• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
Sigurd Stormhand

Arthmoor and halgari in conversation, moderated by Sigurd

Last night, in an effort to clear the air and generate some good will Arthmoor and halgari sat down and had a conversation about some of the issues around Mod-Packs/Mod-Lists. The conversation took place in a private channel on my Discord and I moderated. All parties agreed screen-caps of the conversation would be made publicly available - so here you go:

https://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/topic/5528-arthmoor-and-halgari-in-conversation-moderated-by-sigurd/

I posted over at AFK Mods, so why not repost it here too.

I read everything and I think Sigurd is right, automatic mod installation tools is the future and are here to stay until something else replaces it someday in the future.

However, I have my doubts the Wabbajack mod installation tool will work, because there is one thing halgari seem to miss and what I am talking about is what policy external hosting sites has.

For example, Mediafire is a well known and reliable hosting site and have served a lot modders for a long time, but there are other hosting sites e.g MEGA, ModDB, GameFront (resurrected here) just to mention a few and I know there are a lot of other hosting sites out there.  But most of them are not known in the TES modding community, not that I am aware of.

Every external hosting site has a policy in which can be changed anytime and sometimes without a warning or without question asked.

As I recall it that is what happen on the old GameFront site back in 2012/2013 I think it was when they suddenly changed their policy for every hosted file to actually delete all files that haven't been downloaded in a period of 90 days without a warning in advance.

How I know this has to do with some mods a TW modder (now retired) hosted on GameFront (old site) and when I wanted to downloaded a mod or mod tool all I got was a message saying "The file is missing..." or simliar and soon a lot people on TWC discover a lot of missing mods on GameFront over 1 year before GameFront was shut down in early 2014 I think.

Sorry for a being a little long winded, but I felt that I needed to explain why I doubt the Wabbajack mod installation tool will work.

Anyway, I don't want to be pessimistic without suggesting something else.

What I suggest is to let a community site, like AFK Mods (I am not saying AFK Mods should take care of the Wabbajack tool), handle the Wabbajack tool and doing that might be beneficial for a lot of people.

No drastic changes without knowning what have changed will happen, unless the host have stop hosting a site.