather not say too much about it, so I'll save questions for the thread.  One quick one though: how long have you been working on it?  Spare time thing, or do you make time?

We actually wrote the program years ago in BASIC for DOS. :lmao: I’ve been trying to find the source code so I don’t have to reproduce the logic, but it looks like it’s gone. Jimi works full-time so I’ll have to do most of the coding. He’ll help me with the logic.

Back to Blades. I think this silly game has me hooked somehow. The dungeons are dull, but the enemies and combat aren’t bad. Hopefully they’ll add more variety as the game develops. I might even buy some gems!

Bethesda released another big update to the game and they might actually be listening to complaints! First, you don’t need an account on Bethesda.net to play anymore. The game is now available on the iTunes store and I’m guessing it would also be available on the Android equivalent. Second, and this is a big one for me, you can now get more crafting materials from daily and weekly jobs. I’m finding the jobs very difficult because I’m encountering enemies that I just can’t beat, so I need to craft potions and enchant my weapons, but I can’t because I don’t have the materials.  Another nice feature is that you now get a pop-up taking you to your daily reward from the store. I know about the daily reward, but I often forget to check. Today I got a gold chest. When you get chests in the daily reward, they open immediately.

I did spend a bit of money on the game to buy enough gems to get the Imperial Shipment special. That gave me a bunch of building materials for the town so I was able to add several improvements to my town.

I’ve had enough. My character dies with every job now, despite following the various suggestions regarding weapons and enchantments. I find that I just can’t get my character to react fast enough. I’ve always played a Breton in TES games. That meant that it would be a hard grind during parts of the game, but I could muddle through until my character got strong enough. That’s not possible with Blades because you can’t play as a mage. You can’t cast spells from a distance before you close with the enemy. As a result you’re trying to push the enemy away long enough to cast your spells. Ultimately you fail, the spell backfires, which damages your character and you die from the barrage of blows you’re taking from the enemy. I’m continually meeting trolls and wispmothers and they kill me in two hits. Not fun.

On top of all that, I can’t even buy or make enough healing potions to muddle through. Tonight I had to attempt jobs with no healing potions at all in the hope that I encountered enemies I could survive. Nope. Wispmothers and trolls. Whack whack dead. Fuck this.

Bethesda is making loads from this game right now. Wait until the fervor dies down and the game gets more reasonable. I’d say two years at least. I’ve started playing Fallout Shelter again and it’s much more reasonable than it was originally. I’ll post a separate thread about that.

Fallout Shelter?  I'm not familiar with that, and I like to fancy myself as being familiar with the Fallout series.  Google time.

It's a mobile game they released at E3 in 2015 as part of the promotionals leading up to Fallout 4. As mobile games go, it's actually pretty good, but IMO you're better off playing it on PC instead since the phone UIs can be hard to do things in it with.

Wait, wait, ..."in it with"... that can't be proper grammar.  It threw me reading it.

But, thanks for the response.  I will skip it in favor of Fallout 4 (which I have installed and actively play).  I still may give Blades a go--hey, it's free, right.

I’ve been offline for the past two days. :crash: Before going offline, I think I started to find a strategy that might keep me playing Blades for a while longer. It is getting tedious though so Beth will definitely need to add more content to keep people playing. I think the Absorb spell and Adrenaline Dodge ability are the keys to keeping my guy alive. I still need a ton of healing potions though.

Fallout Shelter is good for a tablet but I can’t imagine playing it on a phone. I have a nice big iPad and even with that, I have trouble finding the Mysterious Stranger when he makes an appearance. Soon my vault will be too big for me to find him at all. I’ll start a separate thread about it.

I’ve had enough and deleted Blades. You can’t actually delete an app on Apple. Some apps start over when you install them again, others pick up from where you left off. From what I’ve read, Blades restarts from where you left off. I spent real money to buy some gems to buy an Imperial shipment, so I actually hope it restores my purchase. If not, I won’t spend any more real money on this. Anyway I have no gold and no healing potions, so I just die on every job or quest I attempt. I’m done.

Ok, I reinstalled this. At first it started over, taking me through the tutorial again. Then it came to the part where it gave me the option to sign on to Bethesda.net. This is no longer mandatory, but I opted to do so. At that point, I was given the option of continuing my old game or continuing with the new game. I opted for the new game as my old game is unplayable. This time I’m being more careful with my character development. It is very hard to cast spells in this game because all combat is up close and if the enemy hits you while you are preparing to cast the spell, it will backfire. This is one of the things I really don’t like about this game. I prefer to cast spells from a distance and only close in with the enemy once I’ve already softened them up with my spells. :P

More updates. Bethesda has continued to release updates for this that tweak the balance and costs. The updates are looking good so far. They’ve added another feature to the Arena that allows you to have one-on-one battles with a miscellaneous NPC. These are quite easy so far and a good way to collect some gold. Bethesda says that the PvP battles are “coming soon”. Personally I’m not interested in that, but it sounds like it will appeal to many players.

I’ve found that the updates award a lot more gems, which I’m really happy with. I was also given the Watcher’s Helm and Sword in my new game, which I really wasn’t expecting. I got them much later and really didn’t need them anymore, so I sold them. I’ve also gotten a few other gifts for my early play that have really helped. The dungeon crawls are still quite repetitive, but Beth has added more wilderness jobs to help break the monotony. I still wish I could fire a spell from a distance, but I’m starting to figure out the timing in combat, so I guess I can say I’m liking this more and will continue to play.