• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Terrorix

Missing .ini files(?)

Hey everyone. Just built a new computer and I am about to play a heavily modded oblivion. While the game launches as it should, in both saved games and new game I experience these:  

I use Wrye Bash to install mods and BOSS  to sort load order. I checked the Data directory of Oblivion and I do not see any .ini file missing. My character dies as soon as I get the missing "All Natural" .ini message and I am forced to load another saved game or exit to main menu/ the game. Why would the game not be able to read these???

20190807230256_1.jpg

20190807230245_1.jpg

20190807230237_1.jpg

I responded in the PM you sent.  You're INI's are not where they should be.  "<path to Oblivion.exe>\Data\Ini" is where they should be.  Oblivion XP may need them in the "\Data\" folder--I'm not sure as I rarely run that mod and am not familiar with it.

Nope, it wants data\ini too. If you’re installing with Wrye Bash, it should be creating the directories and putting the files there. Are you running the installation wizards? You should be running the wizards from the Installers tab in Wrye Bash.

Yes,I run the wizard when it is available and that's the strange thing of this. I tried placing manually all these .ini files in the supposed file in the data directory but oblivion still does not read them

So you've got Oblivion\Data\ini as directories and all the ini files are in that directory? Where do you have Oblivion installed? If it's under Program Files, then Windows might be interfering. Don't install Oblivion to Program Files - it needs to be able to write to the installation directory and Windows won't allow it. I recommend something like D:\Games or C:\Games. If it's not that, then it could be a permissions issue, but that would be a first that I've heard of.

Yes,that's right. I have a separate disk where I store all my games and mods and another for the whole OS. It is unlikely the OS system to intervene with Wrye Bash and the Oblivion data as it is now. There is no connection between them.

I have to go to work, but check your PM.  All I can say is that you have them installed wrong.  I'll check back tonight.

Yeah I’d try installing them again. You might have to customize Wrye Bash. I believe that the default is to have the mods folder outside your Oblivion installation so that you can use the same set of mods with several game instances. I’d check the WB readme. Personally I have a Bash ini file to change the WB mods folder to be in each Oblivion game instance. If Wrye Bash seems in order, then have a look at how to install mods with BAIN. You might find TESCOSI helpful, although some of the instructions are probably out of date. Tomlong’s general mod installation instructions still apply and her section on installation order for mods is extremely helpful and still applies. She has a lot of information on installing mods with BAIN.

It seems a fresh install of the entire install list has fixed the problem of the missing .ini files so all are good now. Do not know why the 1st time Wrye Bash didn't install the .ini files where it should but it did this time and the game is working,at least for now.

Aside from pure mesh and texture replacers (mods with nothing but the "meshes" and "textures" folders), you should take installing slow.  Install one or two mods, launch the game, load a save.  After 7 or 8 mods, play for a couple minutes.  This will help to isolate any issues as they happen.  Once you get familiar with a set load order (one that hasn't changed much) then you can install 100 mods at a time and load up the game.  A load order you know is stable should be stable through game installs.  If you've added tons of mods, take it slow, man.  A side effect of a more tedious approach is the build up of anticipation--once you get your order under control you won't be able to wait to play.  :)

Will do so,Malonn. Thank you both for your instructions! Btw,Anda,can you tell me if Obliviom XP is compatible with Cobl changes in classes(attributes,skills etc.)?