• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
AndalayBay

COVID-19 - What a Mess

If you haven’t been affected by this, you must live in the middle of nowhere! The Canada-US border has been partially closed. The border between France and Germany has checkpoints for the first time since the war. My husband is now working from home. We’re short on toilet paper and can’t find any. The city has shut down all attractions and now even bars and restaurants have been told to close and only offer online delivery if they can. We’re worried about the financial impact of all this. The province has passed various legislation so that hourly workers and part-time staff don’t lose their jobs. All major sports leagues have shut down or suspended their seasons. Many organizations and individual players are donating funds to support the hourly staff that work in the facilities.

Why all the fuss? The virus itself isn’t that serious FOR HEALTHY PEOPLE. The problem is that the virus is virulent and will spread quickly if people mix, as they would while travelling and commuting to work. If allowed to spread, it will infect those that are susceptible, and that’s why the WHO and more local health agencies are demanding what they’re calling “social distancing”. You can have the virus but not have any symptoms, so that’s the reason for the abundance of caution.

In all this mess, we are trying to breed a couple of our purebred cats while also having a visiting female from another breeder! So one of our males is under pressure to perform. :lol: If the females do get pregnant, the gestation is nine weeks and the kittens won’t be ready for adoption for another twelve weeks, so hopefully all will be well by then.

Even people who live in the middle of nowhere are affected :P

The State of Utah closed all public schools statewide for 14 days (beyond the expected spring break that's already coming), all restaurants and bars are closed except for delivery options, pretty much every major event that had been planned has been canceled, and there's even several counties that are enforcing travel restrictions in and out of other nearby counties.

When they said "May you live in interesting times" I doubt this is what anyone had in mind.

Ontario and Alberta have just declared states of emergency, which allows the government to pose more restrictions and free up funds to support hospitals and long-term care facilities. All restaurants and bars are closed unless they can offer take-out or delivery. Our public schools are also closed for an extra two weeks, so March break will be three weeks long.

We’re hearing similar stories from around the world.

Yeah.  Ohio too.  Places where people gather in numbers greater than 20 are closed.  That means restaurants, gyms, theaters, etc.  Grocery store shelves are bare.  Schools closed.  Wall to wall coverage from the clucking hens at the lying mainstream media.

I have heard conspiratorial theories.  I have heard that there are two strains of the virus, one more deadly than the other.  It is probably worse, as far as the number of cases (and deaths) than we hear.  But, is this hype warranted?  I don't know.

I wonder what the future will bring...

Stick to reliable news sources and ignore most stuff you read online. Quite frankly, it’s just the flu. As I said earlier, the problem is that you can carry the virus with absolutely no symptoms so you can pass it along to others. If you come into contact with someone with existing conditions like respiratory issues, the virus can be serious.

We’re getting very annoyed because it would seem the health experts would prefer people to starve to death rather than pass on the flu to someone else. Restaurant staff are being laid off and told to apply for EI. However they will only get reimbursed for their basic wage, which is below the minimum wage because the government takes their tips into account. They will not be able to afford housing and food on EI.

The border between the US and Canada has now been closed to all except “essential services”. Don’t worry, the flow of illegal drugs and guns won’t be affected.

Things are getting serious here in the UK.

I'm one of those with underlying health conditions which mean I'm at risk of dying from this virus due to how it can affect the lungs. My lung capacity is already quite poor, plus I have a suppressed immune system. Rob $ I went into quarantine this Monday morning before the government announced in the afternoon that it was recommended. We're to isolate ourselves for at least 3 months. Social distancing and working from home were recommended, as was staying away from pubs, cinemas, theatres and restaurants. 

A whole raft of measures were introduced the next day to assist businesses and we should be able to apply for a 3 holiday from our mortgages, but we're waiting for these to be implemented and available.

Today, the closure of schools from this weekend was announced.

Meanwhile, the numbers of those known to have the virus are growing exponentially, as are the numbers of those dying.

We have been and are continuing to be sensible when it comes to food and loo roll etc., but the panic buying has been shocking.

Sadly, I think there's much worse to come.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Sue said:

staying away from pubs, cinemas, theatres and restaurants.

Most of them will be closed down anyhow. Equally disturbing is the various sporting venues, art galleries, libraries, and zoos. Schools? Hope not the universities as well.

2 hours ago, Sue said:

Things are getting serious here in the UK.

I'm one of those with underlying health conditions which mean I'm at risk of dying from this virus due to how it can affect the lungs. My lung capacity is already quite poor, plus I have a suppressed immune system. Rob $ I went into quarantine this Monday morning before the government announced in the afternoon that it was recommended. We're to isolate ourselves for at least 3 months. Social distancing and working from home were recommended, as was staying away from pubs, cinemas, theatres and restaurants. 

A whole raft of measures were introduced the next day to assist businesses and we should be able to apply for a 3 holiday from our mortgages, but we're waiting for these to be implemented and available.

Today, the closure of schools from this weekend was announced.

Meanwhile, the numbers of those known to have the virus are growing exponentially, as are the numbers of those dying.

We have been and are continuing to be sensible when it comes to food and loo roll etc., but the panic buying has been shocking.

Sadly, I think there's much worse to come.

The government has just announced similar assistance here. It’s a $80 billion plan. Mortgage deferral, increased child benefits, bi-weekly income for those without EI, our income tax deadline has been extended until June 1st for individuals, Aug 31st for small business. We’ll be getting money back from our tax return anyway.

I don’t know if this is for all schools, but many colleges and universities have reverted to online classes only. The University of Toronto has told all students to leave their dorms, but will make arrangements in “exceptional” circumstances. There are a lot of international students who won’t be able to get home.

Most of Canada’s airlines have halted international flights, except repatriation flights to return Canadians home.

Lots of panic buying here too. In fact there have been fist fights. I really hate how ugly come people can be. We are running out of toilet paper and can’t find any. We have a large online grocery delivery network and we’ll be taking advantage of that. The city has lifted the ban on supply deliveries to stores so deliveries can happen 24 hrs a day, so hopefully stores will get stocked again soon.

The city of Toronto is super quiet. It’s downright creepy. A subway trip that would normally take at least an hour apparently only takes 15-20 min now. Lots of empty seats now when normally people would be packed in like sardines.

On 3/17/2020 at 9:52 PM, AndalayBay said:

Stick to reliable news sources ...

Heh, that's impossible as there is no such thing :P

Local media in the area where you (the general you) live may be less problematic, but they're all still beholden to their ratings systems and a crisis makes for good ratings. So they're going to keep it alive for as long as they can.

Also, I know this may sound paranoid or something, but watch what your governments are doing behind the scenes while everyone's attention is on the virus. This is when they like to sneak in crap we'd normally jump on them for in the open.

Our news is pretty good. They verify their stories. They also have a lot of interviews with the Minister of Health and other officials directly involved, although our Minister of Health is a nitwit  that has a flair for the dramatic. Our stations also carry the announcements from the head of the WHO in person. They carry the feed or whatever.

I know you guys have a big problem with news as drama. Even the more reliable networks have been found to not be verifying their stories. There was a big hullabaloo about that a few years ago. I guess they’re all competing and in such a hurry they just post shit before it’s confirmed.

That does sound paranoid! But yeah our government sneaks shit in all the time. We don’t need the virus for distraction, our government can do shit without approval anyway. The previous provincial Liberal government cancelled a bunch of building contracts for votes and it cost taxpayers billions. Now the PC government is doing the same. :shrug:

Both CTV and CBC are offering their news channels for free right now so you guys might be able to find them on cable or satellite. The CBC is the Canadian equivalent of the BBC in Britain.

Justin Trudeau is "infected" by the coronavirus.  I don't know much about him, but things I read imply he's not a nice fella.  Imply.  I do not read empirical fact.  Let me say that.  Maybe there is more to his "infection" than what the media says?

The mainstream media in America are liars.  They serve an organization that does not want the best interest of the global population.  Earth.  Media outside of America is not what I research.

I do not know what the coronavirus is "about", but I do not believe it is an accident from the animal kingdom.  I believe it is a bioweapon.  To what end?  I have not read enough to come to a conclusion.

I hear (and am inclined to believe--though I am not convinced) that some BIG things are happening underneath the "blanket" of the Covid-19.  I know this: nothing like this has happened in recent times.  Innocent?  I find suspicion.

1 hour ago, Malonn said:

Justin Trudeau is "infected" by the coronavirus.  I don't know much about him, but things I read imply he's not a nice fella.  Imply.  I do not read empirical fact.  Let me say that.  Maybe there is more to his "infection" than what the media says?

The mainstream media in America are liars.  They serve an organization that does not want the best interest of the global population.  Earth.  Media outside of America is not what I research.

I do not know what the coronavirus is "about", but I do not believe it is an accident from the animal kingdom.  I believe it is a bioweapon.  To what end?  I have not read enough to come to a conclusion.

I hear (and am inclined to believe--though I am not convinced) that some BIG things are happening underneath the "blanket" of the Covid-19.  I know this: nothing like this has happened in recent times.  Innocent?  I find suspicion.

Wow, lot’s of misinformation there. First, Justin Trudeau does not have COVID-19. His wife does so both of them are quarantining themselves. Justin is the son of Pierre Elliot Trudeau who was our Prime Minister in the late 60’s and 70’s. He told you Americans to fuck off when you wanted to forward base your nuclear weapons in Canada. Nixon was the American President at the time. We are actually disappointed in Justin. We were hoping he would be more like his dad and tell everybody to fuck off when needed.

Coronavirus, or COVID-19, is not a bioweapon. Household pets, like cats and dogs, carry Coronavirus, but it is a different strain. Coronavirus is carried in farm animals and this particular version came out of the open animal markets they have in China. They have live animals in unsanitary conditions and they slaughter them there. Coronavirus is a group of viruses and the term describes what they look like, so the proper term for the virus is COVID-19. SARS and MERS were previous instances of this virus and they also came from animals. Basically Coronavirus is your common cold. COVID-19 is a respiratory virus which is not serious for healthy people. The people that are dying from it have underlying medical conditions, like poor lung function.

Coronavirus happens all the time. As I said, it’s your common cold. COVID-19 is more serious and we dealt with this kind of virus previous when we had SARS and MERS so it hasn’t been a long time. COVID-19 isn’t as deadly as SARS, but it’s much more virulent, which means it spreads quite easily. That’s the reason it has been labelled as a pandemic. If we allow it to spread, it could mutate and become really nasty so we’re being told to practice social distancing and governments are shutting down borders. 

Bioweapons are meant to kill a lot of people and be controllable. COVID-19 is neither.

The media is but one entity "infected by the coronavirus" hype. Fortunately, Down Under we have the government sponsored Media Watch "to keep the bastards honest." Here's their take on the latest:

https://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/episodes/virus/12060796

If COVID-19 were designed as a bio-weapon, it would get a poor rating, many bio-weapons of past and present were deadly to all if there were no cure or vaccine.

On a more cheerful note: some Canadian distilleries are producing hand sanitizer or 65% alcohol for sterilization to combat those who stockpiled those products and are now trying to sell them for a profit. They are selling the hand sanitizer for $3, which is less than the regular price and the alcohol is being given away for free to those that need it.

Ran into this video last week - has a really good breakdown of what exactly COVID-19 is. Which is a strain of the SARS virus. COVID-19 actually describes the ensuing lung infection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0A0LyMru3I

I've also heard the theory on it being a botched bioweapon release as well, ironically NOT from any of our own US media either. And yes, I know, bioweapons are designed to kill billions. When they're finished. According to this theory, the virus was still being developed using Coronavirus methodology because it works and we humans don't develop immunities to them easily.

As far as where it actually came from, the only thing anyone seems to agree on is that it's from the Wuhan region of China.

I guess we’ll see what happens in Iran. Last I heard they aren’t taking any of the warnings seriously and are still running open markets as part of a holiday. 

1 hour ago, Arthmoor said:

Ran into this video last week - has a really good breakdown of what exactly COVID-19 is. Which is a strain of the SARS virus. COVID-19 actually describes the ensuing lung infection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0A0LyMru3I

I've also heard the theory on it being a botched bioweapon release as well, ironically NOT from any of our own US media either. And yes, I know, bioweapons are designed to kill billions. When they're finished. According to this theory, the virus was still being developed using Coronavirus methodology because it works and we humans don't develop immunities to them easily.

As far as where it actually came from, the only thing anyone seems to agree on is that it's from the Wuhan region of China.

That was a good video with a lot of useful information and even if I am not a English speaker I did catched a thing or two.

Here is a quick update what has happen in Sweden the last few days.  I think it was yesterday that Sweden closed its border for foreigners who come to Sweden from non-EU countries or doesn't fulfill the exceptions from being letting into Sweden will be stop at the border check point.  This is in place for one month with the possibility to extend it with a couple of weeks or maybe a month.

Right now, Stockholm has a critical medical situation and today I heard on the news that even Gothenburg might get the same situation as Stockholm.

Also, Sweden closed every education center (high school, university along with a few other education facilities) that has adult students one day before GB decided to do the same.

I haven’t heard of any cases in any Scandinavian country, so hopefully those measures will keep you clear. 

A "bioweapon" doesn't have to mean mass death, necessarily.  Perhaps by definition, but what I mean is it is released artificially to serve an agenda.  I have heard population reduction.  I have also heard vaccine deployment.  As well as global economy manipulation.  And a cover for massive global operations that are perhaps underway right now.  I do not believe it is the product of the animal kingdom insofar as this current epidemic is concerned.  I've heard the mainstream explanation and I don't buy it.  Maybe I'm wrong.  We are all victims of being wrong from time to time.

If I remember right, this is twice the hype of SARS and MERS.  I don't remember my own damn name so keep that in mind, but those strains did not have much of an effect globally, not like COVID-19.  It's early yet and numbers are likely not accurate, but COVID-19 is less deadly than SARS and MERS yet has way more of an impact on the daily lives of people of the globe.

Let's just see what else transpires, shall we.  I hear America at least will go into near blackout conditions.  Maybe distractions are being removed for a big announcement?  Maybe we are being told to stay inside because things are happening around us that could be dangerous?  I'm just offering alternate explanations besides the BS mainstream.

I will close by saying I don't know.  Nor does anyone else.

SARS (1 and 2), MERS, COVID-19, and the "Common Cold" are all Coronaviruses. Very contagious among humans and we don't develop lasting immunity to them. So yes, certainly possible they could have been researching a bioweapons application for a particularly nasty strain. It's not so outlandish to think that it could be an escape from the lab. Not all bioweapon escapes need to become The Stand.

It also pays to keep in mind that COVID-19 hasn't yet killed anywhere close to the number of people that the bog standard seasonal influenza ourbreaks do each year. So there's an element of false crisis involved here.

As for the whole animal kingdom thing, the rumor has it that this came from a bunch of idiots eating bat heads or something and being rather unsanitary about it.

Bottom line is, this will pass. You'll probably even catch it and have no idea what you've got because your body will display all of the same symptoms as a seasonal cold. Which means most of the same things we all do to ease our symptoms will work just as well as they always have. The panic being generated from this is overblown.

On 2020-03-21 at 8:12 AM, AndalayBay said:

I haven’t heard of any cases in any Scandinavian country, so hopefully those measures will keep you clear. 

You haven't?

We in Sweden do have cases and IIRC it all started when a 20 year Asian female who arrived from Mohan contacted the hospital where she lives about the symtoms she had.  Unfortuntely, I haven't heard what happen to her.

However, most of the cases we have seems to be imported from Northen Italy, which is a popular region of vacation to the Swedes.

5 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

The panic being generated from this is overblown.

Agreed.  I remember how it was back in mid 80's when HIV started to spread around the world.  Suddenly, a lot of people was afraid about touching a person who was gay.

The Canadian Olympic team has been pulled from the summer Olympics if they aren’t postponed. Australia and Poland have done the same. Ontario has ordered that all non-essential businesses shut down. Basically grocery stores and pharmacies will remain open. The Ontario government has some sense: beer and liquor stores have been deemed essential and they will remain open. Yes, they know better than to expect Canadians to remain quarantined at home without beer, wine or liquor. ;)

Lol, Canadians are wise.  We all have nothing if we don't have our alcohol.

I thought I heard that the Olympics have indeed been postponed for a year.

Yeah they finally announced that yesterday. Once you guys pulled your team as well, there was no sense trying to have them. The pandemic might be over by July (we hope so anyway) but athletes will have gone several months without training at that point. Well at least they’ll be no worries about the facilities being finished!

Sign in to follow this