• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
Leonardo

Steam - Discussion

Now, I begin understand why some people really hate Steam, but this one does not hate Steam with the same argument as the other people do instead it's about Steam and its weird issues I got with Steam today.

Let me tell you, Steam was really acting kind of strange today and everything started when I suddenly decided to have a look at my Discover queue in the Steam shop.

I often look on several Discover queues in a row and so far it has been working without having a single issue, until to today that is.  What happen was that I suddenly got a message saying I need to login despite for already being logged in.

I dunno how many times I had to do exactly the same thing over and over again, so every time it happen I simple went back to the main menu in the Steam shop then I clicked on the Discover queue and everything seems to be working.

Except for one thing.  After I got tired of looking on the Discover queue I wanted to play Rome TW - Barbarian Invasion, but could I launch it hell no regardless what I did or tried.  Period!

So, after almost 1-2 hours I had enough of this crap and I decided to uninstall Steam then reinstall it, but I guess that I was too upset and perhaps a bit too eager to get everything working again and now I have to reinstall every game that I previously had installed and working.

On top of all that Windows System Restore Point doesn't work either, so I guess that I probably need to toss out the entire system.

Which means I need to reinstall Windows 7 Home from scratch and all that is casued by Steam and its god damn weird issues.  Sometimes Steam really sucks. :realmad::wallbash:

Steam didn't cause any of that. You just said your own over-reaction caused the need to reinstall all Steam games.

Steam didn't break Windows System Restore Point either. If it's broken in your setup, that's a Windows error not a Steam error.

Steam sometimes fails to detect that you are logged in when their servers are very busy. Usually just leaving Steam alone for 30 minutes is all you need to do to resolve it. As for the game not launching, the reinstall of just Steam would probably have resolved that, coupled with a reboot of the computer. However since you had unrelated system problems perhaps that was the cause of the game not launching: it may be that Windows should be accused of sometimes really sucking, not Steam.

1 hour ago, Vorians said:

As for the game not launching, the reinstall of just Steam would probably have resolved that, coupled with a reboot of the computer.

Tried that, but still I have the same issue.  I can't launch RTW no matter what I do and every time I launch it I see it in Steam as "Rome Total War - Run", which I can't fix.  Period! :no:

I even cleared out some register keys in Windows Registry.   Did it help?  No, it didn't work.

Is it possible to verify the game installation through Steam?

It isn't long before Windows 7 becomes legacy. Can you launch the game from Explorer? In any case, a chkdsk wouldn't be a bad idea.

3 hours ago, Schtearn said:

Is it possible to verify the game installation through Steam?

I don't think so.   Does a reinstallation count? :P

Yesterday, I return to Steam and try to reinstall all games I had before this incident happen.  When I began reinstalling yesterday I was a little tired, so I decided to continue today and now I discover something I haven't seen before.

What I am talking about is a new feature for a game installation in Steam and it seems it has to do when moving a game installation in Steam.

How do it is to select what game you want to move then right click and click on the properties, which now have a new button called "Move installation folder" and click on that button to change the install path for the selected game.